epic fail today need assistance with rooting frg01b on D1

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by dns2k, Aug 13, 2010.

1. dns2k

dns2k New Member

UPDATE: Problem solved. You can flash SPR's 2.1 sbf without issues and go that way in restoring a previous backup if stuck in 2.2 without root. you can also go a classic rooting approach to 2.2. i dont and havent ever liked the easy way and easyroot is having major issues reported in every forum so stay away from that and root the fun way.

OLD POST :
    ok before i go into what i did stupidly today does the old method of rooting work on frg01b or does flashing sprecov still work? all i can find is the easy root crap and i am not afraid to type some code and save a buck to know i did it right.

so today i was on build FRF57 of froyo the second released near stock rom. all i had done was the first market fix on it. maps was stuck at 4.2 and i was having no luck with the fixes and the new voice search and widget were refusing to install like maps. so i decided to upgrade my rom to 2.2 frg01b. i got the clockwork mod flasher awhile ago to easily be able to download cynagen, jrummy and saphire roms when they had all the features i liked. but today i saw in the stock roms i could go with froyo frg01b stock and have root access su permissions. well i backed up and then began the flash. i did not (kicks myself) do a wipe. CM did its backup then then flashed and i got stuck in an over 15 min droid eye loop. so i battery pulled and booted in recovery.

i lost CM's recovery and was returned to stock recovery. i did a sys reset/cache wipe and it booted smoothly and now i am stuck with 2.2 frg01b with a contacts list from who knows when and apps that i deleted months ago resynced. i just want sprecovery back or root to be able to reflash through my backups to get to my cm nandroid backup from today.

every forum post and youtube vid and etc either says easyroot or 2.01 or 2.1. i hear easyroot's script is pretty shoddy.

advice would be appreciated.

-dns
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  2. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

3. dns2k

dns2k New Member

ah but i did look there and every reference is to 2.1 i am no longer on 2.1 and do not have a way back. also i only went the rom manager route to flash this time because the rom was right there i usually just use it to keep track of all the dev updates.

if i can flash sp still without killing the phone i am in and know how to do that but i just need that answer.

i do my searches on the forums too :p

-dns
  4. mcalhoun

mcalhoun New Member

You can flash back to SPRecovery if you've already loaded Clockworkmod Recovery. Then install a Nandroid backup if needed or if you have one. You can even install a virgin OEM 2.1 ROM that's available.
  5. dns2k

dns2k New Member

thanks as far as rooting 2.2 i went with OMJ's 2.2 guide on androidforums and as of a minute before your post was restoring my old firmware.

all i needed was a 'go' on using the old 2.1 sbf file and it WAS compatible.

back with SPR and loving life :)

now to properly do the FRG01B update

-dns