Emoji Input?

xthek1ng

Reaction score
So I know with the JB update you can see emojis... But how can we insert them into text? Anyone know?

Reaction score
Bumping because I'm curious about this as well. My wife keeps sending them to me and I can't send them back (unless I use handcent or another 3rd party).

rsteabo

Reaction score
Emoji Install Not Working

I found this in the Android keyboard settings based on an AC post.

View attachment 61706

View attachment 61708

Sent from my DROID RAZR running 4.1.2

I have a Verizon DROID RAZR MAXX (not HD) running v4.1.2

I am following instructions to:
  • Install "Emoji for English Words"
  • under "Add-on dictionaries"
  • under "Android keyboard (AOSP)" settings
  • under "Language & input"
  • under main phone "System settings"
When I do this, it shows successful "installed" status for a few moments, then spontaneously the "Emoji for English Words" line item disappears entirely. When I refresh, the line item reappears, with "Dictionary available" again, but installing it again just repeats the cycle.
Sometimes, the "Emoji for English Words" line item does not spontaneously disappear, but when I refresh, it shows "Dictionary available" again.
In either case, going out to try and use emojis when the "installed" status is present, does not work (using the android keyboard, not swype).
Very frustrating.

I saw on a thread on the RAZR MAXX HD support forum that lots of folks were having the same issue.

Is anyone else having this problem on this forum?
Has anyone solved this problem?

Thanks in advance for any assistance. :( (see... functioning emoji... would be nice to have on our phones...)

mikeichs

Reaction score
Same issue here. I have installed it several times. Still doesn't work.

JohnFH

Reaction score
I had the same issue as well. I found a post in this forum which claims that emojis work only on Android 4.2.

Sent from my DROID RAZR running 4.1.2

rsteabo

Reaction score
I had the same issue as well. I found a post in this forum which claims that emojis work only on Android 4.2.

Sent from my DROID

I've seen that too now a couple times, and guess that's the truth and end of story for now.
Frustrating.

vect97

Reaction score
I use multiling keyboard https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.klye.ime.latin
Once you install, when typing something, pull down the notification bar to switch to multiling. The only thing that sucks is that it doesn't have word recognition otherwise I would use it all the time. I just switch over to multiling and back to the android keyboard. For the multiling keyboard it took me a while to figure it out, but to view all emojis for a certain type, make sure you press and on abc/123 in the lower left first. Then drag to the smiley face. Then long press on one of the emojis for a full list of emojis to use. Select and let go and it will appear in the text field.

*edit: Sorry didn't see that one of you said you didn't want to use a 3rd party app. This app works well and I think it's the one most android users use. I'll leave this post up if anyone wants to use a third part app.
View attachment 66932View attachment 66933View attachment 66934View attachment 66935View attachment 66936 sorry other two pics wont upload.

Last edited:

raphael75

Reaction score
I was able to get emojis by getting the Google Keyboard from the Play Store.

JP 5.56

Reaction score
Installing the emoji dictionary in the Google keyboard doesn't seem to do anything. I'm on 4.2.2

scerpico22

Reaction score
pretty much same issue here...using android keyboard install emoji...it shows as installed then once refreshed shows as available. so i installed the google keyboard and installed emoji...it shows as installed but nothing.

frustrating to say the least...especially with so many people with same issue and no solution (insert emoji of a middle finger)

running 4.1.2