and avoid any overages. I will eventually update, though. I also
believe you can use WIFI to avoid data usage, I don't know the
particulars on it but I do believe it can be done. If not, then my
bad. Good luck with your phone, I elected to get a reconditioned
Droid and I just love it to death, it's the 1st phone I have actually
enjoyed owning.

xero925

Reaction score
Sounds like you need to factory reset, root, or both.

I've factory reset my first 2 before, but it didn't seem to help any.
This phone is only about a week old, still acts like my other 2, so I'm assuming it's an Eris thing..
I've contemplated rooting, but I'm not brave enough to. LOL...
But, I think once I'm out of warrenty, I'll seriously concider it... or when I get me a real droid, and transfer this one to another line, I'll mess with it..
if you do consider rooting make sure your phone is fully charged and on AC power or you will brick your phone! I have researched over and over again and the only way you ruin your phone is when you swiping out roms and your battery dies!

Sent from my Eris using DroidForums App

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok, I will do that. I was also told at verizon that you are charged data, even when the phone is just on, but not in use.

So if I'm not in wifi. I would assume I'm being charged data. Does anyone know how much "idle data" the phone roughly uses? Assuming you aren't using internet features, games,etc. And you have "mobile data", "background data" turned off.

Right now I don't have it activated.
By default, it should pull emails, calenders, contacts, weather, and anything else you have set up every 15 minutes.

G

Grimster

Dont waste your time and money on the Eris. It was outdated the moment it was released. HTC was simply trying to dump very very old chipsets. Everyone I know who owns the Eris is regretting it now. Its basically a ridiculously slow POS.

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dont waste your time and money on the Eris. It was outdated the moment it was released. HTC was simply trying to dump very very old chipsets. Everyone I know who owns the Eris is regretting it now. Its basically a ridiculously slow POS.

That's great advice, except he already bought it. I would have bought it for $90 too, and after I was done trade it back and get the $130 from Verizon. Once you get rid of the bloat and over clock it, it chugs along surprisingly well.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score

That's great advice, except he already bought it. I would have bought it for $90 too, and after I was done trade it back and get the $130 from Verizon. Once you get rid of the bloat and over clock it, it chugs along surprisingly well.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

This + infinity. Not sure why Grim is so negative toward the Eris. It ran great on 1.6. The 2.1 update hurt performance, but rooting and overclocking make it a very nice and affordable smartphone option. Even now. Why else would Verizon still be offering $132 for it in trade?

scarekrow

Reaction score
The Eris is good not the best Droid at first I hated it. But I downloaded this forum app. And learned about rooting. Tried to root my first phone and it kept on trying to load turned it on under warrany and I saw what I did wrong. Now its perfectly fine and runs as fast as my friends incredible. If you dnt wanna sign a 2 year agreement don't. Do the prepaid smart phone. The first month u should do the 30mbs and then after u have downloaded all your apps go to the 150 lbs and just watch it. With the apps you can get something like limewire on your phone which is great when ur riding down the road, and u wanna hear a song 3 seconds for to download then I can listen to it. And its free. Overall its great after u root it. If u want help with it just message me

Sent from my FroyoEris using DroidForums App

OP
E

estilo

Reaction score
I'd rather resell for profit instead of verizon credit. The whole point of that is to get you locked into a contract.

I don't understand "rooting" at all, or want to. I don't think it's necessary. I've read reviews that it's actually irrelevant, you can't tell the difference in milliseconds. "Rooting" seems to be this huge deal around here, but it's not going to impress anyone except a nerd.

I would rather download the apps via wifi. I plan to resell the phone. I really don't need to check email waiting in line at target.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't understand "rooting" at all, or want to. I don't think it's necessary. I've read reviews that it's actually irrelevant, you can't tell the difference in milliseconds. "Rooting" seems to be this huge deal around here, but it's not going to impress anyone except a nerd.

Could have stopped after the bolded part. -shrug-

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Increasing your processor speed by 50% isn't measured in milliseconds, and if you own the phone outright, you aren't locked into a contract - only month to month. Sounds like your mind is made up. Good luck!

Xnshsportsx

Reaction score
When i first bought a droid i could only afford the eris. It was nice but i should have saved up to get a better one. I would definately get comfortable with the eris and then upgrade to a better phone because the eris is really slow.

exlibrismt

Reaction score
Eris value in sharp decline...

The Eris is now worth $32. "buy-back" at Verizon - after the big announcement :huh: