email wont sync after ICS update

cruch9

Reaction score
My razr maxx updated to ice cream sandwich the other day and ever since then my e-mail accounts wont sync. Any ideas? Thansk

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I had an issues with my e-mail account after the update. Would not retrieve any messages. I went ahead and deleted the account and started over and all works fine now. Seems like there are several things that have to have a redo after the update.

Moving to ICS.

And welcome to the forum. Be sure to stop by here and give an introduction.

New Member Introductions & Site Assistance

Last edited:

HRP1980

Reaction score
My Maxx is doing the same thing. I had my work email set up on corporate sync before the ICS update with no problem. Once the phone was updated i kept getting an "unknown sync error" even though during set up it was completed and it said I should begin receiving email in a few minutes. I have tried everything from removing the account and resetting it up to changing my email password on the computer and resetting up the email account on my phone. NOTHING is working and I need to set it up. Our email is an outlook.com address but nothing I have tried is working. PLEASE HELP!!! :mad:

oak2207

Reaction score
My Maxx is doing sort of the same thing. It will sync manually, but push seems to be totally broken. I'll see an email hit my inbox, yet it never shows up on the phone unless I go manually refresh it. I feel like I'm back in the DroidX days :( I've done EVERYTHING, I've removed and added the account back again, I've reformatted the phone TWICE, and still get the same behavior. It may work for a minute or two, or catch a couple emails, but within a few minutes it seems to lose touch again with push. Almost the exact same behavior as the droidx when that first came out (as I had one) and Moto was giving out licenses to Touchdown to make email usable. Really hope we're not back in that boat again...

Last edited:

comptech78

Reaction score
Hey, I had the same problem after the ICS update. I got mine syncing now.

Try this:

System Settings > Accounts & sync > Turn on Sync in the upper right corner

Then you can select which accounts to sync :biggrin:

Horch it

Reaction score
comptech78 said:
Have you tried the steps I posted above? Still not syncing?

Yes, that basically turns sync on constantly so it no longer is data push. Your power control bar will reflect sync is on. I believe that ICS and 4G handle what would be considered a power hog (leaving sync on continually) better in battery power management. What do you think?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

jtc303

Reaction score

Try this:

Yea thats what I did too

tommyh70

Reaction score
Hello,

I do not see the same options on my droid razor maxx. I can goto Settings and the Accounts but there is no place to sync.

Try this:

comptech78

Reaction score
Hello,

I do not see the same options on my droid razor maxx. I can goto Settings and the Accounts but there is no place to sync.

Are you in the Settings inside your email, or the System Settings? (From Home screen, far left button beside Home button)

System Settings > Accounts & sync > The ON/OFF switch is at the top right

stepwise

Reaction score
Check Number of Sync Relationships

I was having the same problem and went nuts trying to solve it. For me, the problem was that I had too many sync relationships on the exchange server. In my case I was limited to 2. Because the ICS changed the phone os, exchange recognized it as a new device thus triggering the policy. The fix was to log in to my Web mail client and access the mobile settings to delete the relationship with the "old" phone.. Once I did that the phone immediately started to sync to exchange and the problem was solved. Hope this helps.

korling6

Reaction score
I have both gmail and Hotmail loaded on my DRoid Razr Maxx. Neither will sync. I saw a brief message that memory or cache was full, but now that does not show up. I have deleted and reloaded my hotmail account and now will only show new messages after I manually update. EVen though I have the option to "load more messages", selecting that does nothing.

My gmail account has never synced since I upgraded to ICS.

thanks in advance.