email questions

howardtheduck

Reaction score
Hey just a quick question. I have the Motorola Droid. I work at a company that uses an email responce program. I have the program we use send an email to my work's outlook account which is linked to my Droid. It has worked pretty well. But it seems that about once a month I do no get some of my emails. They will pop up as soon as I power cycle my phone. I have also noticed the phone will tell me I have an email quicker if I check it or move the phone, it will not always pop up right away. Example I may have a 10 min old email that only poped up after I hit the top button to take it out of lock/sleep mode. But other times it will let me know I have an email right away. Any settings I can change? I have it set to check for emails every 5 mins.
I have checked all of the small details I can. I have good service, and it will work 95% of the time.
Any ideas?:icon_eek:

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Which email program are you using? Stock email, k9?

Do you use an automated task killer?

Do you use wifi?

OP
H

howardtheduck

Reaction score
I am using stock email, no wi-fi, no task killer. Could you explain K9 for me?

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I really dislike the stock "Email" app. I'm not sure if it is the cause of your problem but I wouldn't be surprised. K9 is the only alternative to the Email app. You can get it from the market and it's free so it's worth a try. To try it out, you should first disable the "Email" app. You could delete your account from it, but there should be a way for you to just tell it to never check mail...assuming you are using pop and not imap.

I know you're not, but if you were using a task killer I'd tell you to stop using it as it can mess with getting email. Wifi too, might cause email to hiccup from time to time and require a reboot.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have the program we use send an email to my work's outlook account which is linked to my Droid.
What type of email account is this? Outlook is the mail client on your desktop and doesn't really help as it supports a number of different types of email accounts. What type of server is it? Exchange?

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am using stock email, no wi-fi, no task killer. Could you explain K9 for me?

K9 is simply an email client, analogous to the gmail app on your droid or the Outlook client on your computer. But like Outlook and not like gmail, it works with a variety of email servers.

ReaganSmash

Reaction score
I really dislike the stock "Email" app. I'm not sure if it is the cause of your problem but I wouldn't be surprised. K9 is the only alternative to the Email app.

This isn't entirely true, I'm using the e-mail app HTC developed for the Magic and I like it more than the stock app. It's also free and available on the market, there is a QR code at this link.
Exchange ActiveSync on your G1! | Nexeo.net

I installed K9 but as far as I could tell it doesn't support push which is a problem for me. I may be incorrect about that, someone who uses it would certainly know better than I do. I just wanted to point out that K9 is not the ONLY alternative. In addition, there is a paid app TouchDown which is also on the market. It's $20 but the cost may be worth it since it's pretty much Outlook for Android. I think they have a free trial too.
NitroDesk Inc. - TouchDown features

-RS-

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I really dislike the stock "Email" app. I'm not sure if it is the cause of your problem but I wouldn't be surprised. K9 is the only alternative to the Email app.

This isn't entirely true, I'm using the e-mail app HTC developed for the Magic

You're right. My bad. Maybe it's the only alternative in the market? I also read about something called Seven in another thread. Don't think it's available yet tho:

SEVEN ? Proven Push Platform for Mobile Applications