Email Not Loading

SJSD

Reaction score
Here's my problem and I hope someone can help.
Yesterday my email was loading onto my phone with no issues. I was able to send and receive emails from my cox.net account

This morning I noticed I did not get any alerts that I had email, and I know that there were new emails on the server. I tried to use the email icon on the phone and the message comes up that my emails are loading but it never loads.

I called verizon and the tech there told to delete the account and re-enter it. I did that and it did not help. He said that the issue then would be, that the port number is wrong and that I have to call my internet provider to get a new port number. But he has seen this with other customers with smart phones.

I called Cox Communications and they said it is a Verizon issue and they are not allowed to give out port numbers.

Did anyone have this problem?

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
The statements "Working before" and "I know there are messages on the server" leads me to an assumption which may be what you are experiencing.

I am a mobile on the go guy. My main email PC is a laptop. When the laptop is open, email program open (Outlook) and connected to the Internet, I do not get messages on my phone. As in, Droid knows I got the message elsewhere. When my laptop is sleeping, not connected to the Internet, or Outlook off, I get message notifications and email. As in, Droid knows I did not get the message elsewhere.

Does "I know messages are on the server" mean you have downloaded messages to your PC? Put Droid back to all of your original settings that worked before. Try shutting down email, disconnect from the Internet (I do not know what is the trigger as I do all at the same time on my laptop) on your PC, get someone to send you an email and see if you get it along with the notification.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
the port number is wrong and that I have to call my internet provider to get a new port number.

The normal SMTP port is 25 but some ISPs switch it over to 587. You would have to call your ISP to be sure. But this would only prevent you from sending email over wifi. Does email work with phone's wifi off?

But in the first place, you shouldn't use the stock email client. Use K9 from the market.

OP
SJSD

SJSD

Reaction score
@FunN4Lo-Thank you for your quick reply. You gave me some food for thought. During the day I do not turn off my laptop completely, I leave it sleeping. But no messages are downloaded while it's sleeping. My email account is very busy, and at one time, I purposely sent myself a message from another account to test the Droid to see if it would pick up the message and it did not.

After I posted this, I also looked up the problem on the web and it seems that people with comcast connections are experiencing the same issues. I tried to completely turn off my Droid, which I had not previously done, and take out the battery and then turn the phone back on and my Droid picked up the emails perfectly.

The comcast subscribers with my problems seemed to have some luck doing that as well. Personally, I don't like that solution and I am not going to be happy if I have to keep doing that. For the money I paid for the Droid, things like this should not happen on a regular basis.

In fact, some of the comcast users were able to get a new Droid and that did not solve the problem either and led some of them to return the phones.

I'm going to keep an eye on it and see how it goes.

Thanks again.

OP
SJSD

SJSD

Reaction score
It seems to be working now, I turned it off and took out the battery and when it loaded, that seemed to work. thanks for your reply and willlingness to assist me.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I did a quick read so perhaps I missed something.

Yesterday, you were receiving emails on your Droid but today are not. Are you able to access your email with your computer? I ask because of the port issue raised above.

I have two Mac's and two email accounts (Gmail and Exchange [Corporate] My wife uses the iMac and I use a Mac Book Pro. Typically, I do not access my email from her computer. Each morning, I turn on my Droid and MacBook and do a number of things read this forum check email etc. When I am finish, I close the lid of my Mac and it goes to sleep. When email arrives, my Droid sends one notification alert for Gmail and a different alert for Exchange. Email from both accounts arrives on my Droid before my computer. My point is that if your computer is awake or sleeping, the Comcast email will be delivered. I have the sense that your problem lies with Comcast and not with your Droid.

You did not mention but I'm guessing that Comcast is POP so I would go back the Comcast and ask them what they changed.

Mike

OP
SJSD

SJSD

Reaction score
Hi Mike
No I don't have comcast. I have cox cable, but it's funny you should mention comcast. After I posted here, I googled the problem and came up with a page where about a dozen comcast people were complaining they had the same problem.

Some of them just turned off the phone completely and took out the battery and that solved the problem. Some others, "Not so much". I did just that, I powered off and took out the battery and when I replaced it, the problem was solved.

In my case Verizon said it was Cox Communication's issue and I needed to get a port number from them. I called Cox and they said they do not give out port numbers, so it was a "he said, she said" thing.

I was lucky that by just removing the battery and replacing it, solved my problem. But thank you for responding, I appreciate it.

Now if someone could tell me how to extend the battery life for the phone, it would make my day!:)

OP
SJSD

SJSD

Reaction score
thanks hookbill, I will do that. I had no idea that the Droid does not require battery pulls. Thank you

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi Mike
No I don't have comcast. I have cox cable, but it's funny you should mention comcast. After I posted here, I googled the problem and came up with a page where about a dozen comcast people were complaining they had the same problem.

Some of them just turned off the phone completely and took out the battery and that solved the problem. Some others, "Not so much". I did just that, I powered off and took out the battery and when I replaced it, the problem was solved.

In my case Verizon said it was Cox Communication's issue and I needed to get a port number from them. I called Cox and they said they do not give out port numbers, so it was a "he said, she said" thing.

I was lucky that by just removing the battery and replacing it, solved my problem. But thank you for responding, I appreciate it.

Now if someone could tell me how to extend the battery life for the phone, it would make my day!:)

Sorry for the misread. I'm glad, however, that your problem is resolved.

I am curious -- Were you able to read email with your computer when it was not delivered to your Droid?

Mike

OP
SJSD

SJSD

Reaction score
Hi again Mike
I sure was able to read it even though it did not go to the droid.

My email loads both on the latptop and the Droid. If I delete it from my droid, it stays on my laptop. I'm very glad that it stays on my laptop.
Once I delete from my laptop, it is erased from the Droid.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi again Mike
I sure was able to read it even though it did not go to the droid.

My email loads both on the latptop and the Droid. If I delete it from my droid, it stays on my laptop. I'm very glad that it stays on my laptop.
Once I delete from my laptop, it is erased from the Droid.

Interesting. When I delete an email from my Droid or Mac it get deleted on the other. My iPhone worked the same way. So I'm thinking that your Cox account is POP.

Hopefully, you will not have this problem again.

Mike

BTW My wife and I use to live in Ocean View. Love the Tide Water area.

vishal

Reaction score
email issues with DROID

So I have a cox.net account and my DROID does not load the emails. When I try refreshing or "load more messages" it just keeps thinking and nothing happens. Does anyone else have this issue? I have exhcanged phones and that didnt help.

Thanks

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
So I have a cox.net account and my DROID does not load the emails. When I try refreshing or "load more messages" it just keeps thinking and nothing happens. Does anyone else have this issue? I have exhcanged phones and that didnt help.

Thanks

I did a google search and found this:

COX and SMTP with ERIS DROID - PPCGeeks

You have to make sure all of your settings are correct.