1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Email Help Needed!

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid' started by Greg, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Greg

Greg New Member

Can anyone please help?

My email has been working great til now. I've done nothing new and I have added new apps lately.

I can receive email, but not reply or send out. Can anyone tell me why? I see nothing out of the norm with my settings.

Also a new problems is, when trying to receive a download attached to an instant message. It tries to download (drains my battery quickly!) but never downloads. And I get an error message, saying the DL was incomplete.

I don't understand why this is happening after 1.5 years of usage. I've never touched my email setting at all.

PLEASE HELP!!!!
  2. takeshi

takeshi New Member

Which email app? What type of email account? It's important to include these details as we're not all identically set up.

Have you contacted your email provider to see if they've changed anything? It's possible that they may now require authentication to use their SMTP server (if relevant to you) or something along those lines.
  3. Greg

Greg New Member

Both email and messenging are stock apps.
  4. Greg

Greg New Member

I will check with my provider, but that still wouldn't affect my messenging would it? Also..... there have been no probs with my email on my home computers, so I'm assuming there have been no changes.
  5. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Messaging works off the phone. Email comes in via data.

Now do you have your email configured to gmail? If not then go to your gmail account on line, go into the settings and set up your email accounts to go through there. You'll only need the gmail app then and you won't have to use the stock email app.

It's a Google phone, try to utilize gmail, Google Calendar, etc. as much as possible.
  6. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad

Back when I used the native email app for my pop3 accounts I had this happen occasionally and the only solution I found was to delete account and add it back in.

Here's ultimate solution though (I wrote this for a battery saving thread and don't feel like rewriting it) :

Emails: I don't know what email app you use, but try this. It saves battery power and in some cases emails arrive quicker. This scheme will have you using only the Gmail app on the phone for all email accounts whether they are pop3 accounts or Gmail. Go to the Google Gmail inbox on your computer and log into the Gmail account. On the top right of the screen is an option called Settings. In there is an option to have the Gmail program poll your regular, non-Gmail accounts (From the inbox; Settings/Accounts & Import/ Check mail using POP3). Provide the email address and the password. The Google Gmail program will then poll your other accounts on a frequency from 1-5 minutes and push the email immediately to your phone. The polling frequency is determined by each account's activity - more emails = faster polling. This saves battery power because on the android OS pop3 accounts are polled at a frequency of 1-30 minutes and that really eats battery. Because the phone goes and checks those accounts for mail whether there is mail there or not.
  7. Greg

Greg New Member

Great. I'm off to work now, but will try this asap. Thanks to all of you!
  8. Greg

Greg New Member

Thanks. That worked! Seems like it doesn't check the mail very often. Will have to play with the settings. Guess I've been getting used to the stock apps the last 1.5 years.
  9. Greg

Greg New Member

How do I get gmail to push my email to my phone more often?

I also still need to figure out why my stock messenging won't download attachments. Any ideas on any of this?
  10. Greg

Greg New Member

Got it working now via gmail. Thanks!

How do I get gmail to push my email to my phone more often?

I also still need to figure out why my stock messenging won't download attachments. Any ideas on any of this?
  11. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad

When I set this up on my phone last summer, I read in the Google info that the polling was determined by the account activity. If an account has a lot of traffic it will be polled more frequently. The less traffic, the slower the polling. My main pop3 account (business and family) gets 100-200 emails a day and it's polling frequency seems to be in the 30sec - 1 minute range. It seems that I get emails on my phone almost immediately from that account. I have another pop3 account that only gets a few emails per week. I've tested it and it seems that I get those emails in 15-30 minutes. That one's a little odd because back when I first did this, I was getting these emails in 5-10 minutes. I have not found that you can control the polling frequency. I do know that once an email hits the Google server, it gets pushed to your phone practically immediately.

On the messaging app, try one of the more popular messaging apps from the market. Handcent seems to be the most popular one.

Good luck.
  12. Greg

Greg New Member

I've tried Handcent, and it doesn't download attachments either. It tries but never completes.
Search tags for this page

droid doesnt downloac emails

droid phone won't receive email after new download

email wont load droid incredible 2

samsung charge won't download email