Email Setup - Pop3 and Excvhange

Hawkes

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have a much older phone and am looking to finally upgrade. I was looking at the Droid 2 and my question pertains to the email setup. I have both a POP3 and Exchange email I need to setup. First, can these both work together in harmony and if so, does it present any specific nuances that could make it frustrating to have both on there?

I know it sounds like a silly question and if it were two POP3 email accounts, I wouldn't think twice, but with the addition of the exchange account, I just want to be sure.

Thanks everyone.

-Hawkes

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum and good question.

Like you, I have two email accounts (Gmail and Exchange). Currently, I use K9 to handle my Gmail and the Corporate email app for Exchange. Many folks use the Touchdown email app (paid in the market) because it will handle POP, IMAP, and Exchange.

Mike

OP
H

Hawkes

Reaction score
mwhartman,

Thanks for the quick reply. So with either K9 or Touchdown, I can support both type of email accounts. More questions...

Would I get alerts if either account recieves a new email without asking it to check for new email?

Aside form the obvious limitations of using a mobiel device, what limitations can I expect to encounter if any? Signatures, etc.

Thanks again.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
mwhartman,

Thanks for the quick reply. So with either K9 or Touchdown, I can support both type of email accounts. More questions...

I've not been able to get K9 to work with my Exchange. If you are willing to pay the price, Touchdown will handle all.

Would I get alerts if either account recieves a new email without asking it to check for new email?

Yes, each app has the ability to notify when new mail arrives. You can select a different ringtone for each app so you will know what app has received mail.

Aside form the obvious limitations of using a mobiel device, what limitations can I expect to encounter if any? Signatures, etc.

Like the ringtones, you can assign a different signature to each app. All paid apps have a 24 hour grace period that allows you to test the app. If you return within 24 hours or less you will not be charged.

Thanks again.

Hope this is helpful.

Mike

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Touchdown is Exchange only.

It does support some other mail servers but not POP or IMAP. See Welcome to NitroDesk, Inc. for details.

You don't have to use one email app for all your email accounts. You can have multiple email apps. Most devices have a stock app that support Exchange but some people don't find the stock app to be sufficient for their needs.

Last edited:
OP
H

Hawkes

Reaction score
So are either of you suggesting the combination of K9 and Touchdown... one for pop3 and one for exchange or just let the stock client handle the pop3? I'd like to try and have the best client for both if there isn't one that handles both natively.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Since learning that Touchdown does not support POP or IMAP you will need two separate apps. If you click the link in takeshi's post there is a button that allows you to install Touchdown for a 30 day free trial. Give it a try and let us know the outcome.

Miniblue

Reaction score
I use the stock mail program and it handles bot my exchange account at work and my personal comcast account. I even get a combined inbox if I get mail in both accounts. The stock account is better with 2.2, however for a reply or forward if you want a signature use "inserty"

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
So are either of you suggesting the combination of K9 and Touchdown... one for pop3 and one for exchange or just let the stock client handle the pop3? I'd like to try and have the best client for both if there isn't one that handles both natively.
The stock app will handle both natively but what's "best" for you will be up to you to determine. For some, the stock app is all they need/want. For others, it's not sufficient. It's not a one-size-fits-all world.

I didn't care for how the Droid's stock email app handled folders, didn't allow me to specify sync timeframe as I desired or how it didn't allow me to specify which email messages triggered a notification. Touchdown does all that and it's why I use it. YMMV. There are threads on the various Exchange clients and you can also read up on the other options via the developers' sites. If you have specific needs/wants that you want to ask about people may be able to address your concerns if you post them.

Last edited: