Email solution?

Purgatory

Reaction score
Email fix?

I have been conducting a test with my phone for the past 3 days to verify my findings on the email client built into the Android OS. The main thing I have been look at is I noticed that when i connected to Wi-Fi, I had connection issues with email locking up and not checking for new emails (not getting notifications). So, for the past 3 days I have turned off the Wi-Fi on my phone to see if this might help. So far i can say that I have not had any problems with getting new emails over my POP3 accounts. I wanted to test this out for a week, but I figured I would give you all the information to what others are able to get from this experiment and to and see if this fixes the problem for others as well.

I do have issues with signal as well, especially with where I work, but this has not been an issue. Actually, it seems as if the signals are now not interfering with each other as much and I have been able to get a stronger 3G signal where I had none before. The stronger signal might also not be true, as before I turned off the Wi-Fi, it might of been getting a better signal here.

I would encourage anyone to test this and report back to this thread and let others know how your test went. I will do the same in a week. So far so good and I am getting continual updates for email!

Edit: added the word notifications to make it easier for searching

Silver Member
Reaction score
fwiw, unless you've made changes to your settings, while your phone is sleeping, it's using 3G anyway since wifi is set to sleep after your display has been turned off.

OP
Purgatory

Purgatory

Reaction score
fwiw, unless you've made changes to your settings, while your phone is sleeping, it's using 3G anyway since wifi is set to sleep after your display has been turned off.

Yes, I know this, but I did make changes initially and told it to not turn off Wi-Fi as long as it is plugged in. But for this test, I have turned Wi-Fi off completely for the past 3 days

OP
Purgatory

Purgatory

Reaction score
I wanted to give an update on this issue.
It has been 5 days, and I am still getting my emails. No I am not rebooting my phone, I am not using a third party piece of software to get my POP3 emails, I also have yet to turn on my Wi-Fi and am still pulling them constantly. The intention is to give an update on Monday, and from there, I am going to contact Google about this.

OP
Purgatory

Purgatory

Reaction score
After 8 days, I am getting emails without any problems. So, if you are having issues with pulling emails, turn off your Wi-Fi connection and use your 3G or edge connection (though if you are on the edge of a connection, that will make it go into a loop as well, until your connection sorts out and you are able to connect to your email (last night I had a period I was going back and forth between 1x and 3G and it got confused until it had a connection for a while to one or the other).

aretoodeetoo

Reaction score
Got my Droid in November. No problems checking POP emails for 2 months. Went overseas for most of January.....no problem checking POP emails via WiFi while I was away. Got back to the states, suddenly not getting POP emails with the stock email app, even though it's set to check every 5 minutes, and when I force it to check (Load More Messages) it spins and spins and dowloads nothing.

Found this thread. Have turned off wireless to see if that helps. Now I just need someone to send me an email :)

I saw on a motorola forum a discussion of the same problem. Someone suggested turning the Data Roaming setting in Mobile Network Settings ON...as an alternative solution. Just wondering, Purgatory...what's your set to?

Hope they fix this. The WiFi workaroud is the simplest I've found yet, but seems weird that I should have trouble getting email while connected via WiFi.....

OP
Purgatory

Purgatory

Reaction score
My roaming is set to off and I get close to the Canadian border which would use roaming. As i stated in my earlier post, I had an issue yesterday, where my phone went from 1x to 3G several times in a couple of minutes span, and it had a problem trying to download an email, where it would just spin.

From my testing and what I have seen, the issue of the email is where it tried to connect from one type of connection to another (ie Wi-Fi to 3G to 1x). The problem I have really found with this last test is when it connects from Wi-Fi to the cell network and vise-versa. I am hoping this issue is fixed as well and maybe Google can fix this problem (or maybe it's not software based and it is hardware based?) I am just happier now that I have figured out a way for it to continually pull email now without it locking up in its own continual loop or not doing anything.

aretoodeetoo

Reaction score
Well, my droid seems to have stopped checking and or downloading again....WiFi has been turned off for 3 days. Day 1: POP emails worked as I would expect, Day 2: no dice Day 3: Still not working.

I just did yet another hard reboot to see if that fixes it.....but wondering what else to do?

OP
Purgatory

Purgatory

Reaction score
Well, my droid seems to have stopped checking and or downloading again....WiFi has been turned off for 3 days. Day 1: POP emails worked as I would expect, Day 2: no dice Day 3: Still not working.

I just did yet another hard reboot to see if that fixes it.....but wondering what else to do?

I did reboot my phone after turning the phone off for the week, but you might be having another issue. I also don't know if it is a program that might be interfering with you pulling emails. If this is really an issue, try K-9 email, or maybe you need to do a factory reset and install programs one at a time.

Detonation

Reaction score
My WiFi was never enabled (nor was it ever setup to connect to a network) and I still had the email problems where it wouldn't pull email and when forced would just load forever. A reboot would always fix it. I didn't like dealing with multiple inboxes anyways so I've since just had my POP emails downloaded through Gmail.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
The stock email app is BROKEN. Nobody should use it. Try k9. Not polished either but you will get your email.

Stock email app breaks after a few days. If you insist on using it, delete your accounts from it and create them again at least once per week.

OP
Purgatory

Purgatory

Reaction score
The stock email app is BROKEN. Nobody should use it. Try k9. Not polished either but you will get your email.

Stock email app breaks after a few days. If you insist on using it, delete your accounts from it and create them again at least once per week.

Funny you should mention that. I again activated my Wi-Fi so i could connect my phone to my PC again, and afterwards, that broke my email pulling. Yes, I stopped getting my POP3 emails pulled a few tries after turning on Wi-Fi (my phone was pulling in 15 minute increments). I will say this again, if you want to pull email from the stock app, you have to turn off Wi-Fi, and reboot your phone. I am sure it will work as long as you do not turn your Wi-Fi on.

EDIT: sorry, been too busy to check back and reply until now.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I should take back some of what I said about the stock email client, although it does have issues such as sending base 64 encoded messages that show up as jibberish in some email clients. This does appear to be an OS issue because k9 stops polling too.

So wifi is the culprit, eh? Very interesting. Too bad it requires a reboot when you want to use wifi. I wonder if the wifi problem is causing the gmail sync issue:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...25444-how-long-does-your-gmail-sync-last.html

OP
Purgatory

Purgatory

Reaction score
I am not sure if that is causing the gmail sync issue, I can honestly say I have not seen an issue with my three gmail accounts syncing. I will state, after trying to have Wi-Fi on, I turned it off again and reboot my phone (damn it starts up slow because of all the crappily written third party apps that I use, but they are useful to me and I know what they are and do). I am now getting POP3 emails again, without any hiccups. So far, my Wi-Fi looks to be the issue each and every time. I will keep updating until I have no more info to share.

jlghertner

Reaction score
email push: no

Neither Motorola nor Verizon admit that this is a problem. i have been working with a technician at Motorola (after 13 other idiots, I mean techs) who is working with me. they took all my settings and passwords and put them in a droid at their tech center and changed my outgoing settings from my verizon acct to my gmail acct leaving the incoming settings at verizon, with verizon as the default.

It didn't fix it on my phone but did on their phone at the tech center. They are sending me a brand new phone, not a refurb, to try this. (MY third droid).

they claim that I have the only droid that fails to push the email. (actually the only 2) You guys need to start calling the tech people so I am not alone out there fighting corporate America. If I get a fix, I will pass it along.