Email screwed up?

TheHow7zer

Reaction score
For some reason, my email app (not gmail) is giving me duplicate notices of new mail. Every time it checks for new mail, even if there is none it tells me that there is. If I go to check the mail I typically find no unread mail at all. This is really bothering me as every 5 minutes I am checking my email only to find nothing new.

If anyone could help me out, that would be great.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
For some reason, my email app (not gmail) is giving me duplicate notices of new mail. Every time it checks for new mail, even if there is none it tells me that there is. If I go to check the mail I typically find no unread mail at all. This is really bothering me as every 5 minutes I am checking my email only to find nothing new.

If anyone could help me out, that would be great.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Stop using the stock email app. It totally sucks.

Here is how to use the Gmail app (much much better) for all your email needs and it saves battery power too!

Emails: Stop using the stock email app and try this. It saves battery power and in some cases emails arrive quicker. This scheme will have you using only the Gmail app on the phone for all email accounts whether they are pop3 accounts or Gmail. Go to the Google Gmail inbox on your computer and log into the Gmail account. On the top right of the screen is an option called Settings. In there is an option to have the Gmail program poll your regular, non-Gmail accounts. Provide the email address and the password. The Google Gmail program will then poll your other accounts on a frequency from 1-5 minutes and push the email immediately to your phone. The polling frequency is determined by each account's activity - more emails = faster polling. This saves battery power because on the android OS pop3 accounts are polled at a frequency of 1-30 minutes and that really eats battery. Because the phone goes and checks those accounts for mail whether there is mail there or not.

Good luck.

OP
TheHow7zer

TheHow7zer

Reaction score
The problem is that I have an imap account that I need for school. Is there any way to get that to work for it?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
From their website: Setting up Mail Fetcher is easy and free, but the email accounts you'd like to fetch from must support POP access and, in the case of Gmail addresses, have POP access enabled. Some free email services don't offer POP access to their users, so please contact the customer service department of your other webmail provider to determine if POP access is available in your non-Google email account.

So, it looks like it's up to your IT folks as to whether you are going to be able to do this or not. If you are here's the location: gmail/inbox/settings/accounts & Import/Check mail using POP3.

If it doesn't work this way, can you perhaps simply forward your imap emails to the gmail account?

Good luck.

OP
TheHow7zer

TheHow7zer

Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the help, but I wan my hotmail back!
Every time I try to look for new emails in the email app, non of my hotmail messages load. I end up having to check two separate apps every time/I check my mail :(
(I followed the instructions above ^ that is what got me stuck :(

OP
TheHow7zer

TheHow7zer

Reaction score
Never mind, I found the problem (but still no solution)
Something (gmail?) Is systematically deleting ALL of my emails!
I had many important messages in there! Old passwords, info, etc...

I removed the hotmail account from gmail, but they are still getting deleted... HELP!!!

OP
TheHow7zer

TheHow7zer

Reaction score
Sounds like you have something (PC or Phone) set to delete emails when they are downloaded.

Sorry if I am coming across as rude, but I already knew that.
I need a fix, not an assesment of my situation.

Does anyone know of a setting in gmail that I could turn off and prevent my emails from auto deleting?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Sounds like you have something (PC or Phone) set to delete emails when they are downloaded.

Sorry if I am coming across as rude, but I already knew that.
I need a fix, not an assesment of my situation.

Does anyone know of a setting in gmail that I could turn off and prevent my emails from auto deleting?

You're welcome.

OP
TheHow7zer

TheHow7zer

Reaction score
ok, I think I have it worked out for now, I had to (properly) remove hotmail from my account list.
I hope that fixed it :)