Epic Fail on Motorola and Verizon

greyghost04

Reaction score
I consider myself an 8 as far as high tech knowledge. My son the computer engineer would be a 10. In the first 4 days of ownership, I was going to return the Droid. The learning curve is so steep on this phone. By the end of the 1st week I was starting to understand it better. Now in my 2nd month I might give up my wife before I give up my Droid. It does everything for me( except sex, so I'll keep the wife). Stick with it. Download the manual (first thing I did). Keep reading this forum. I feel like I know almost everything about it now. Everyday it shows me some new ability. I so look forward to Android 2.1 .
In 2 weeks you'll be writing us back saying you love your Droid.

OP
S

spillner

Reaction score
Guys before you get the wrong Idea, I do love this phone. Its just the learning curve on it is very steep. I start reading a lot of technical jargon on how to do things that I think should be pretty simple. Not understanding half the solutions I read on the forums is extremely frustrating for me. I know I came off very aggressive and maybe my title should be changed but I just feel like I'm never gonna be able to use it to its full potential.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Guys before you get the wrong Idea, I do love this phone. Its just the learning curve on it is very steep. I start reading a lot of technical jargon on how to do things that I think should be pretty simple. Not understanding half the solutions I read on the forums is extremely frustrating for me. I know I came off very aggressive and maybe my title should be changed but I just feel like I'm never gonna be able to use it to its full potential.

Wow, that's quite a bit softer then your original post.:icon_ banana: See, it's growing on you already.

arty2hottie

Reaction score
Now in my 2nd month I might give up my wife before I give up my Droid. It does everything for me( except sex, so I'll keep the wife). Stick with it. Download the manual (first thing I did).
LOL
I can see the Motorola commercial now. Does your wife........

darreno1

Reaction score

Calling the phone an epic fail is starting off on the wrong foot. If you're going to offend in your quest for help, expect some tough answers. The problem isn't Android or the phone, it's your attitude towards them. If you take a pessimistic stance, you'll have a hard time.

For the normal everyday user, the phone has everything that's needed. However like already mentioned, it's designed to be customized to fit the user who needs to a little more specialization. This is where the market comes in. I do agree Motorola should have posted a URL to where the online manual could be found. They could have also included a quick start guide. But even so, a little research would still be needed when it came to the apps.

All your answers can be found on the forum with a little searching.

Jason

Reaction score
Ok all you have to do to acess the sd card is download the app called astro or estrong. I'm pretty surethe iphone can't delete any music without going on the computer.
Umm what? The droid does come with a music player

I can't believe I missed it, I've looked a dozen times and didn't see it. My bad guys on complaining about the lack of a music player.

Its alright. Mistakes happen

OP
S

spillner

Reaction score

Calling the phone an epic fail is starting off on the wrong foot. If you're going to offend in your quest for help, expect some tough answers. The problem isn't Android or the phone, it's your attitude towards them. If you take a pessimistic stance, you'll have a hard time.

For the normal everyday user, the phone has everything that's needed. However like already mentioned, it's designed to be customized to fit the user who needs to a little more specialization. This is where the market comes in. I do agree Motorola should have posted a URL to where the online manual could be found. They could have also included a quick start guide. But even so, a little research would still be needed when it came to the apps.

Never said the phone was an epic fail, I said verizon and motorola. And as previously stated that probably wasn't the best title. All I'm saying is in a competitive market you would think that verizon would be throwing information at you on how to use this phone. Instead they rely on word of mouth. For me thats very frustrating.

crspang

Reaction score
Wow, I must be an absolute frigging genius! Because I have found this Droid to be very easy to figure out and I've yet to look through the manual even though I downloaded it before I even got the phone.
Seriously I'm not that smart, I'm just not afraid to push a button or two to see what happens.
I think a lot of people confuse the overwhelming capabilities of this phone with difficulty and get scared of it or something.

Nedaroth

Reaction score
So the Droid needs an app for everything? Riddle me this the iphone has what over 100.000 of them and what was the figure they brag about now? Dont know i will tell you. Apple heads spent over a billion dollars on apple apps, now you tell me who needs apps to run their phone? iphone is nothing more then an app server.

Now if you bothered to even look at the Motorola web site you would have found a complete owners manual that you can download in PDF form. And as everyone before me said, you will get all the help you need right here on this forum by just asking in a more respectful way.:)

darreno1

Reaction score

Never said the phone was an epic fail, I said verizon and motorola. And as previously stated that probably wasn't the best title. All I'm saying is in a competitive market you would think that verizon would be throwing information at you on how to use this phone. Instead they rely on word of mouth. For me thats very frustrating.

Ok I'll say it. This phone isn't hard to figure out at all. That's probably why they chose not to include a guide. The majority of users will have very little issues. The less competent ones will need a little more time. There I said it. Sorry you're in the minority and majority rules.

NVash

Reaction score
I was very annoyed at the lack of an instruction manual. But Im the kind of guy that likes a challenge like this. I spent the next three days figuring out the odds and ins on this phone, stumbled across this board as well and Im sure Im only scratching the surface. Im beginning to think its like my friend described her Palm phone. Its like Christmas, you always have something new waiting for you. Every time you mess with something else you figure out something new. Its cool, I really like it.

iPhone cant play ROMS, you have to jailbreak it. And even then itll kill the battery quick. Friend of mine said he got 45 minutes into a Zelda game on GBA and the battery died. Contrary to that, I play games on here often for short intervals, maybe 10 to 15 minutes at a time, then read a book, surf the internet, and the battery may be missing about 25% when Im done. I think the Droid battery sucks but man the iPhone cant do jack. It took my friend months just to get ringtones working on his, but maybe that was just him.

natty_lite

Reaction score
if you download the SNES, GameBoy, GBC, NES and Genesis emulators, can iPhone do that? Not sure if it can or not.....)

iPhone has a Playstation emulator in addition to those you named.

To address the actual topic however, I read the original post and started to get agitated until I tried putting myself in the OP's frame of mind. I'm sorta smart phone junkie, as a matter of fact, the Droid marks my 3rd Android device already, so it was nothing for me to pick it up and start configuring. For the average consumer however, Motorola probably should have included some sort of manual to go over the basic functions.

To call your own ignorance a failure on Moto's part though was a tad extreme however.

OP
S

spillner

Reaction score

Ok I'll say it. This phone isn't hard to figure out at all. That's probably why they chose not to include a guide. The majority of users will have very little issues. The less competent ones will need a little more time. There I said it. Sorry you're in the minority and majority rules.

Their are over 1900 threads in the tech support forum, just thought I'd throw that out there. Also, why has this thread turned so hostile, I've already stated that I regret posting the title as I was really frustrated when I first wrote it. Almost everyone on here has been real helpful and I appreciate that. No need to be insulting on a guy whos having problems with his phone and I am by far not the only one.

darreno1

Reaction score
Their are over 1900 threads in the tech support forum, just thought I'd throw that out there. Also, why has this thread turned so hostile, I've already stated that I regret posting the title as I was really frustrated when I first wrote it. Almost everyone on here has been real helpful and I appreciate that. No need to be insulting on a guy whos having problems with his phone and I am by far not the only one.

It's not an insult, it's the truth. You ARE less competent, which is ok. But rather than asking for help nicely, you came in with an attitude.

OP
S

spillner

Reaction score
Rewrote the title as it seems to be to offending and I should have wrote this thread after I had calmed down a little.