Email is wacky - Help

msjudyfoo

Reaction score
I have only had my Fascinate a couple of days. At first, I did get emails automatically but not as quickly as the 5 minute interval I have it set for. The second morning I had no emails at all. I went in and hit Refresh and they popped up. That is the only way I am getting emails. I have to Refresh the account. Verizon set up a gmail account and my 2 comcast accounts are supposedly pushed. Also, when I do get the emails by Refreshing, I don't get the email notification sound that I have set.

I had the same issue, but now it is fixed. Use the Gmail App instead of the standard eMail app. Go to Settings > Accounts & sync and under Managage accounts, make sure Gmail sync is on. Then, click on the Gmail icon and make sure "Sync Gmail" is checked.

The email comes in real time. Still slower than my computer inbox, but it comes :)

I have found that I cant use the gmail app for the purpose I need it to. I need to be able to send emails to groups and the Gmail App doesnt allow me to do that. I am now using the email app that allows me to send to groups. I still have problems attaching files to emails however. In fact, anytime I click attach and go to the folder in which the document is located, it says "no fiiles" despite the fact that there are several documents saved in that folder. I still havent been able to find a solution to that. I thought maybe it was the format that the document is saved as but I've tried different formats and different document viewers and nothing has helped.

Yeah, to send a group email, you would have to input each name separately which is inconvenient, but I personally would choose that over not getting email notifications. I had no issues attaching a file though..tried pictures & music.

normone

Reaction score
still no email

A few days later and my problem is worse instead of better. I have actually had Verizon replace the first Fascinate with a second Fascinate and the problem is exactly the same. I can only get emails by Refreshing which still only gives me day old emails. I have 8 emails on my computer this morning but even after refreshing, I only get emails for yesterday.
The issue is suspected to be the no-to-2bar signal I get in my home and many places around the area. Verizon says there is a known issue in my zip code with the Fascinate not getting a decent signal. The update to fix this is available but my signal is not strong enough to finish the download without crapping out before it finishes. So, I have to drive somewhere today where I can get a very strong signal to try to get the update loaded. I will let you know what that does once I have updated the phone.

normone

Reaction score
Still same problems after updating software

Finally found an area with strong enough signal to download the Verizon update. Absolutely no difference in signal strength or the ability to get emails. I sent 2 test emails, one to each of the comcast accounts that gmail is supposed to push. Did that at 9am and 18 minutes later one came through, 35 minutes later and the other still has not come through. Refreshing doesn't help. I don't want to give up on this phone but it really is unreliable in my city areas so far. During phone calls, when I bring the phone down to end the call I find I have to unlock it before I can reach the "end" call button. It has also locked up numerous times. I couldn't answer an incoming phone call because nothing on the screen was active. Thoughts on Droid X to replace this?

dricacho

Reaction score
I have a yahoo email account, integrated thru facebook, (which I've had way longer than gmail). I also have a gmail account. I've noticed that in yahoo the email app doesn't make a url a hyperlink within the body of the email. So I can't tap on it and directly go to that link. On gmail its fine. I also noticed that on both yahoo and gmail, it doesn't allow me to go into each folders within the mailbox. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
OP
C

caminator

Reaction score
I'm still having the same problem. I called VZW today and they tranferred me to a Samsung rep. The guy was a total idiot and started out by saying they don't support facebook (that's not pushing either) or the email as it isn't a gmail account. I said BS to that. Then he said that the phone is fine and it's my email that is causing the problem. I'm *along with my whole company) is getting emails just fine anywhere else, except for the Fascinate. Samsung was of NO help at all. I really do enjoy the phone, but I'm seriously considering sending it back because the #1 reason I have a smart phone is for the email functions. grrr.....very frustrating!

Flyers2111

Reaction score
i have the same problem with my comcast email, it doesn't update and then when it does and i delete an email I will get the same email like three more times. first time android user so new to this, but really missing my BB Storm due to email push. very interested in answers for this problem. thanks

OP
C

caminator

Reaction score
I just removed my account and re-added it (for the 4rd time) tonight. I noticed something different and wanted to know what everyone else is seeing. Until tonight, I have had a PINK bar on the left side of each email. After removing and re-adding it tonight, I now have an ORANGE bar. What color does everyone else have, and does anyone know if these different colors mean something?

hedgecat

Reaction score
I noticed this too - but I don't think the colors mean anything - it's just a way to distinguish the mail in one account from another if you're looking at the combined inbox and I think it just randomly assigns the color.

I think my Fascinate will be going back. I'm having all the same issues as everyone here and I think it's partially a problem of poor software coding, part poor antenna and part poor signal strength where I live. The phone just doesn't play well in areas where signal strength is weak or fluctuates.

normone

Reaction score
I too am about to give up and agree with Hedgecat. My phone is just not getting a strong signal for email or reliable web browsing. I liked my Blackberry for emails but nothing else. Tiny screen made web browsing a joke and didn't get fast connection ever. I was thinking about changing to the Droid X but if you go to that forum here, I see some of the same issues discussed. It seems that just about any Droid is going to be acting up due to the Verizon software problems.

normone

Reaction score
Verizon tech info about comcast

My latest chat with Verizon tech support has uncovered that Comcast is having email issues with ALL Droids, not just Fascinate. I am 12 days into my 30 day trial and he is checking to see if I can get an extension or something so we can see if any patches come through that will solve the problem. Didn't say why I am getting 0-2 bar signal and even when I am in an area with 4 bars -- it bounces back to 0-2 a lot. I guess one solution is to change my email address to gmail only -- what a pain that would be.

hedgecat

Reaction score
I hate to say it, normone, but I call a little bit of BS. I am using an msn account, a yahoo account and a private email address that is hosted on HostGator. NONE of them sync well and none of them check every 5 minutes as they should. I have to say, the phone's going back today. I need to get email as quickly as possible so I'm going back to my wonky BB Curve until I can figure out what other phone might play nice with the network and reliably deliver my email in a timely fashion.

If you don't have the cumulative network and other problems that I have, have you tried the Mail Droid app? It seemed a little better and did check every 5 minutes for mail, but only when I could get enough signal for it to do so. If it tries when the signal is weak, it basically says fugettabout it and you get nothing until you try to figure out why you're getting no mail.

normone

Reaction score
I do have multiple issues too and have spent the morning researching a replacement. I had BB Tour and it was useless for web browsing. Thinking about the BB Bold and 8 months from now another of my phones will be eligible for "new every two" and I can maybe find a Droid or Windows phone to switch to.

jcoveney

Reaction score
Before you return your phone, go download K9 which is a free email app.

Here's my experience...............

I had the Droid X and wanted to manage multiple POP accounts (comcast and go daddy). I didn't like the stock client so I tried the free K9 from the market and worked like a charm.

Last week, I switched out my Droid X for the Fascinate and decided to try the stock client. Fascinate's stock client is better than X's and functioned just like K9 for the first day or so. Then mail just kind of stopped coming. I has the stock client setup to get mail every ten minutes or so and just didn't work. It would sometimes work when I tried to get mail manually.

After reading that others has the same issue, just switched back to K9 on Fascinate and seems to be working like a charm. Just don't have time to troubleshoot stock client when I can e up and running with another client in 5 minutes.

animal11674

Reaction score
fascinate email problems

If you are using advanced task killer you need to open it up and un check emails. Every time you run this app it is killing your email settings. I had the same problem. If you have mulitple email accounts click on the email icon then click the icon on the bottom left of phone and click settins in the sub menu. This will open a window for that one account,each account has to be done seperately, make sure that email notification setting is not on never. This fixed my problem I set it at 5 minutes and it sends both accounts to me every 5 minutes now. WHATEVER YOU DO DON'T GO BACK TO BLACKBERRY STORM..I HATED ALL 4 OF MINE.

Last edited:

Sledhead

Reaction score
Fascinate email refresh/push problem

I had the same problem with the refreshing, or lack of. I have 3 email accounts on my Fascinate. One through Go Daddy, MSN (paid) & an exchange. I started with the factory email setup, and that was horrible. It virtually never refreshed on its own. I then looked to Verizon for some help and the salesperson set me up with the Maildroid app and that worked a little better but still wasn't refreshing or pushing like it should have been. I then took the advise of other forum members here who suggested the K9 email app and the problems are no more. The K9 email app works great! I'd strongly recommend K9 email to solve this problem. It worked perfectly for me. Now my Fascinate operates silky smooth.