End of Line for Android Updates on Motorola Xoom & Nexus S; No Official Android 4.2

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nexus-s-and-xoom.png

We have sad news regarding the future fate of any Android 4.2 Updates for the Motorola Xoom and the Nexus S smartphone. Google's own Jean-Baptiste Queru recently made statements indicating that Android 4.2 will not be coming to either of these devices. Here's a quote from his post,

-There is no support for 4.2 on Nexus S and Xoom. Those devices should
continue using 4.1.2.

~JBQ

It's a shame that they aren't planning on moving forward with the update for those devices. They have the 4.1.2 version of Jelly Bean, but it appears something about the new features of 4.2 might be incompatible. Either that, or the company felt it was simply time to stop somewhere.

Source: Google Groups via Phandroid

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
Do they have a rule for "Nexus" devices to be updated for a certain amount of time? I know it was mentioned a while ago that OEMs have to update their devices for 18 months after releasing, which if the same goes for the Xoom, then it's just about there (2/24 and 3/27 2011 were the original release dates).

That's why I root em... no need to depend on the OEM pushing updates almost a year after the source drops.

Redsnk95

Reaction score
I will admit that I was surprised how long my Xoom tab received updates/support. I have never had to root since it always had the latest greatest update. Equipped with 4.1.2 I don't see any need to replace my tab any time soon. I can see myself keeping it for another 18 months to 2 years.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I will admit that I was surprised how long my Xoom tab received updates/support. I have never had to root since it always had the latest greatest update. Equipped with 4.1.2 I don't see any need to replace my tab any time soon. I can see myself keeping it for another 18 months to 2 years.
I'm still really happy with my Xoom wifi too. But I think I may trade it in for the N10 for the improved screen and other bells and whistles. I've treated my Xoom like it was made out of forged steel, and it hasn't flinched. It served it's time well.

Redsnk95

Reaction score
I'm still really happy with my Xoom wifi too. But I think I may trade it in for the N10 for the improved screen and other bells and whistles. I've treated my Xoom like it was made out of forged steel, and it hasn't flinched. It served it's time well.

Wonder what trade-in value is...mine is in pretty dang good condition.

GuiltyBreak

Reaction score
bummer but i am happy with 4.1.2 for xoom. hopefully the awesome devs will get 4.2 working on Xoom

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Do they have a rule for "Nexus" devices to be updated for a certain amount of time? I know it was mentioned a while ago that OEMs have to update their devices for 18 months after releasing, which if the same goes for the Xoom, then it's just about there (2/24 and 3/27 2011 were the original release dates).

That's why I root em... no need to depend on the OEM pushing updates almost a year after the source drops.

For the Xoom, i'd say the reason is the device's age, since the 18 month cycle is a Motorola policy.

For the Nexus S, I believe it may be different - an issue of available RAM - the Nexus S doesn't have much. 128MB is dedicated to the GPU, leaving only 384MB for system RAM.

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
For the Xoom, i'd say the reason is the device's age, since the 18 month cycle is a Motorola policy.

For the Nexus S, I believe it may be different - an issue of available RAM - the Nexus S doesn't have much. 128MB is dedicated to the GPU, leaving only 384MB for system RAM.

O I thought the 18 month cycle was Google policy (before it became Googlorola), if that's the case then that's probably what it is. Is Google requiring a certain amount of RAM for 4.2 like they did when 4.0 originally came out (wasn't that like 256MB)?