Eric Schmidt Finds it 'Curious' That Apple Only Sues Android OEMs instead of Google

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
schmidtfight.jpg

In a recent interview with the Wall Street Journal, Google's Chairman, Eric Schmidt had several interesting things to say about the state of the tech world. He finds it "curious" that Apple has chosen to only sue Android OEMs instead of challenging Google directly, perhaps implying that Apple only picks on companies that do not have the financial power and legal clout to fight back. He implied that this was bad for the industry because it's bad for innovation. He shared the following example when asked about the "the endgame of all of this patent litigation,"

It'll continue for a while. Google is doing fine. Apple is doing fine. Let me tell you the loser here.

There's a young [Android co-founder] Andy Rubin trying to form a new version of Danger [the smartphone company Mr. Rubin co-founded before Android]. How is he or she going to be able to get the patent coverage necessary to offer version one of their product? That's the real consequence of this.

He also was disappointed that Apple chose to ditch Google Maps, and didn't understand why they took YouTube off their homescreens.

In terms of industry competition, Mr. Schmidt offered up his opinion that there are really only the "Gang of Four" big players in consumer technology anymore. They are Google, Apple, Amazon Inc. and Facebook Inc., which conspicuously leaves Microsoft out of the picture. In fact, when talking about Microsoft's new Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 Platform, he said, "I have not used it, but I think that Microsoft has not emerged as a trendsetter in this new model yet."

That's a friendly way of saying that Microsoft's day in the sun might be over. What do you think? Does he have things pegged pretty well?

Source: WSJ via Engadget

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Not really off topic...did older iPhones have a notification bar? Noticed iPhone 5 does. If this is the case, can all OEMs running android sue apple....individually? Wouldn't that be fun.... :)

SANhacker

Reaction score
I think the Google purchase of Motorola Mobility gave them IP (Intellectual Property) that Apple had to bow down to. If I remember correctly there were meetings between Google and Apple CEO's a couple of months ago that likely resulted in a truce.

After all, Motorola had the transmission techniques patented 20 years ago and I'm sure every carrier is using them to this day.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not really off topic...did older iPhones have a notification bar? Noticed iPhone 5 does. If this is the case, can all OEMs running android sue apple....individually? Wouldn't that be fun.... :)

dude don't u know apple phone 5 has notifications... let's make a commercial lol... but really it is new... to them... just like multi tasking... started w their newer software upgrades

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
Because Apple's a bully; they never pick on somebody their own size :nerd:

WestOkid

Reaction score
dude don't u know apple phone 5 has notifications... let's make a commercial lol... but really it is new... to them... just like multi tasking... started w their newer software upgrades

There are a few things Apple has copied from Google. Even the panorama photo capture that Apple has the commercial for was first seen in the ICS.

That said, Android is Open source. Companies use ideas from it all the time; they even use the whole thing. To the best of my knowledge, anyone can utilize Android, but the members of Open Handset Alliance have to abide by certain rules to preserve the integrity of the product. There is a reason why Samsung, HTC and others have to release there code for thier phones to the public.

I think the Only way Apple changes their business model is if the government decides to deal with this Patent stuff once and for all with an overhaul of the system to properly handle intellectually property.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
They can get more money that way. My guess is that Apple can't sue Google and then get money for every android phone sold. Maybe the NEXUS line, but if they went after Samsung, HTC, etc. they can get a lot more money that way.

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Apple won't sue Google for one of many big reasons, one of them being that Android is open source and Google doesn't make money off of Android so therefore there are no real physical numbers money wise to go after. Which is why Apple goes after the device makers instead.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

52brandon

Reaction score
Apple won't sue Google for one of many big reasons, one of them being that Android is open source and Google doesn't make money off of Android so therefore there are no real physical numbers money wise to go after. Which is why Apple goes after the device makers instead.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD
well... not directly

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
well... not directly

which is why its hard to come up with a number to sue them for, they don't make a direct profit off of it like Apple does off of its stuff or like what Samsung makes off of its stuff.

They don't sell (liscence) Android to the manufacturers to use with their devices, therefore no direct profit.

52brandon

Reaction score
which is why its hard to come up with a number to sue them for, they don't make a direct profit off of it like Apple does off of its stuff or like what Samsung makes off of its stuff.

They don't sell (liscence) Android to the manufacturers to use with their devices, therefore no direct profit.
yup. You don't grow to be so big so fast by making dumb choices. They are impressively smart with their business decisions. On top of their actual development, which of course is super impressive on it's own

jtpowell

Reaction score

Multi tasking is not new to iOS devices. They'e always had it since the original iPhone. Remember it's running a Darwin kernel basically tiny OSX. You could always even iphone 1 ssh into the iPhone after jailbroken and see it was multitasking by doing native Unix command ps. All the native apps multitasked from day 1. Just an fyi. They didn't allow user apps to multitask and that's not anything anyone has a patent on as it's not patentable.

iOS developer but Android user.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
Multi tasking is not new to iOS devices. They'e always had it since the original iPhone. Remember it's running a Darwin kernel basically tiny OSX. You could always even iphone 1 ssh into the iPhone after jailbroken and see it was multitasking by doing native Unix command ps. All the native apps multitasked from day 1. Just an fyi. They didn't allow user apps to multitask and that's not anything anyone has a patent on as it's not patentable.

iOS developer but Android user.

if they didn't allow user apps to multitask then I can't consider the device as multitasking lol