email questions

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by howardtheduck, Mar 23, 2010.

1. howardtheduck

howardtheduck New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey just a quick question. I have the Motorola Droid. I work at a company that uses an email responce program. I have the program we use send an email to my work's outlook account which is linked to my Droid. It has worked pretty well. But it seems that about once a month I do no get some of my emails. They will pop up as soon as I power cycle my phone. I have also noticed the phone will tell me I have an email quicker if I check it or move the phone, it will not always pop up right away. Example I may have a 10 min old email that only poped up after I hit the top button to take it out of lock/sleep mode. But other times it will let me know I have an email right away. Any settings I can change? I have it set to check for emails every 5 mins.
    I have checked all of the small details I can. I have good service, and it will work 95% of the time.
    Any ideas?:icon_eek:

2. aminaked

aminaked Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Which email program are you using? Stock email, k9?

Do you use an automated task killer?

Do you use wifi?

3. howardtheduck

howardtheduck New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am using stock email, no wi-fi, no task killer. Could you explain K9 for me?

4. aminaked

aminaked Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I really dislike the stock "Email" app. I'm not sure if it is the cause of your problem but I wouldn't be surprised. K9 is the only alternative to the Email app. You can get it from the market and it's free so it's worth a try. To try it out, you should first disable the "Email" app. You could delete your account from it, but there should be a way for you to just tell it to never check mail...assuming you are using pop and not imap.

I know you're not, but if you were using a task killer I'd tell you to stop using it as it can mess with getting email. Wifi too, might cause email to hiccup from time to time and require a reboot.

5. takeshi

takeshi Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What type of email account is this? Outlook is the mail client on your desktop and doesn't really help as it supports a number of different types of email accounts. What type of server is it? Exchange?

6. jsh1120

jsh1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    K9 is simply an email client, analogous to the gmail app on your droid or the Outlook client on your computer. But like Outlook and not like gmail, it works with a variety of email servers.

7. ReaganSmash

ReaganSmash New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    This isn't entirely true, I'm using the e-mail app HTC developed for the Magic and I like it more than the stock app. It's also free and available on the market, there is a QR code at this link.
    Exchange ActiveSync on your G1! | Nexeo.net

I installed K9 but as far as I could tell it doesn't support push which is a problem for me. I may be incorrect about that, someone who uses it would certainly know better than I do. I just wanted to point out that K9 is not the ONLY alternative. In addition, there is a paid app TouchDown which is also on the market. It's $20 but the cost may be worth it since it's pretty much Outlook for Android. I think they have a free trial too.
    NitroDesk Inc. - TouchDown features

-RS-

8. aminaked

aminaked Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You're right. My bad. Maybe it's the only alternative in the market? I also read about something called Seven in another thread. Don't think it's available yet tho:

SEVEN ? Proven Push Platform for Mobile Applications