Embarrassing question

JollyRoger

Reaction score
Here is, what is likely to be, the most newb question ever.

What makes a Droid, well, a Droid? I notice some phones carry the "Droid" name and some do not. I was curious as to why. I have a Fascinate and wonder why it is not called the Droid Fascinate. I first thought it was because of the Bing thing, but that is going away soon. Also, I wonder if it is because the UI is different than other Droids. Curiosity is all.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
It's a Verizon thing. They paid money to use "Droid" to Lucas Arts. They choose to add the Droid name to certain Android phones but there doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason that they do so.

Typically it's been the top tier devices that received the Droid moniker...but the Facinate goes against that method.

Jmart922

Reaction score
Its just a type of brand Motorola and HTC has used for some of their high end phones excluding the Eris, the word Droid is actually owned by Lucasarts, there is no real distinction between the type of user interface a Droid phone can have, such as the original Droid using the vanilla experience of Google as oppose to HTC sense on the Droid incredible, Samsung has opted to not use the term Droid for whatever reason
Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

_Killer_

Reaction score
I wondered that myself actually... Didn't make sense to me that moto is actually using DROID as the name of the phone itself like DROID, DROID 2, DROID X, and DROID PRO.... Then you have the DROID Incredible and it's an HTC.. I assumed at first any phone with the android OS was considered a DROID then you see all these other android os phones with NO droid in their name!

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
It makes sense if you read post 2 in this thread. Droid is a Verizon marketing term. Note that the other carriers don't have Droids.

_Killer_

Reaction score
It makes sense if you read post 2 in this thread. Droid is a Verizon marketing term. Note that the other carriers don't have Droids.

Right, but why do SOME verizon phones carry the droid name... and SOME don't... i think that's the questions..

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon

Right, but why do SOME verizon phones carry the droid name... and SOME don't... i think that's the questions..

If the device is under the Droid name it WON'T have Bing. Droid's will have "with Google" stamped on the back.