Erratic when connected by USB to Computer

mikecox

Reaction score
My GT-P5210 tablet drives me crazy, the way it behaves when I plug it into my computer. The first thing that happens is the "Adobe Elements-Photo Downloader opens and the only way to get rid of it is in the Task Manager.

When I'm moving around in the folder tree sometimes the hour glass comes up, and stays, at other times I am able to drill down into the external card and manage files!

Sometime I can move video to the tablet, other times the KitKat issue pops up; which is the issue with not being able to copy files to an external drive; or maybe even an internal one; don't know haven't tried that.

I don't get it. Shouldn't I be able to work with the tablet's "drive" just like any other flash drive? Any why is it so erratic; works sometimes and not at others? Sometimes I get messages that say the tablets been disconnected, when clearly it hasn't!

WMV files an another issue. Sometimes they work, sometimes they get "converted"; automatically. Today I created an WMV in my video editor that played perfectly, everywhere except on the tablet, where it made everyone really tall and skinny!

At this rate I'll never get anything done!:mad:

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Are you using the factory supplied USB cable?

Have you downloaded and installed Samsung Kies on your PC? It installs drivers and has a wireless connecting mode called Kies Air.

Which video player are you using?

OP
mikecox

mikecox

Reaction score
Are you using the factory supplied USB cable?

Have you downloaded and installed Samsung Kies on your PC? It installs drivers and has a wireless connecting mode called Kies Air.

Which video player are you using?
Thanks for responding; sorry for the delay.

I have been trying to install Kies but there was a firmware upgrade that tried to install and glitched. I'm still trying to work that out.

I am using the cable that came with the tablet.

I was using a video app but deleted it when it stopped playing videos; after an upgrade. I have since learned that if I shut the table down and restart it that problem self corrects, but I haven't reinstalled the app. Instead I am using a file manager to play them.

One thing I've noticed while the tablet was plugged into my laptop; the battery goes dead. I thought the USB cable provided power to keep the battery charged when it was plugged into a USB port.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Thanks for responding; sorry for the delay.

I have been trying to install Kies but there was a firmware upgrade that tried to install and glitched. I'm still trying to work that out.

I am using the cable that came with the tablet.

I was using a video app but deleted it when it stopped playing videos; after an upgrade. I have since learned that if I shut the table down and restart it that problem self corrects, but I haven't reinstalled the app. Instead I am using a file manager to play them.

One thing I've noticed while the tablet was plugged into my laptop; the battery goes dead. I thought the USB cable provided power to keep the battery charged when it was plugged into a USB port.
To remove the autoplay of Adobe Elements on your PC should be pretty simple.

On your PC navigate to Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\AutoPlay. Scroll down to your tablet and click on the little drop down box. Choose "Ask me everytime". Alternatively, you can also just select "Reset all defaults" at the bottom of the section. The address on your PC to the AutoPlay settings might vary from mine, but it should be fairly similar. You can also click the Windows icon on your taskbar and find AutoPlay by doing a search from within the search box. It should show up in the search results.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Is there anything on your tablet that you cannot live without? Photos, music, videos, etc? If not then I would perform a factory data reset on it to see if it clears up your issues. You can do this through the tablet's Settings app or:

1. Press and hold the Volume Up key+Home Button+Power Button until the tablet finishes rebooting. You will then be inside of your Recovery.
2. Using the Volume Keys navigate to Factory Data Reset and select it using the Power Button.
3. Allow it to finish the reset and then select Reboot from the same menu.

Getting Samsung Kies installed on your PC will install the drivers for your tablet, give you a back up and restore feature, and at the same time it will install Samsung Kies which will allow you to do file viewing/moving via wifi instead of through a USB cable.

I would also suggest downloading VLC for your tablet. It is a great little video player that can handle pretty much any file that you can throw at it.

OP
mikecox

mikecox

Reaction score
To remove the autoplay of Adobe Elements on your PC should be pretty simple.

On your PC navigate to Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\AutoPlay. Scroll down to your tablet and click on the little drop down box. Choose "Ask me everytime". Alternatively, you can also just select "Reset all defaults" at the bottom of the section. The address on your PC to the AutoPlay settings might vary from mine, but it should be fairly similar. You can also click the Windows icon on your taskbar and find AutoPlay by doing a search from within the search box. It should show up in the search results.
Sorry for the delay; I didn't get an email :( I found the AutoPlay option and made several changes; thanks!

OP
mikecox

mikecox

Reaction score
Is there anything on your tablet that you cannot live without? Photos, music, videos, etc? If not then I would perform a factory data reset on it to see if it clears up your issues. You can do this through the tablet's Settings app or:
I have managed to get to problem with the firmware upgrade sorted out and installed.

Getting Samsung Kies installed on your PC will install the drivers for your tablet, give you a back up and restore feature, and at the same time it will install Samsung Kies which will allow you to do file viewing/moving via wifi instead of through a USB cable.
I have it installing and about to read the Help section to see how to access via wifi

I would also suggest downloading VLC for your tablet. It is a great little video player that can handle pretty much any file that you can throw at it.
Yes, I've been told that. I'll check it out. The odd thing is that almost all the videos I've managed to get on the SD card play just fine, but the last video I "published" from inside my video editor plays perfectly on everything except my tablet.

I noticed that sometimes, when I managed to move a video to the SD card I got a "convert" option pop up. I clicked it and the video converted and play normally. I haven't see that recently.

Is there any special WMV format that I should be using when I "publish"? That last video makes everyone tall and skinny; but only on the tablet, which baffles me. Is there a conversion that is needed on a tablet that isn't needed on other devices?

Finally, OFF TOPIC, the text I'm typing looks normal but the text in the fields on this forum look strange. I thought it was my computers; my large, external screen, or Firefox. But I contacted FF and made some adjustments they suggested and it still looks weird. here is an example.
font.jpg

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I have managed to get to problem with the firmware upgrade sorted out and installed.

I have it installing and about to read the Help section to see how to access via wifi

Yes, I've been told that. I'll check it out. The odd thing is that almost all the videos I've managed to get on the SD card play just fine, but the last video I "published" from inside my video editor plays perfectly on everything except my tablet.

I noticed that sometimes, when I managed to move a video to the SD card I got a "convert" option pop up. I clicked it and the video converted and play normally. I haven't see that recently.

Is there any special WMV format that I should be using when I "publish"? That last video makes everyone tall and skinny; but only on the tablet, which baffles me. Is there a conversion that is needed on a tablet that isn't needed on other devices?

Finally, OFF TOPIC, the text I'm typing looks normal but the text in the fields on this forum look strange. I thought it was my computers; my large, external screen, or Firefox. But I contacted FF and made some adjustments they suggested and it still looks weird. here is an example.
View attachment 73629

Is this video editor a software you use on your PA and then transfer over to your SD or is it an editing program on the tablet itself? I'm not sure what your tablet screen ratio is, but my Samsung tablet ratio is 16:9. I haven't used the WMV container in ages and I'm not quite sure which one should be used.

Is it still acting crazy via the USB connection?

The only thing that is see in your image of the forum text is the italics used to represent a quoted post. It looks just like my Web pages do in Google Chrome.