Enough is enough -After Flashing ROMS for 2 weeks, Its time to stop

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by dredge, Feb 20, 2010.

1. dredge

dredge New Member

please note - i did all of this without a nandroid backup-if something went wrong, i would be left with nothing

I rooted my droid couple weeks ago (had since decembeR) and got BB all went well
    fell in love with customizing, not really knowing what i was doing

got sholes, thanks to all saying how convient and easy it was considering all was done for you and through market

then went to BB 2.1 rom, and tonight went to smoked glass thinking why not lets try it, but this is where it all went south
    it wasnt easy installing this and i was messing with a lot of things, when finally i got it to work and then my phone went blank-it wouldnt even go to motorola logo
    i thought i was bricked.

i then started spamming random buttons, got lucky to get it rebooted and realized, if i bricked it, f---, i am f------. i am a 14 year old teenage boy, i got this phone for hannukkah(jewish holiday sure u guys know)and always was very smart with tech stuff. i would show my phone off to my friends at school always trying to get the best thing. but after this scare tonight i thought - wtf would happen if i ruined this. how would i explain to my mom? i realized, its not worth going through all this just for little things...i mean all i use my phone for is texting and pr0n really so

yeah - to all u teens and whoever out there messing with ur phone when u only semi know whats going on, dont. get a very detailed guide or hope for a sholes like thing. its not worth it. be ahppy with ur phone alredy doing 1.2ghz, its fine.

consider this a warning, a good laugh, or whatever.

cliff - dont take things for granted

edit - lmao at all you, guess what, 80% of kids at my school have iphones. (in middle school, it is a college prep school, so it would be expected) so i have to make my droid > iphone.
    inb4 omfg rich kid stfu
  2. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

LOL

Just LEARN about it before you do it!!!!!!!

Check out my signature and sign up over there at the DroidDev (formerly Sholes) teams forum, and the IRC channel and ask questions and learn things
  3. christim

christim DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Your key takeaway would be to know what you are doing. The guides and forums help with that but learning as you go is a big part of figuring things out too.

As you found out it is hard to brick one of these babies. However, you know what the backup is for just like we all know what seat belts and speed limits are for.

I'd say your lessons tonight were good ones. That backup is important. All those steps in the guides are important. If anyone rooting doesn't know 100% of what they are doing or why each step is there: don't skip steps.

Go slow, there's no rush. Skip the random button mashing too, know what you're doing. Life in general goes smoother when you do :)
  4. gentlefury

gentlefury New Member

save a nandroid backup and all is well.

800MHz_glass_vkb-BS-20100128-0226.zip

You can try my Rom...it works quite well...I recently added the MT Browser, but I'm not going to add it to the rom until I know it works well...I've tried other MT Browsers and they have all had issues...I have added everything in that manually and it works beautifully. :)
  5. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Everyone has to learn to walk. Those who just leap out there and try it break their faces on the ground.

Baby steps, young padiwan, and always, ALWAYS CYA (Cover Your Ass).
  6. justin82

justin82 DF Super Moderator Premium Member

Agree.. Also install nandroid backup..:icon_eek: easy to do it is a lifesaver nate has a good thread on it matthew has good thread on it so many threads.. why did you not install it? don't jump into things study up on them first..btw your 14 stay away from the p0rn. really .... please someone backme up on that..
  7. bpad10

bpad10 New Member

Aahhh kids these days....I give you 2 months before you start messing around with it again....soon after 2.1 is rooted. :icon_ devil:

Good luck
  8. NoKz

NoKz New Member

Learn to do a Nandroid backup kid. I've been flashing roms for months and bricked my phone only once with a 1.3GHz kernel. Reloaded my previous backup and was back in business within 5 minutes.
  9. adrynalyne

Er, then you were never bricked.
  10. christim

christim DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

+1

Bricking is like death. Either you are, or you aren't.
  11. gentlefury

gentlefury New Member

I did the same thing...installed the 1.1 and it wouldnt boot past the moto logo, just kept recycling there....I was eventually able to get into restore by pulling the battery and holding x+power a couple times.
  12. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass Well-Known Member

If you backup, you pretty much can't brick under usual circumstances. Period.
  13. Mercuie

Mercuie New Member

Yeah, all scary things go away with nandroid. You can pretty much screw almost anything up as long as you have a backup. Its a nice safety net and makes you feel okay about trying new roms/installs.
  14. jrummy16

jrummy16 Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member Developer

As long as you do nandroid backups it is pretty difficult to brick your phone.
  15. jbernard703

jbernard703 New Member

Thats why the insurance is a great thing. If you brick your phone you just tell them you lost it and get a new one.
  16. JohnnyDepth

JohnnyDepth New Member

That's why integrity is a great thing.
    If you brick your phone you just tell them the phone is bricked
    (and don't be a juvenile prick and lie):icon_ devil:
  17. adrynalyne

Agreed.

Why lie? This is what insurance is for.
  18. alkaholic

alkaholic New Member

It got better. Burn her.anyway.
  19. jbernard703

jbernard703 New Member

:icon_eek:
    I assume,though I have not read the fine print, that bricking your phone is not covered. So thanks for the ethics lesson. You have integrity I will take a new phone,
  20. Dave12308

Dave12308 New Member

OP, I don't say this to be mean; but like alot of the others have said; the word of the day is LEARN. Do all of the reading up on custom recovery partitions, custom ROMs, and Droid modding that you can stand. Just when you think you've read enough, read a little bit more.

And perhaps, you should tell your Mom that you are planning to do something potentially risky with your phone, that way if she says "Fine, go ahead and do it" than you're covered if something goes wrong since you've gotten her permission. Perhaps if she knows what you're doing, she'll add TEC insurance to your line to minimize the cost impact if something DOES go wrong.

I give you alot of credit though, OP. The fact that you've backed off from the modding because you've actually considered what would happen if something went wrong shows you are mature and actually considerate. Alot of kids your age would simply be thinking "Well, if I mess it up i'll just beg Mom until she caves and gets me a new one"