email?

JayMonster

Reaction score
The Gmail app only does Gmail. The e-mail app is a "converged" inbox that combines corporate, POP3 and IMAP mail into a single source (and from many accounts has a lot of bugs).

OP
E

Electrode

Reaction score
Ok, how do I use only gmail app? I don't see in the settings how to do this. I only use a gmail account on my phone.

JayMonster

Reaction score
If you are only using Gmail, then you would just not use the standard e-mail icon just use the Gmail one and you are good to go.

OP
E

Electrode

Reaction score
But my emails popup in my notification and link to the email app? I don't see anything in gmail app to set as default or refresh frequncy.

JayMonster

Reaction score
You have your e-mail information entered twice then. There is no reason to add your Gmail login and information to the standard app.

Go into Gmail select Menu>Settings and make sure the notification is on for Gmail.

Then you can remove Gmail from "e-mail" accounts.

Laurence5905

Reaction score
The other difference is that GMail is "pushed" to the phone automatically. You have to set up the other EMail program to "check for mail" every so often.

Silver Member
Reaction score
1. remove all accounts from the email app (it might be better to do a factory reset).
2. login to gmail from a desktop and modify your account settings (accounts and import) to capture pop3 email.
3. (optional) create filters for each pop address that label all of your incoming emails (so you can differentiate between them).
4. (optional) set up "send mail as" to send through your original accounts (so that you're not replying to other email accounts with a gmail account.
5. profit.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Another difference, and for me this is a big one, is the fact that the gmail only gets partials links for like subscribed threads in forums you might have. If I see an email in the notification thats from a forum I use the regular email to open it, otherwise I don't get the subscription link.

This is really something that's annoying and should be fixed.

Silver Member
Reaction score
Another difference, and for me this is a big one, is the fact that the gmail only gets partials links for like subscribed threads in forums you might have. If I see an email in the notification thats from a forum I use the regular email to open it, otherwise I don't get the subscription link.

i never noticed. the conversations in gmail are threaded. have you tried clicking on the email headers?

i don't remember ever having that issue.

JayMonster

Reaction score

This only happens when you still have the full thread. It shortens the message areas of duplicates. If you just press and open the first message on the thread, you have the full link (it always comes on the first message of the thread).

I agree that I do not like it, and find it a bit annoying at times, but if you really don't like it, I'd suggest you open a thread over at Code.google.com/android because since it isn't really broken, it won't get "fixed" unless enough people ask to have the behavior changed.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

i never noticed. the conversations in gmail are threaded. have you tried clicking on the email headers?

i don't remember ever having that issue.

I click on the link in the announcement window. It then goes to the gmail folder and that's where I see these problem threads. It has part of the link but not the full link and if you don't have the whole link it doesn't work. It kind of looks like this: This thread is located at www.avsforum.reply#76.......

The trailing dots on the end are where it cuts off. Yet if I go to my regular email thread, the full link is there. And by the way, my mail is gmail.

If I get another one I'll copy it in the thread for you to see but the above is a good example.

Silver Member
Reaction score
but what happens if you click on it? who cares if it's truncated, as long as the link works.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

This only happens when you still have the full thread. It shortens the message areas of duplicates. If you just press and open the first message on the thread, you have the full link (it always comes on the first message of the thread).

I agree that I do not like it, and find it a bit annoying at times, but if you really don't like it, I'd suggest you open a thread over at Code.google.com/android because since it isn't really broken, it won't get "fixed" unless enough people ask to have the behavior changed.

I'm not sure what you mean by it only happens if you have the full thread. I see it every time in gmail, but I'll take your advice and mention it at the address you suggested.

It's not that inconvenient for me, just another step to take. Most of the time if I see they are from a forum I subscribe I don't even bother opening it I just go to my regular email.