PW_Irvine

Reaction score
My Configuration and Settings
Phone: Droid Razr Maxx HD
Android Version: 4.1.1
System Version: 9.1.41.XT926.Verizon.en.US
Email Client: Standard Android email client - Version 4.7.161
Mailbox Check Frequency: Every 15 minutes

Email communication with Cox Communications POP3 Servers worked perfectly for first three weeks after buying phone, but now suddenly email no longer updates. No change made to Email Settings on either phone or POP3 accounts. No new software installed. Email accounts update if I force an update (so I know that settings are still correct), but will not automatically do so. I've tried all of the standard troubleshooting will no results. Any ideas?

charliez916

Reaction score
This happened to me about 3 weeks ago...called Verizon and they said this happens to android when using email such as yahoo, hotmail, aol etc....don't buy it because my mail was working on my android tablet and htc thunderbolt....they recommended using k9 app for email...well after 2 weeks I put the password and username back into my email and all of sudden it now works

OP
PW_Irvine

PW_Irvine

Reaction score
This happened to me about 3 weeks ago...called Verizon and they said this happens to android when using email such as yahoo, hotmail, aol etc....don't buy it because my mail was working on my android tablet and htc thunderbolt....they recommended using k9 app for email...well after 2 weeks I put the password and username back into my email and all of sudden it now works

The standard email client that came with my Verizon Droid Razr Mazz HD (Motoemail Version 4.7.161) worked perfectly with Cox's email servers for three weeks, and then it just stopped working. I have never used any other email client with my phone (Yahoo!, Hotmail, AOL Mail, etc.), period! I strongly suspect that Cox did something on their end that is blocking Motoemail from successfully polling my Cox email accounts. There is simply no other explanation since I did not change any settings on my phone or install any new apps or software on my phone in the days prior to my email updates suddenly ceasing. It is possible, I suppose, that an automatic update to an app or service running on my phone caused the problem, but I think that this is highly unlikely. Unfortunately, the majority of the techs at Cox are complete nitwits, so I don't hold out any hope that they will help me to solve the updating problem. Their recommended solution for all Android-related email issues appears to be that you should install "K-9 Mail" (although Cox doesn't support it and it has many of its own well documented problems), but that is just unacceptable to me. Why can't Cox and Motorola just sit down together and resolve this problem? The fact is, they could probably easily do so via a couple of phone conference calls if either of them really cared about their customers' needs.

In the meantime, check out these conflicting instuctions from the Cox and Motorola websites about how to set up Cox email on an Android phone:

- Cox: Set Up an Android Phone to Send and Receive Cox.net Email
- Motorola: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/48700

24c

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
DROID TURBO
I have the same phone, and a Nexus 7 tablet, working OK with my COX email account. Have you double and triple checked your settings for incoming and outgoing emails? Can you send or receive, or neither?

username - xxxxxxxxxxx

p/w - xxxxxxxxx

POP3server - pop.cox.net

Port - 110

SMTP Server - smtp.cox.net

Port - 587

Security Type - NONE

Require Sign in box is checked.

Authentication method - CRAM-MD5

Username - xxxxxxxx
Password - xxxxxxx

HTH

OP
PW_Irvine

PW_Irvine

Reaction score
I have the same phone, and a Nexus 7 tablet, working OK with my COX email account. Have you double and triple checked your settings for incoming and outgoing emails? Can you send or receive, or neither?

username - xxxxxxxxxxx

p/w - xxxxxxxxx

POP3server - pop.cox.net

Port - 110

SMTP Server - smtp.cox.net

Port - 587

Security Type - NONE

Require Sign in box is checked.

Authentication method - CRAM-MD5

Username - xxxxxxxx
Password - xxxxxxx

HTH

Yes, I have triple checked my settings, several times! I can both send and receive email with no problems, PROVIDED that I force the sending and receiving by pressing the update mail button. Again, my problem is that my email client either will not automatically poll Cox's email servers or that when it attempts to do so, it is rejected. I've tried pop.cox.net, pop.west.cox.net, and pop.east.cox.net / smtp.cox.net, smtp.west.cox.net, and smtp.east.cox.net. I've also tried the specific settings recommended by Cox, Motorola, Verizon, as well as several others, including the settings that you have provided above. None work for the purpose of automatic polling. According to my research, many other Cox customers with Verizon Droid Razr Maxx HD phones have the same problem as I do. If you're not having problems (as I didn't at first), then you should count yourself lucky. Anyway, thank you very much for your detailed response.

24c

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
DROID TURBO
I've only had the phone 17 days, so I have not had any issues YET!

OP
PW_Irvine

PW_Irvine

Reaction score
Am now using K-9 Mail out of necessity. K-9 successfully polls the Cox email servers and automatically sends and receives my Cox email. Perhaps one day Motorola and Cox will work out their differences, but I'm not going to hold my breath. They would much rather play the blame game than to resolve a simple problem for the benefit of many of their mutual customers. As for Verizon, they couldn't care less about the subject problem. Small clique of phone manufacturers + even smaller clique of wireless communications providers = high prices + unbelievably crappy customer service.