Encryption

google123

Reaction score
So with the latest update we now have device/SD card encryption available. Anybody actually using it? I for one aren't....yet.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums

andy'sfriend

Reaction score
I haven't either. I don't know if it will slow things down at all. I was hoping someone else would volunteer to be the guinea pig.

tshawn

Reaction score
I turned on encryption for phone and SD card. Rebooted phone and let it "encrypt" the data. Powered off phone, removed SD card and put card in laptop, was able to mount card and read all data without issues. Put SD card back in phone, powered on and plugged phone in to laptop via USB cable, but did not unlock phone. Phone was not mounted, so could not read data from it.

Droid3, 2.3.4

Am I missing something?

buckeye25

Reaction score
The encryption only applies to new files you put on your SD card after you enable encryption. Try moving a word document over to your phone and then moving it back...it should be encrypted then.

nanohead

Reaction score
I'm so glad there's encryption now, so i can protect all my valuable useless info

tshawn

Reaction score
The encryption only applies to new files you put on your SD card after you enable encryption. Try moving a word document over to your phone and then moving it back...it should be encrypted then.

Tried that and still no encryption on phone or SD card of the new files/folders I placed on phone and card.

I'm going to do a factory reset, wipe the SD card, enable encryption and test. Trying to verify data is encrypted to protect corporate data and use the phone while meeting security policy.

iahawk

Reaction score
Just yesterday my phone stopped letting me use exchange because it said encryption was required. I figured no problem, I'll do it. Problem is, it won't let me, I keep getting an error saying there is not enough memory.

I've tried clearing my phone's internal storage, and sd card to no avail. I figured they must be referring to RAM, so I tried force closing all running apps and it still didn't work. I've also tried clearing caches, rebooting, etc.

Any ideas?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

ErcDaMerc

Reaction score
Does anyone know where the option is for encryption? On some devices it's in the security settings but I can't find it. Im on one of the leaked versions of ics.

Thanks!

smo180

Reaction score
ErcDaMerc said:
Does anyone know where the option is for encryption? On some devices it's in the security settings but I can't find it. Im on one of the leaked versions of ics.

Thanks!
Should be under Storage in settings.

acejavelin

Reaction score
It is there (in 4.3.605.2 but why would you be on any other leak?), but you should backup first, then factory reset and turn this on before doing anything else... I have seen people turn this on then wind up having to factory reset due corrupted internal storage. Also remember that this only effects the internal storage, not the microSD card (that is FAT32 and cannot be encrypted with the native Android encryption), and it also disables the ability to use Face Unlock and Pattern Unlock or have no unlock security, you must use PIN or Password security on the lock screen.

ErcDaMerc

Reaction score
Thanks guys - it's under security on my tablet so i didnt think to look under storage. I will factory reset.

toperm

Reaction score
The note 2 had a song for encryption. It days it takes an hour to do at least. Has anyone done this and what is this supposed to accomplish? Is it worth doing?

toperm

Reaction score
Had anyone done the encryption on the Note 2? I know what encryption is but what does it affect on a phone? Is it a hassle in daily use? Is it worth doing? Tx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
IYHO, what are the pros and cons of encrypting, if I'm already using a form of security like PIN or password?

(I assume your views wouldn't be Rezound-specific; please let me know if I'm mistaken.)

Thank you very much, acejavelin, for the warning!

Jeff Deutsch