email help

sbakewell1101

Reaction score
So i am using the stock user app that comes with phone (i have a tenedancy not to like to have things double ie email apps browser apps) neways.. I have the thing set to refresh every 15 minutes but when i am not directly in the app it does not look for email i have to be in the email app and click load more messages then it does it. i am using hotmail and yahoo email, first question is how to get this to work second does gmail come right away without having to refresh it? I really don't want to have to switch my emails...especially cause i try to use my gmail for any app related stuff and the emails from the email app for personal

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
So i am using the stock user app that comes with phone (i have a tenedancy not to like to have things double ie email apps browser apps) neways.. I have the thing set to refresh every 15 minutes but when i am not directly in the app it does not look for email i have to be in the email app and click load more messages then it does it. i am using hotmail and yahoo email, first question is how to get this to work second does gmail come right away without having to refresh it? I really don't want to have to switch my emails...especially cause i try to use my gmail for any app related stuff and the emails from the email app for personal

Not sure why it's not polling properly, but I do know that there have been problems with Yahoo. I thought they had been fixed, but I guess not. Might I recommend K-9? It's far superior to the stock app...

Yes, Gmail is push, so as soon as it shows up in your inbox, it shows up on your phone.

I'd try K-9 before I tried anything else, if I were in your shoes.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
You might want to double up in this case. The droid stock Email client is buggy. K9 doesn't have the bug you're talking about.

In addition, don't use an automated task killer and don't manually kill tasks/services.

Gmail does come in about a minute without refresh. It might not be possible to forward hotmail and yahoo to gmail.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, hotmail and yahoo are about the worst email services in the world. Don't get me started...

OP
S

sbakewell1101

Reaction score
email

thank u i do use a task killer but i just now unchecked email maybe that will help? i had k9 for two seco ds but it did poll either..ps what is the trackball? i have moto droid

Vitticeps

Reaction score
I use the stock app for both Hotmail and Yahoo mail as well. I don't have the same problem though. Both accounts update for me just fine.

Now deleting, marking read, etc. is another story.

But I'm stubborn too, I stick with the stock apps.

Bxrider117

Reaction score
If you google it, there is a way to have your hotmail and maybe your yahoo email get automatically forwarded to your gmail e-mail address. I would search "sync hotmail with gmail" and i am sure the instructions are there. That way the emails are being under one app and they are still listed as hotmail or yahoo emails.

Vitticeps

Reaction score
Yes, it's possible but I don't want it that way. I like my accounts separate. Separate notifications, separate notification sounds, can see at a glance in the notification bar what account has mail, etc. Even my two gmail accounts are kept separate.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
You should try uninstalling the task killer. I don't use one.

I highly recommend K9. Much better than stock email. On a related note, Dolphin HD is so much better than stock browser. You guys should give this stuff a try. You can always uninstall.

OP
S

sbakewell1101

Reaction score
email

i know that there are better apps out there just kinda one of those things. what is the big difference between browsers? i dont want to uninstall task killer i like having the control over my apps to the person who uses yahoo and hotmail do you have a task killer? i might have to go to verizon maybe cause it just is not polling

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
i know that there are better apps out there just kinda one of those things. what is the big difference between browsers? i dont want to uninstall task killer i like having the control over my apps to the person who uses yahoo and hotmail do you have a task killer? i might have to go to verizon maybe cause it just is not polling

One big difference in browser is the tabs. Just try it, why not?

Strongly recommend no task killer. I like controlling what's on my droid too but for most people an automated task killer causes problems and uses more resources than it's worth. You should try uninstalling it for a few days.

OP
S

sbakewell1101

Reaction score
email

hmm tabs i use the windows in the stock browser what about the email any other suggestions about not polling i am uninstalling the task killer.......................... for a few days anyways

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Windows in stock browser are ok but it is quicker to switch between and close things with tabs. Oh, another thing is that dolphin hd and other alternative browsers let you change your user agent to desktop so you can access non-mobile sites.

As far as email, here's what I think you should do:
- uninstall any and all automated task killers, service killers, or startup item killers
- reboot
- don't manually kill any tasks/services
- install k9
- if using POP3, make sure k9 is set to poll at some interval, like 10 minutes

Have you turned off background data and syncing under phone settings > accounts & sync? You should probably keep those ON.

Vitticeps

Reaction score

I don't have any task killers installed. I had ATK but it seemed to be more trouble than it was worth. You can always kill a task manually in menu>settings>applications>manage applications if you really need to kill one but that's rare.

I do have 2 other browsers installed, Dolphin HD and Skyfire. Honestly Dolphin HD is nice but it's laggy and buggy, still in beta. Skyfire is kinda cool too but again, laggy. The stock browser does everything I really need and is much faster at it in my experience. It just doesn't have all the bells and whistles that I hardly use anyway. I'll probably ditch Dolphin HD until it gets a little more mature. I'll keep skyfire for now just so I have a broswer that I can change the user agent to Desktop for sites I don't want to see the mobile version of.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I use dolphin hd but haven't noticed any bugs. There was an update the other day. Wrong thread here, but what bugs were you seeing?

Vitticeps

Reaction score
One of the more annoying ones is that on some text entry fields the default text (like "username" or "password" or "email") doesn't auto-delete when you click on the field like most other browsers. Not only that but sometimes the password field will not let me manually delete the ******* that's there by default. I can delete about half of it then it stops. I have to click off the field and back on several times to get it to work. Again, not every time but often enough to get annoying.

Also, when a page is visually fully loaded but is still showing as loading due to background crap going on, if you hit stop it clears the page and leaves you with a blank screen. You have to reload and wait again.

There have been other little things but I don't remember them all right now. I should probably be keeping notes to submit but I'm usually trying to actually do something and end up switching browsers to get it done.