end to rooting?

gixxerboy

Reaction score
will there ever be a day when phone makers disable rooting alltogether? by disabling i mean bricking our phones if we do hack them and usinf tactics like that.

Guchi

Reaction score
they are trying. apple has almost done it on their newest build and HTC makes it realy hard or worse with the inc....

OP
G

gixxerboy

Reaction score
this sucks we pay out the bum for our phones we shoould be able to do whatever we want with them

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
Why would they care? I mean, ok, say so and so roots his/her phone and overclocks and fries his/her processor - I could see how that would cost Verizon a lot of money because I'm sure there there are people that do that but... still, rooting has made my droid 10x better. I couldn't be happier with it.

OP
G

gixxerboy

Reaction score
same here bigmcguire i love rooting it i think they should actully make it easier but im asking for a miracle lol

governmentcheese

Reaction score
if it can be thought of: someone has already done it. if it can be created: it can be modified. look at it in this context- one crack house gets brought down, another one down the street opens. once a soup can has been opened, you cant close it, you can hold the lid closed, but the soup still keeps coming out.....................cheese's philosophy for the day-

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
this sucks we pay out the bum for our phones we shoould be able to do whatever we want with them
99% of customers DON'T pay out the bum, they are buying subsidized phones. If you paid retail, they should let you do what you want.

Why would they care? I mean, ok, say so and so roots his/her phone and overclocks and fries his/her processor - I could see how that would cost Verizon a lot of money because I'm sure there there are people that do that but... still, rooting has made my droid 10x better. I couldn't be happier with it.
Just talked to the VZW rep I deal with today. He was telling me he was thinking about paying retail for the incredible. I asked why, and he started on the 1Ghz processor. I told him my droid runs at 1.2Ghz all the time, and I don't have do deal with senseUI (I know you can turn it off, but its still on the phone.) So, back to the first point, if they "let" you root and OC your phone, why would you ever think about shelling out another $500 for an incredible? A 9MP camera isn't worth $500 to most people.

scandroid

Reaction score
My friend has a g1 and was having trouble in general, running slow. He called a t-mobile tech and he helped out but what was interesting is the tech told my friend to download "cachecleaner" to help keep his phone fresh but you have to have root access to use it. So apparently the techs are rooting too.

s-one

Reaction score
Man the tech industry has spent hundreds of billions of dollars over 50-60 years and have never came up with a way of preventing hackers from exploiting a system... Shoot the US Military couldn't even prevent the Predator Drone plane from being hacked by Al Qada when they intercepted the planes video images yet alone trying to prevent script kiddies hacking away at phones in their bedrooms.

Darkseider

Reaction score
Simply put the only reason any company would want to stop the rooting of a device is to force obsolescence on the consumer. By rooting the device, let's take the G1 as an example and NOT the Droid, the G1 now has 2.1 running on it with Apps2SD, can be OC'd and has all the Eclair goodness everyone else does. Mind you it is not as fast as the more modern devices like the Nexus One, Desire, Droid, Incredible, etc.. but still offers the same software features that they do.

Now if that phone were to never be rooted and had to solely rely on the manufacturer/carrier for software/OS updates do really think that they would be running 2.1 right now? NO. They would be forced to either continue using the device as is or upgrade and purchase, spend MONEY, on a new device. This is the ONLY reason that companies try to prevent the rooting of a device.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Google is profiting off people wanting their phone for hacking purposes. I think they should just allow it.Sort of like a skate park.
Before; skateboarders would be all over side walk running over people. Arrseting people and banning it did not solve the problem. But building a park with ramps and advocating safety, was the perfect compromise. Skateboarders have a place to skate, and people didnt get ran over by skateboarders.
Google, HTC, Motorola should allow rooters to root and recommend apps. Heck they could make money by having their tech guys make apps for rooted devices. That way people that want to root can do so, and the companies can have a say on apps or roms that are destroying devices causing unnecessary lost from phone replacements.
I do not want companies saying what people can and cant put on their devices, just be able to recommend.

R

Romple

Google is profiting off people wanting their phone for hacking purposes. I think they should just allow it.Sort of like a skate park.
Before; skateboarders would be all over side walk running over people. Arrseting people and banning it did not solve the problem. But building a park with ramps and advocating safety, was the perfect compromise. Skateboarders have a place to skate, and people didnt get ran over by skateboarders.
Google, HTC, Motorola should allow rooters to root and recommend apps. Heck they could make money by having their tech guys make apps for rooted devices. That way people that want to root can do so, and the companies can have a say on apps or roms that are destroying devices causing unnecessary lost from phone replacements.
I do not want companies saying what people can and cant put on their devices, just be able to recommend.

It's really such a small community that hacks their phones, relative to the total amount of Androids out there, that I can't even see why it's a priority. Just let people hack. It's going to effect your bottom line more to try to prevent it then to just live with it.

I'm fine w/ rooting voiding warranties. Whatever. Just let me do what I want with MY phone. I don't care of it's "subsidized"... Verizon gets $1200 of my money a year. hooking me up w/ a phone every 2 years is really nothing.

Jer

Reaction score
Man the tech industry has spent hundreds of billions of dollars over 50-60 years and have never came up with a way of preventing hackers from exploiting a system... Shoot the US Military couldn't even prevent the Predator Drone plane from being hacked by Al Qada when they intercepted the planes video images yet alone trying to prevent script kiddies hacking away at phones in their bedrooms.

Well, not to get off topic too much here but that story is slightly different than face value. Some retard high up decided that everyone they were fighting in the middle east was cave dwelling idiots that couldn't even afford a laptop let alone figure out how to use it so for quite some time the signal that the drones were processing weren't even encrypted. They just assumed nobody could get to them so encryption was an unnecessary step. Yes, these are the idiots that run our country.

Back on track... If a phone can't be rooted then I won't buy it especially when they choose to plague them with programs that are not only worthless but can't be deleted by the end user. Not cool.