Encrypted my s5... now I can only use passwords to unlock screen??

noslenwerd

Reaction score
Is there any possible way to undo this? I realize this is added security, but I really would like to go back to using a pattern to unlock?

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
You should be able to go in the same way you set it up and disable encryption. Go into system settings, security, Encrypt device.
After you've deactivated the encryption, back out of "security" and go into "lock screen" to set up a pattern lock.
Good luck & let us know how you make out.

tap'n

OP
N

noslenwerd

Reaction score
You should be able to go in the same way you set it up and disable encryption. Go into system settings, security, Encrypt device.
After you've deactivated the encryption, back out of "security" and go into "lock screen" to set up a pattern lock.
Good luck & let us know how you make out.

tap'n

blah.. went into settings > security > decrypt ... it went through the steps, restarted, and it is still encrypted. Tried it twice with no luck.

thanks for the reply though!

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
That's odd. Well, hang in there and hopefully someone can help shed some light on this for you.

tap'n

mikeyb1029

Reaction score
Is SD card still encrypted. If so it won't allow you to change settings. Device and card must be decrypted and device powered off

stillanidiot

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
samsung s5
Is SD card still encrypted. If so it won't allow you to change settings. Device and card must be decrypted and device powered off
OMG I can't get away from you!! any chance you know how to get rid of the encrypted password on an s5 without having to go to factory reset.. How do I know if I have transferred all my files to the sd card - is there an easy way just to copy everything to the card and then do factory reset. Samsung did not give me the correct info when I was on live chat (for the no-so-smart) and I then got cut off as it was 8pm when I was working through it via the phone... Guessing you are the one and only mikeyb :)!

G-Mat

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
OMG I can't get away from you!! any chance you know how to get rid of the encrypted password on an s5 without having to go to factory reset.. How do I know if I have transferred all my files to the sd card - is there an easy way just to copy everything to the card and then do factory reset. Samsung did not give me the correct info when I was on live chat (for the no-so-smart) and I then got cut off as it was 8pm when I was working through it via the phone... Guessing you are the one and only mikeyb :)!

I've just had the same problem.

1) Turned off encryption.

2) Restarted.

3) Screen lock - turned it completely off (swipe only)

4) Restarted.

Hope that works. If tried a few sequences before that didn't work. I'm guessing you could set up your other pattern after that.

G

stillanidiot

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
samsung s5
I've just had the same problem.

1) Turned off encryption.

2) Restarted.

3) Screen lock - turned it completely off (swipe only)

4) Restarted.

Hope that works. If tried a few sequences before that didn't work. I'm guessing you could set up your other pattern after that.

G
But did you loose all your data/photos/music/files etc?

Eggmegg

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy s5
I am unable to decrypt my device as well. I got to setting > security > decrypt device and it comes up change password then goes back to the main security settings after I change my password.
I've tried turning the device on and off, nothing changes. My phone is all up to date also. My screen looks different to what the tutorial YouTube videos look like as well.
Any suggestions would be fantastic.

Dutch7

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
I had issues with trying to get rid of password protection on my S5 because of FoxFi. So I found this: (edited by forum moderator) and now I am able to use pattern unlock. See if it works. Wouldn't hurt, right?

Direct apk download removed. Please visit PdaNet Help for WiFi Mode to resolve this FoxFi related issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SCH-I545 Galaxy S4 (Verizon)
It sounds like the device encryption might be stuck due to an update not applying correctly! You will need to perform a Kies 3 update and reset to factory to try and correct this. BACKUP ALL YOUR DATA TO THE PC!

If you need assistance..I am here to help! ;)

JArmijo

Reaction score
Try going into setting>>security>>phone administrators. Uncheck anything that's checked.

Then go back into settings>>security scroll down and tap on Clear Credentials.

I had a similar problem where I couldn't turn off the fingerprint scanner and this sequence fixed it. Hopefully, it'll work for you.