End of my rope!

greycobalt

Reaction score
So, after getting a brand new original X last year, I had the OTA update brick it less than a week later. They wouldn't replace it with a new one, they replaced it with a refurbished one. I went through 6 refurbished ones, all having some form of hardware problem. It was beyond annoying. Then, they finally send me an X2.

I love this phone. Seems to work. Then it starts to get a bit crazy. So I root it and install the minimalist ROM on it. Works perfectly for almost 2 weeks. Then suddenly, out of nowhere, it starts going bat**** insane again. I won't receive texts or calls until I reboot. When I do, I get 20+ messages, and several voicemails. The texts are often multiples of the same text. This happens annoyingly often, and rebooting the phone sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

Occasionally, dialing a call will result in the phone hanging up instantly and saying the call time was 0:00. A reboot fixes that.

Once in a while, trying to type in a box will yield no results. The auto correct will pop up like it's receiving input, but nothing shows up, and I can't hit send. The only fix for this is to reboot.

If the phone dies before I'm able to charge it, and I plug it in, the only thing that happens is the Motorola logo appears. It sits there on and refuses to do anything for almost a half hour. At that point I have to unplug the phone, pull the battery, start the phone up, and wait for it to turn on before I plug it back in or I have to repeat.

I'm sure there's things I'm thinking of that happen rarely or aren't as important, but all I know at this point is a) I'm ebarrassed/tired of getting new phones, and b) it's nearly impossible to do normal things with this phone because of how it's acting.

So my questions are, are these problems par for the course for the 'bad' X2 units I've heard about? Is it worth the hassle to try to get a new unit and hope that it's a good one? How long until units that aren't f-ed up reach distribution? Could the ROM be responsible for any of this? Is a lot of this programming, or is it hardware related (i.e. will the GB update fix it?). Thanks for listening to my rant. It's been quite a day. :)

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
So, after getting a brand new original X last year, I had the OTA update brick it less than a week later. They wouldn't replace it with a new one, they replaced it with a refurbished one. I went through 6 refurbished ones, all having some form of hardware problem. It was beyond annoying. Then, they finally send me an X2.

I love this phone. Seems to work. Then it starts to get a bit crazy. So I root it and install the minimalist ROM on it. Works perfectly for almost 2 weeks. Then suddenly, out of nowhere, it starts going bat**** insane again. I won't receive texts or calls until I reboot. When I do, I get 20+ messages, and several voicemails. The texts are often multiples of the same text. This happens annoyingly often, and rebooting the phone sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

Occasionally, dialing a call will result in the phone hanging up instantly and saying the call time was 0:00. A reboot fixes that.

Once in a while, trying to type in a box will yield no results. The auto correct will pop up like it's receiving input, but nothing shows up, and I can't hit send. The only fix for this is to reboot.

If the phone dies before I'm able to charge it, and I plug it in, the only thing that happens is the Motorola logo appears. It sits there on and refuses to do anything for almost a half hour. At that point I have to unplug the phone, pull the battery, start the phone up, and wait for it to turn on before I plug it back in or I have to repeat.

I'm sure there's things I'm thinking of that happen rarely or aren't as important, but all I know at this point is a) I'm ebarrassed/tired of getting new phones, and b) it's nearly impossible to do normal things with this phone because of how it's acting.

So my questions are, are these problems par for the course for the 'bad' X2 units I've heard about? Is it worth the hassle to try to get a new unit and hope that it's a good one? How long until units that aren't f-ed up reach distribution? Could the ROM be responsible for any of this? Is a lot of this programming, or is it hardware related (i.e. will the GB update fix it?). Thanks for listening to my rant. It's been quite a day. :)

I would sbf and try and get a new phone. Those issues are inexcusable

SSX v2.0

barski

Reaction score
sounds like you have had a very rough monday. I would also start with a fresh SBF. Play with it for a while, if it does it again...call verizon, ask for a level 2 tech, then ask for the manager and give them a piece of your mind.

I also went through the samething with the Droid X's, except i was a few up on you. They day it was released i went to pick it up, and it was flipping out in the reps hand. The next day i had another brand new one. So in all 2 brand new droid x's and 7 or more CLNR, and then i got the wonderful (not) droid x2. I hated it so much i went out and bought another Droid X with a bad camera button, then sent it into motorola for repair. Since then never had a problem with a Droid X, and the Droid X2 still sits idle.

Good Luck!

OP
greycobalt

greycobalt

Reaction score
Yeah I'm fairly close to restoring it to stock and getting a new one. I can't believe how slow it's going. I guess I had gotten used to it, but tonight I was helping my friend root and ROM his Thunderbolt and it just put mine to absolute shame. So sad. :(

OP
greycobalt

greycobalt

Reaction score
Ok, so last night I couldn't stand it and put the stock back on. I rooted it and removed all the bloat. Everything ran smoothly and very quickly until this afternoon, where it slowed to its now-familiar crawl. When I check the running applications screen, it showed only 4mb free. What the crap could be using that much memory and slowing it down so horrendously? Nothing I saw in there seemed to be using a whole lot, although I didn't know what most of it was. Sad panda.

LordRalh3

Reaction score
So instead of doing it your way and hating it, go install the Affinity ROM, run the v6 supercharger script, use the sd increase program.... I absolutly love my X2 and wouldnt think of trading it in for anything less the the X3 (Im assuming its gonna happen and will be a dual core 1.5-1.75ghz beast with a gb or more of fast ram and a sweet gpu)

And yes a ton of it is software related, MinimalX was great but took out a bit too much of the important stuff. Affinity will get you by much better untill GB is out with a cm7 or liberty ROM

OP
greycobalt

greycobalt

Reaction score
I just saw that Affinity post...it's beta still isn't it? As for the script changing, I've tried it a few times while I've been ROMd and stocked and couldn't tell any difference, which of course makes me wonder if I'm doing it right. I follow the directions fine, but who knows. I've been reading all this hubbub about GB being imminent, maybe I'll try to wait for that and see if it fixes stuff better than me.

Also, is it a known problem for the keyboard typing to not appear in the window? it's started happening again and it's really cheesing me off.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

LordRalh3

Reaction score
Call it a beta if you want its way more stable than Froyo or minimalX, run the scripts, they work, follow the instructions closely, they even tell you how to make sure you did it right so you absolutly know, GB is soon yes, but I wouldnt ever count on verizon...GB roms will be amazing, GB itself? probly not so much, better than stock froyo by a long shot but still

~edit, oops forgot the keyboard part...I have no idea man I have never had any keyboard related issues using SwiftKey X from the market. Not one glitch to date