Email not synching after inactivity

damianinpa

Reaction score
All,
Just got my droid2 setup with my corporate email. I noticed today that after a period of inactivity (phone on, but, black screen..no calls or texts) I stopped getting email. I checked my email from my computer and some new messages did come in, so, I sent myself a test email and the phone did nothing. Next, I hit the power button to turn the screen on, entered my pincode and still nothing. I had to tap email icon and then the messages synched. Is this a known bug? Data push is turned on and fetch is set to 15 minutes. My next test..I waited about 20 minutes and sent another email. Phone was in same state as earlier and this worked. So, is there something I am missing with a long period of inactivity on the phone and email not auto-synching?

solar

Reaction score
Hmm. I'm not sure what the issue would be. I ended up using Touchdown. While certainly not free, it works well. I used corporate mail on my droid1 until the froyo FRG22 update which broke my corporate mail. thats when i tried the trial of touchdown and decided to keep it. It may not be as good an answer as having the thing work they way it should, but at least theres an option. Also you could try using "improved email" which is basically the same as the default mail app, just modified. Its free and it worked for me as well as touchdown. I just like the interface on TD better as well as not being forced to use a pin to unlock my phone and aving my pattern unlock disabled.

Barristro

Reaction score
Is that the only thing not syncing? Are your calendars working?

If nothing is syncing, then perhaps you have some program trying to save your battery life that turned it off phone-wide. Only way I know to turn it back on is with the Android widget "power control"

OP
D

damianinpa

Reaction score
The battery saving was set to 'Night mode', but, I did change this so there would be no interruption of synching and it did not help. I have looked further on the Web and other users are reporting this issue, so, I believe it is a bug. It seems after a period of time of inactivity on the phone, it just stops synching if a new email arrives. This is applicable for calendar and contacts too. Only way to refresh is to tap email on the phoen and then it synchs.

5o5

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue except when I hit refresh, it still won't update. The only time it updates it seems is when I am out of the building using a 3g signal.

kat<3droid2

Reaction score
I had this same problem. I don't know what caused my sync to stop working but I wasn't syncing any of my email accounts, corporate sync, or calendar automatically. It took me a few days to figure it out but I was able to resolve the issue.

Solution: Settings/Accounts, select one account, Remove account. Then Add account, and add it back. All my emails and calendars started to sync.

If you don't want to remove the corporate sync account (I didn't because it was a pain to set up) and you don't have any other email accounts on your phone, try adding a new one.

Cheers.

NocturnalEMT

Reaction score
I agree with all the above. It's like my Droid 2 is just doing a push every so often. I need my corporate emails to arrive like a text, and for the money I spend on my corporate data access plan...I'm getting pissed off. Can someone please alleviate this problem. :blackdroid:

wickmanjw

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I could not figure out why my droid x was not automatically syncing emails. This website is awesome. Thanks for all the great posts!

VVoltz

Reaction score
I realized about this issue a few days ago, seems to be a bug in either the email service or the stock messaging app. I did realized that turning Airplane mode on and then off would all my emails sync again so what I decided to do was create a profile on the app Tasker that woulrn Airplane on and off every our during the day.

I'm going to try adding my email account again, I hope that works, sounds better than my solution.

OP
D

damianinpa

Reaction score
I looked on Motorola site - Forums..this appears to be a known issue with the 'push' not working all the time. There is definitely an issue when the phone sits and goes inactive..the push stops working. According to some other people who have contacted Motorola, this is known and there will be an update release, but, not ETA. If anyone else finds a fix, please post.

gohoosiers

Reaction score
I have experienced this same problem. However, mine will sync without having to push email. I just start doing anything else and emails start coming in.

Moochelle

Reaction score
Same problem here, and the only thing I have really tried is to just soft reboot. It still didn't work right though :(

I am glad to hear they are aware and working on it though :)

NocturnalEMT

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of an update to when this issue is going to be "debugged"? :blackdroid:

s0nlxaftrsh0ck

Reaction score
Ah okay..so i'm not the only one with this problem..

i tried syncing my accounts, changing battery mode and nothing as of yet.

EDIT: don't know if this will solve the problem but i think the power manager widget may have something to do with it. Tap and hold your screen for a sec and wait for the widget window to come up. Go to android widgets and scroll all the way down to power control. Tap it and make sure you have at least 4 squares of space or so as it's quite huge...

There should be five icons going left to right it should be

Wifi, bluetooth, gps, sync, and brightness.

If your sync is grayed out and doesn't have a green line under it then it's shut off. Tap it to activate it and let that "should" get you back to your mails being delivered to you automatically. Hope this helps

Last edited:

Artex88

Reaction score
Glad to see I'm not the only one seeing this. Checked that 'Sync' suggestion, but it looks like it's been enabled on my phone this whole time, so it's gotta be something else. I'm testing this out for my company, and of all the things to not work perfectly, this is by for the most damaging to any sort of recommendation I could give. Looking forward to a fix for this... hopefully soon.