Erratic Touchscreen?

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by What316, Jun 27, 2011.

1. What316

What316 New Member

Hey everybody. I just upgraded to 5.4 and I'm having an issue with the touchscreen, its very erratic. Its driving me crazy. For example...If I scroll/swipe something and hold my finger in place for just a few milliseconds it seems, it just starts to move all over the place without me moving my finger off the screen. It happens in everything. I can't even scroll straight up and down on a web page or any app.

I've tried flashing 5.4 manually and through rom manager. I've wiped everything multiple times. Tried different kernels. I'd really appreciate any help, I'd hate to have to switch roms because It runs amazing besides that.

One more thing...For the heck of it, I used a painting app and the pointer location tool to draw some lines and the lines were normal. No erratic lines.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  2. redoregon

redoregon Member

Does it always do this, or only on the charger?

--
    Sent from my Droid running SS5.4
  3. alpine

alpine New Member

mine has done it once the other day. rebooted and has not done it since.

4. rmart88

rmart88 New Member

Mine does this. It just started really doing again a few days ago. And it has done it three diff times since then, reboots, cache wipe, dont seem to help it. Annoying cause it manages to call ppl, text random gibberish, and open a bunch of apps. Letting it sit for a while with the screen off seems to help.

Ive had it do this before, when i first flashed 5.4, so i went back to 5.3 and it continued to do it. eventually made it back to 5.4 and no issues until the other day (other than a few short times). But lately it has been pretty bad. It seems as though it only really does it when the phone heats up a little bit (36 C +), but not every time it heats up.
  5. kmagameguy

kmagameguy New Member

Mine does this only when my phone is charging (USB or wall charging both have this effect). I did not have this issue with stock ROM, but on both SS 5.4 and Cyanogenmod I have this issue.
  6. islander90

islander90 New Member

i've recently been dealing with this and researching it. I actually lost the left 1/8" of my screen and had to remap some of the buttons so I could get my BACK key back.

From what I've found, it seems like there are 2 (or 3) main causes for this. First is the easiest to test; the charger. Some cheap chargers cause the screen to go crazy. If it only does it when plugged into a specific charger, then that's probably your culprit. If it does it on any charger (especially the stock moto one) or when not plugged in, then that's not your problem.

The next cause could be the digitizer which is basically the screen itself going bad. They are about $30 online to buy, but I'm not sure the difficulty in replacement. I have a feeling that is what caused part of my screen to go bad, but I think my crazy-screen was this final cause which is only my theory based on extensive research and minimal knowledge lol...

Some sort of voltage glitch. I'm still on my original battery from November '09 and I've effed with battery stats with these roms and all that stuff; charged it on DC, AC, USB chargers of various qualities and tried all sorts of different roms. When my screen was going crazy, if I turned it off for even just a split second, then turned it back on, it would be fine for a little bit more. I was on a ULV kernel and flashed a LV and it still did it. Flashed a MV and it still did it but not as much. Ran the MV for a little while but it was just so damn slow, so I decided to try the ULV again and it has been working fine for me ever since (weeks to months; i've lost track of time). Every now and then it'll freak out for a split second but nothing like what I was dealing with before. One thing I read somewhere was someone who recommended doing a battery pull to kinda get the system back in check. I may have done this somewhere along the way which did the trick, but I'm not sure. I just know that it used to do it a bunch of times a day and now it very rarely does it and I'm running the exact same kernel and settings I was back then.

So take all that for what it's worth. Try a battery pull, try a new charger, try flashing some different kernels, and hope you don't have to replace the digitizer. I've actually gotten used to my lack of the left side of my screen; the camera button is my new back button and I've gotten in the habit of turning the phone clockwise instead of counterclockwise to go to landscape when I need to use settings at the bottom of the screen like in youtube.

Good luck!
  7. What316

What316 New Member

I guess its not just me then lol. It's so weird! It happens to me whether it's plugged in or not. I have the original charger and battery that I use. I guess I'll try a MV kernel since ulv or lv isn't helping. Thanks everyone for the input, I thought it was just my phone acting all crazy :|.

8. What316

What316 New Member

Well, it turned out to be a gingerbread issue I guess. Went back to froyo and its fine. Oh well, thanks everyone for the help :D

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  9. joegrind

joegrind New Member

Islander: having the exact same issue with my left side of the screen....happened when I was originally Stock and that's why I decided to Root. On SS 5.4 now, annoying but hopefully I can live with it till the Nexus Prime rolls out.
    As for the OP problems. I just started having this issue today after using SS for about 2 months and 5.4 for about two weeks. Erratic as hell. Had an exam today and had to leave it my car so I think that may be the culprit. I'm about to stick it in the freezer for a little!
  10. islander90

islander90 New Member

shoot me a PM if you would be interested in doing what I did and re-mapping your camera button to replace your back button (if your back button went to crap with the left side of your screen too)
  11. joegrind

joegrind New Member

I actually have been using Button Savior since it happened. I can arrange all the soft button keys on the screen on any side. Paid version I think you can arrange any of your keys. Never used the slide out keyboard before this started to happen.
  12. joegrind

joegrind New Member

I upped my kernel to 1.2 Low and it's been fine on my OG Droid (SS 5.4) ever since.
  13. What316

What316 New Member

That's about the only kernel I didn't try, but I just tried it now and it didn't fix the shakes unfortunately.

14. drust

drust New Member

note: og droid has touch screen issues... i had mine turn into a regular screen..... if problems persist revert to stock and go visit tech support for Motorola replacement

15. joegrind

joegrind New Member

I upped my kernel to 1.2 Low and it's been fine on my OG Droid (SS 5.4) ever since.[/QUOTE]

That's about the only kernel I didn't try, but I just tried it now and it didn't fix the shakes unfortunately.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Spoke too soon. Back to the same issues on all kernels and different ROMs

They'll replace it even if it's past warranty? Bought mine in Nov. 2009 and got a replacement in August 2011.
    How do you return the ROM back to stock?
  16. drust

drust New Member

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Spoke too soon. Back to the same issues on all kernels and different ROMs

make a backup!!!!
    so when u get a new one just root and flash

cant find the link for you atm moble sucks for searching

its in the forum ( flashing like any other rom)

gl on Motorola warranty

They'll replace it even if it's past warranty? Bought mine in Nov. 2009 and got a replacement in August 2011.
    How do you return the ROM back to stock?[/QUOTE]
  17. What316

What316 New Member

Motorola still offers replacements on the droid? For real? That's REALLY surprising. I would try to do that, but mines not a hardware issue.

18. SKF

SKF New Member

Hey I hv noticed this with my phone and after trying everything from rebooting to battery pull to upgrading my rom, the reason for this was my email app. The moment I stop using it, my phone becomes stable again. try it. it might help.
  19. SKF

SKF New Member

actually it could be any app for that matter. not using the email app helped me...u need to find out which app might be messing with urs.
Search tags for this page
android erratic display
android erratic touch screen
android touch screen erratic

droid 2 touch screen erratic

droid erratic touch screen
droid touch screen erratic
droid touchscreen erratic
erratic touch screen
erratic touchscreen
htc screen erratic
my dna droid screen is going nuts and blinking and scrolling