Email Nightmare- Help

lyannea

Reaction score
I just did an update to my Droid 4 this morning.
After that, I took some pictures from my phone, opened my gmail account, attached the pictures, and sent them to another gmail account. No problem- I received them.

I did this again, 10 minutes later, and, there are no emails on the phone gmail accounts or on my home computer gmail accounts, or, anything indicating that I sent or received the email. I did this again, and, one hour later, nothing. I synched the gmail acounts and still nothing.

Prior to today, there were times that I would send an email (using gmail) from the phone and did not receive the response on my home computer, but, it was there on my cell phone. Other times, I would send an email, and it did not show up as being sent on my phone, but did on my home computer.
Please help- this last example was a time-sensitive email and this is not acceptable- I'm assuming that I'm doing something wrong- I can't tell you how many times I'm using the "synch" feature on this phone.

reybie

Reaction score
Check your gmail settings especially the synch options.

OP
L

lyannea

Reaction score
I check my email options daily, and the only way I can keep current with my emails on my Droid 4 is to log into the account EVERY time I want to see my most current emails, otherwise, if I just synch on the inbox screen, nothing happens, except that the time changes. If I go out of gmail and then back in, the previous time shows as the last time synched. So, for example, I synched at 8:30 today and then many times after that. If I go out of Gmail and back in, it still shows that 8:30 was the last time I synched.
The droid- which the salesman told me was a dinosaur when I bought the Droid 4, had no problems with email, gmail, synching, keeping current with emails. I may have to switch to an IPhone, eventhough I've only had this phone for 6 wks !

reybie

Reaction score
Hmm, do you have any data saving rules on your phone where it will only synch when connected to wi-fi? It's one of the culprits in synch problems, also with attachments. Do you use Smart Actions?

Pashgal

Reaction score
I am having a similar issue with syncing my gmail email..my gmail account is set to push thru and to update whether the wifi is on or off, but it only syncs about 25% of the time, even if i manually refresh it. I have all the settings so that I could find under accounts and settings to do this. The only thing i can think is that the backup assistant is screwing it up, which is new to me and came with this phone. I get two different icons for my gmail account when I get Gmail, and the email that shows up on one, won't show up on the other until up to a day later and its the same account. Really annoying! Any suggestions?

OP
L

lyannea

Reaction score
I got rid of smart actions, turned the phone off and then back on and it's better, by 80 percent. Now, I don't get the notification sound that I have an email, despite changing the settings. My advice with this Droid 4 (and I have no clue if this is right on or not) is that, if you make a change, turn your phone off and then back on. go figure.
I also get 2 sets of emails, both being the same, one is from gmail and the other from google- the same email. kind of annoying.
I'm so busy with moving, finding a new job, apt, ect. is there a phone that I could just turn on and works ?

Hikertrash

Reaction score
I wouldn't give up on the Droid 4 just yet..

Coming from a dumb phone to a Droid 4 and little clue how to set it up, my gmail works perfectly. On my laptop with Thunderbird I can send email from my aol account to gmail, watch it arrive seconds later, and a moment or two later, get notified on my Droid. I'll open the mail on the phone and the new mail note on the laptop dissappears. If I delete from the phone it does as well on my laptop.

AOL on the other hand, is set to sync on wifi only, and I need to refresh to get updated mail.