email failure

jlghertner

Reaction score
I tried to add this thread earlier but must have done something wrong. I am on my second droid because the only way I could download email was to reset by pulling the battery.
Now my second droid is doing the same thing. I have added no apps, only my contacts and my calendar.

I use verizon.net for my email and have a gmail acct. to link to my computer.

any suggestions? 5 different tech people, who I had to go through before they would replace my phone, were no help and were feeding a lot of ____, but didn't seem to know much about this system.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
here is my droid tips manifesto

Stock email app: works fine for about a week then stops fetching (pop3, don't know about IMAP). Solution: delete accounts in stock app and redo once/week.

Gmail app: eventually stops syncing/connection problems, possibly due to sending attachments. Solution: go to Settings > Applications > Manage applications > menu > Filter > All > Gmail Storage > Clear data

"Gmail Notifier" in the market takes care of gmail not notifying you for every email.

Reboot every 3 days if people you call are sometimes complaining about echoing/muffled/garbled voice. You won't get these complaints if you use bluetooth/speakerphone a lot. If you do get a call where someone complains, toggle the speakerphone on and off. Also, make sure you are speaking into the mic.

All of these bugs have been reported. Verizon/motorola/google should be ashamed of all this fundamental stuff that's broken, but at least there are workarounds, right? I still love my droid & it still kicks iphone butt. And we're bound to get 2.1 any day...

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I assume you've checked the obvious stuff like checking the poll frequency in the email app and turning on sync for your gmail account.

OP
J

jlghertner

Reaction score
Stock email app: works fine for about a week then stops fetching (pop3, don't know about IMAP). Solution: delete accounts in stock app and redo once/week.

i did that with the first droid and it lasted for only hours before i had to do the battery again. I left BB for a lot of problems with hardware and software. I was hoping for more here> I love this thing when it works but it is just too unreliable to be a serious business machine.

what to do?

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
A) I would recommend using IMAP if possible. Does your non-gmail account support it?

B) Have you tried the k9 email client in the market? The devs are constantly working on it. Perhaps one of the newer builds will fix things for you:

Downloads - k9mail - Project Hosting on Google Code

C) Have gmail check your verizon.net account. Alternatively, you could forward your external account to gmail. Then you would just have to remember to clear your gmail storage every week or so.

Well, in the end you might decide that the phone isn't quite ready. Personally, I'm hoping that the 2.1 update will fix all of this "soon".

Does anyone else have any other ideas on how to reliably get pop email on the droid?

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
OP
J

jlghertner

Reaction score
Here is follow up to my email problem of the native email program intermittantly not functioning (POP3 with verizon.net).

After 9 verizon technicians and 3 Motorola technicians, I was sent my third droid by Motorola. I was on the phone with level 3 at Motorola and Verizon together. then I was instructed to reprogram the incoming and outgoing email to go through the gmail servers I think.

This, of course, didn't work either, so I still have intermittant email failures. K9 does work much better and opens all files, which the native email program does not.

both Companies said the new program may help. I have downloaded 2.1 and it is no better. In fact, 2.1 doesn't seem to do anything. the screen looks the same except the function of the photo gallery. the screen looks the same, not as described on this forum. In fact, once all the icons that I set were gone. The next day I had overlapping icons. (About phone on settings does say 2.1.)

This is a beautiful piece of equipment, when it works which is not enough as I run several businesses with it. I await a CDMA iphone I am afraid to say.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I had constant problems with the stock email - I haven't used it in months opting for K-9 which works great.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Here is follow up to my email problem of the native email program intermittantly not functioning (POP3 with verizon.net).

After 9 verizon technicians and 3 Motorola technicians, I was sent my third droid by Motorola. I was on the phone with level 3 at Motorola and Verizon together. then I was instructed to reprogram the incoming and outgoing email to go through the gmail servers I think.

This, of course, didn't work either, so I still have intermittant email failures. K9 does work much better and opens all files, which the native email program does not.

both Companies said the new program may help. I have downloaded 2.1 and it is no better. In fact, 2.1 doesn't seem to do anything. the screen looks the same except the function of the photo gallery. the screen looks the same, not as described on this forum. In fact, once all the icons that I set were gone. The next day I had overlapping icons. (About phone on settings does say 2.1.)

This is a beautiful piece of equipment, when it works which is not enough as I run several businesses with it. I await a CDMA iphone I am afraid to say.

Friend, I can certainly understand your frustration. But after having the same problems with three different droids and after discovering that your problem is (to say the least) not widespread, I think you'd have to agree it's something about your particular configuration, not your phone and not the software you're working with that is at fault.

It is almost certainly the case that forwarding email from the servers you use to the gmail server will go a long way (I strongly suspect) toward resolving your problems as VZW recommended. The default email client that comes with the Droid is admittedly not very robust. (And that's being kind.) On the other hand, the gmail server software is capable of handling just about anything you throw at it (within the limits clearly stated on the website.)

Once you've configured your gmail account (on the website) to successfully accept email from the servers you're dealing with (and hopefully none of them are Yahoo!) you should have no problem using either the default gmail app client or K-9 (pointed at gmail, not the servers that feed it) on your Droid to deal with the incoming email. And because gmail is a "push" protocol with your Droid, you should be able to avoid "polling" of any kind.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
No one should use the stock "Email" app. There are several outstanding bugs on google code that make the stock app unusable. Use k9 from the market or the Gmail app.

In this case it sounds like k9 has solved your email problems or did I miss something?