embedded info in photos

joekinde

Reaction score
I plan to post a photo from my droid onto craig's list and I was wondering if anyone had an idea what kind of info is embedded in the photo. I have geo-tracking enabled so location will be in there. But does the Droid include any really personal info, like IP, email, name, etc?

cuskit

Reaction score
Yep! Your social security number, bank acct numbers, what you had for dinner last night and WHO you had dinner with last night, where you spent the hours between 7 and 12:15 last Tuesday, etc. All that info is embedded digitally onto your photos! NOT! NOT! NOT! ;)

Actually - try this free download program ExifPro Image Viewer to view just what type of info is available for viewing by those who are interested. Or, try this software ImpulseAdventure - JPEGsnoop - JPEG Decoding Utility for even more info!

Mostly stuff about the camera, settings, etc. Not personal stuff about you. Check them out to ease your mind.

By the way, can you deposit another thousand bucks in your ATM account? After viewing the last photo you posted, I have used the available info to transfer all of your account balance to my offshore account, but would love if you could just put a few more g's in there for me to access? Hee How! Sorry - just in a silly mood. You can rest your mind. Just don't lie about where, when and what camera you used to take those photos. That kind of stuff WILL come back to haunt you as that's exactly what info is included with each photo! :)

Here is an example screenshot of info for the signature photo of my posts (the cherry MIKRADLE photo). That's just what is available on my Mac using the "get info" tab. Both programs I listed will show more "in depth" info than what I display in this screenshot.

cuskit

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 1,048
J

Johnly

I am guessing that this stems from itunes embedding personal info in the itunes tracks? Ha ha Apple keeps you in the dirt! FTW

Anomander

Reaction score
I downloaded Jpegsnoop and pulled up one of my Droid pictures. I was surprised with how much information was on there. I found that the Droid embeds GPSIFD information onto the pictures. Sure enough when I checked out the cordinates it was showing where I took my pictures on Google maps.

Mr Steve

Reaction score
Go to 'Gallery' on your Droid. Tap on a picture to open it. Now tap the menu button, then more, then 'Show on Maps'.