Email doesnt update with online inbox

VladDracule

Reaction score
Hey all im having a problem where when i delete messages from me inbox on my computer, its not updating these deletes on my droid X. The email i deleted just stays there, days at a time and after i hit refresh...any fix to this?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hey all im having a problem where when i delete messages from me inbox on my computer, its not updating these deletes on my droid X. The email i deleted just stays there, days at a time and after i hit refresh...any fix to this?

Well I hate to ask something so basic, but when you delete on your computer are you sure it is deleting them on your email's server? Because if you are using the stock email app, it will not remove them as long as they are still on the server.

Also, is your phone's email app retrieving emails?

OP
V

VladDracule

Reaction score
i would presume so. Im deleting when logged into gmail.com and comcast.net i checked the trash folder on comcast because if it was there it is still on the server which is something i did not think about. i am using the stock email app. im not sure what you mean when you ask if my phones email app is retrieving emails?

Sorry im very computer literate just not very android literate

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i would presume so. Im deleting when logged into gmail.com and comcast.net i checked the trash folder on comcast because if it was there it is still on the server which is something i did not think about. i am using the stock email app. im not sure what you mean when you ask if my phones email app is retrieving emails?

Sorry im very computer literate just not very android literate

Just was wondering if your phone was actually still receiving emails.

I no longer use the native email app, but when I did, it would remove an email from my phone when the email was removed from the server's inbox. If that isn't happening for you, I would try going to Manage Applications/All/Email/ and clear cache and clear data. This will delete your account info and you'll have to re-enter that info, but it may straighten the app out for you. Perhaps then it will operate as it should.

Good luck.

OP
V

VladDracule

Reaction score
I tried deleting the data but it didn't remove the account as you mentioned it would.there was no cache to clear according to the manager. This is actually.the second phone I've had do this. I had to exchange one.droid x due some defective hardware

AngryHatter

Reaction score
Just for giggles, try K9 or MailDroid.
MailDroid has options - When I delete on the phone delete on the server et cetera.
I think K9 does as well.

superglen99

Reaction score
There is an option in the stock email app srttings to sync with the server so both accounts match up on the pc and phone.

village

Reaction score
In the discussion above, by stock email app, do you mean stock android email app or stock gmail email app?

I am having this problem using the stock gmail email app. I believe it worked some months ago, but it quit working with one of the updates. Does that make sense?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
In the discussion above, by stock email app, do you mean stock android email app or stock gmail email app?

I am having this problem using the stock gmail email app. I believe it worked some months ago, but it quit working with one of the updates. Does that make sense?

If you have the settings setup properly, all should have to do is (from one of the home screens):

Menu/Settings/Applications/Manage Applications/All/Gmail/Clear Cache and Clear Data. It will take a few minutes for the app to regain it's composure, but it should work then.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
i would presume so. Im deleting when logged into gmail.com and comcast.net
So which account does this happen with? How is the account set up? Details are very important as they're the only thing we have to go on. I suspect that Comcast's account is POP. POP accounts don't sync. It's a POP limitation.

Your gmail account should definitely sync though.

village

Reaction score
OK -- now for the ultimate weirdness. It works and here's what I did.
1. disabled priority inbox on the droid
2. I archived a non-priority message on my desktop computer, which is set up for priority inbox

Honestly, I believe it was the change from priority inbox to normal inbox. I'll re-enable priority inbox on my droid and post back on the results... how odd...

village

Reaction score
Still not working correctly, so I cleared cache and data on my droid x. Is there any way to reset the google account and password without doing a factory reset?

village

Reaction score
This *may* be solved. I did not do a factory reset. My friend read another idea to try. So here's what I believe did the trick.

1. Menu/Settings/Applications/Manage Applications/All/Gmail/Clear Cache and Clear Data
2. Menu/Settings/Accounts/gmail account/ disable all sync
3. reboot the droid x
4. Menu/Settings/Accounts/gmail account/ enable sync on what you use (I sync contacts, gmail, and calendar)

After these steps, i tried refreshing the droid x after archiving some messages on my desktop, and the changes did not refresh on the droid x. I sent an email from the droid x, and when I hit send, the droid x refreshed. After sending the email from the droid x, manual refresh seems to work on the droid x sometimes (maybe google listens to refresh requests based on a countdown timer?). But, so far, every time I send an email from the droid x, my inbox is refreshed.

Thanks for all your help. I hope I'm done with this for good... ;-)