Email (Not Gmail) Force Close

noisufnoc

Reaction score
Over the weekend I started having problems with my Email app force closing. I can see the messages but when I try to open any of them, I get the force close message. I tried reconfiguring the Exchange mailbox with no success. I am running the 2.1 OS, Build number ERD72 and am rooted. (obviously).

I can go back to the official 2.0.1 if necessary, but the Email did work before, just something has changed recently.

Thoughts? :icon_ banana:

OP
noisufnoc

noisufnoc

Reaction score
Are there any applications that could be interfering?

OP
noisufnoc

noisufnoc

Reaction score
there are many users having the issue on 2.0.1 - a hard reset usually fixes the issue, of course you need to reconfigure your device each time. Sometimes killing the services manually seems to do the trick.

Issue 4866 - android - Corporate exchange email account keeps getting removed / deleted approximately daily - Project Hosting on Google Code

great to see it is still a problem in 2.1. hooray!

I actually don't think the problem I'm seeing is the same as what has been reported in that bug. I can see my mail, I even get notified when there's a new message, but when I try to read or compose a message the Email app force closes.

The application Email (process com.android.email) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

However, this did work correctly before, it just doesn't now.

John.Edwards

Reaction score
I hope you are correct about this not being the same issue. If this is not resolved in 2.1 I will need to give up the Droid - email should just work on a smartphone in 2010.

FWIW - this is how the issue started for me, after a few FC's I just got a black screen.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Oddly, the fix worked for me, but the folder sync issue really got under my skin especially since the OTHER phone I used to use had no problems with them.

Yes. With the phone landscape what it is Android shouldn't have any email issues. It's just too critical. But in reality each phone has it's weakness, and you have to be smart about what you can or cannot live with.

OP
noisufnoc

noisufnoc

Reaction score
I did this...

1: clear email data by going into settings-> applications -> Manage Applications -> settings-> filter (by all/running) select email -> clear data

I then re-configured my exchange info and the problem was resolved.

struong57

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for this info. my email is working again. for a moment there I thought I was gonna have to fork out $20 for touchdown app.