Email Set-up Issue

Pete4

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I just got my new Droid, and love it so far! I have been having some complications setting up my email though. I have a POP email account for school and I go through the entire set up procedure and get to the outgoing server part only to enter my info. in and it will either tell me that it couldn't go through or give me an error "Cannot connect to server (500 5.5.1 Command Unrecognized: "XXXX localhost")" I have tried so many times, and yet it will not let me pass this screen. I had no problems with this email account on any of my previous blackberries.

Another weird problem I've been having is that I get errors saying i need to force quit the messaging app and then it won't send my messages and keeps trying to send the same ones over and over again but they never go through. I usually have to pull the battery out to get it to start letting me send messages again.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

alm0614

Reaction score
make sure the incoming and outgoing server are correct as well as the ports and security type.. search on your schools page for setting up email for outlook 2007, as the settings are the same

OP
P

Pete4

Reaction score
Okay I've done this and I still get the same error. I looked and the outgoing server is on Port 25. And when I do this configuration I still get the 5.5.1 error with all the X's. I tried to use one of the other default port settings and then I just get the generic error message saying it's not configured right. I only get the cryptic one when I try Port 25

alm0614

Reaction score
i have a .edu email account and my settings are

incoming
port:995
security: SSL

outgoing
port:465
security: SSL

idk if your school is the same, and you need to check the servers as well

OP
P

Pete4

Reaction score
Okay thanks everyone for your help. I've tried alm's suggestion and that was no go. It's a really horrifically simple email program so I can't understand why it's being so obstinate! I keep trying and getting the "Cannot connect to server (500 5.5.1 Command Unrecognized: "XXXXXXXXX localhost")" message. I'll try again tomorrow, maybe the servers are having a bad night. Our school is migrating to google email accounts next month, but it would be really nice to get this working as it's the end of the semester and my emails are piling up!

The current webmail is webmail.wfu.edu there isn't much information to be seen from that screen but maybe it will give someone an idea!

OP
P

Pete4

Reaction score
Okay so I contacted IS at my school and they gave me the correct settings which I already pretty much was using. I tried them and I still get the "Cannot connect to server (500 5.5.1 Command Unrecognized: "XXXXXXXXX localhost")" message. Oddly enough the number of X's in the error message changes.

bassjam99

Reaction score
I'm not sure what email you have, but this may help.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-faq/3276-motorola-droid-how-setup-yahoo-email.html

Courtesy of Phandroid.com and JimMariner

This video helped me when taking my Droid in to two different Verizon stores could not. :icon_ banana: I could not send/respond to yahoo messages that I picked up. The video showed me all I needed to do was in the outgoing settings click require sign in and put in my passwords. You would not believe the solutions I was getting with the Verizon folks. :mad: