Error Contact Storage

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
I need some help please. I rooted and downloaded Root Explorer and downloaded the two files provided, but I'm still getting a force close everytime I try to open a contact. What else can I do?

Permissions may need changed...

----posted maxx'ed out----

lherch

Reaction score
Permissions may need changed...

You are correct, they did need to be changed and I found another thread on this forum that helped. Thank you to SGMD1 for helping me and thaDroidz for the permissions suggestion. I'm so happy now!!!!!!!!!

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
You are correct, they did need to be changed and I found another thread on this forum that helped. Thank you to SGMD1 for helping me and thaDroidz for the permissions suggestion. I'm so happy now!!!!!!!!!

No problem glad to help. Although sgmd1 did state in the post above that had the links to change permissions.
:(

lherch

Reaction score
No problem glad to help. Although sgmd1 did state in the post above that had the links to change permissions.
:(

You are correct and I missed that in my panic. Thanks again to SGMD1 and you too. When your in a panic with a "broken" phone, sometimes you search, ask questions and get answers, but overlook them.

I wish I'd come to this forum a long time ago before visiting another one and trying to get help, you guys help without complaining about "noobs" being stupid.

Thanks again from a very happy Droid 4 owner!

pl3x

Reaction score
hey guys,
i did the same thing as OP, and i have the files in the system/app folder, but when i click on the yahoo .apk to install it, it says "Application not installed". all the permissions are correct, and its mount r/w. any ideas?

thanks!

edit: i just realized that installing from system/app isnt the problem, and that it doesnt need to be installed further than being in the folder, so it might just one of the other authenticator apps i deleted. . . but i still have no clue haha.

fonpro

Reaction score
I am stuck, when I drag the files to my phone so I can install them, I cannot browse with my PC to put them into /system. When I put them in the SD card then go to root explorer with the phone, I can't see them with my phone but my PC can see them there. Please help and go slow I am new to this.

Dave Lister

Reaction score
fonpro said:
I am stuck, when I drag the files to my phone so I can install them, I cannot browse with my PC to put them into /system. When I put them in the SD card then go to root explorer with the phone, I can't see them with my phone but my PC can see them there. Please help and go slow I am new to this.

Are you trying to access the files through root explorer while your phone is plugged into your PC? If so, that will not work. While the phone is plugged in, the SD card is only visible to the PC and not the phone.

fonpro

Reaction score
I do know the card does not mount when plugged in so no it is not when plugged in as I can see all other things on the SD card just not these files I desperately need to fix contacts. I am using R/W with root explorer. Please help anyone.

fonpro

Reaction score
I got all the files into system/ap and all permission checked and green to allow all and contacts will not work. I need this fixed badly. Any other suggestions?

Dave Lister

Reaction score
Did you also change the file ownership to root? If not, do "chown root,root ./*" in /system/app.

NiPaMo

Reaction score
I am having this problem with my contacts also. I moved the yahoo files into the sytem/app. They are all there. I rebooted my phone and it did not fix the problem. I don't understand what people are talking when they say you have to change permissions or ownership. I tried to install the files and they all come up with a message saying "application not installed." Can someone please explain what I need to do next?

Edit: I think I figured out the permissions thing. All of the missing files are now set to
User: r,w,x
Group: r,w,x
Other: r,w,x
User: root
Group: root

Is this correct? It still does not work after this. Am I missing something?

fonpro

Reaction score
I am having this problem with my contacts also. I moved the yahoo files into the sytem/app. They are all there. I rebooted my phone and it did not fix the problem. I don't understand what people are talking when they say you have to change permissions or ownership. I tried to install the files and they all come up with a message saying "application not installed." Can someone please explain what I need to do next?

Edit: I think I figured out the permissions thing. All of the missing files are now set to
User: r,w,x
Group: r,w,x
Other: r,w,x
User: root
Group: root

Is this correct? It still does not work after this. Am I missing something?

I used Ghost Commander and set CHMON to User: root, Group: root and still no fix yet. Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

NiPaMo

Reaction score
I figured out that the correct permissions are rw--r--r--root--root. Still not working. Can anyone please help here?

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
If you deleted system apks you need to copy the same ones back to the system folder. You don't have to try and install like a downloaded app. I like es file explorer, it generally helps with getting the permissions done right. If you copied them ok but it still doesn't work then you might try a data reset. If that still fails then you can always fastboot back to stock.