Email...Do you have to leave it open?

budhisetiawan

Reaction score
Do you have to leave your Email open to get the notifications?

What i mean is do I have to leave the connection on...I am runing "task killer" and it seems like the only way i can recieve notifications or emails is if i put my email in the "ignore list"

If i do this then it locks up my email it seems and conflicts w/ outlook sometimes trying to check my email on my laptop.

I have my pop3 acount (Imap on droid - charter account) setup in the "email" widget.

Setting are usual i believe checking every 5 minutes and such. If i dont put it on the ignore list then i dont get emails.

Do i have something wrong?

Thanks!
Bud

OP
B

budhisetiawan

Reaction score
now thats a first!...

Like everyone i have seen says to use a taskkiller app!

Are you just stating to put it on the ignore list? That the Email must be left open and Outlook will continue to struggle?

smd12

Reaction score
make sure gtalkservice is running in "running apps" i learned the hard way. if your task killer kills that you won't get emails

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Smd12's advice is good, but consider this...

A task killer 1) can cause strange things to happen like not getting email and 2) it runs periodically to kill idle tasks. Think about that. You have some tasks that are idle/sleeping/not really using resources, then task killer runs and kills those idle tasks so now those tasks have to start up again, which uses resources. It's an endless cycle and I don't see the point. Android has a built in system to close apps when resources are needed. That being said, I sometimes use astro process viewer to see what's running and kill things manually if I feel like it, but even that isn't necessary. I would say that rebooting every few days and staying away from market apps that run in the background for no good reason is the best strategy.

Stay away from antivirus too.

So, these people telling you that you need a task killer: did they work in a verizon store? :)

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
now thats a first!...

Like everyone i have seen says to use a taskkiller app!

Are you just stating to put it on the ignore list? That the Email must be left open and Outlook will continue to struggle?

I use Exchange (Corporate) and Gmail (K9) and receive notifications constantly. I've never used a task killer. I've never seen a need.

Mike

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Using a task killer is personal preference. There's a huge thread here that talks about why you don't NEED to use one. If you don't exclude your email/gmail app from the task killer, it was close out email notifications in your notification bar every time you hit "kill all".

OP
B

budhisetiawan

Reaction score
no...not VZ rep....they rarely give good advise in my experience....lol...no offense if any here...key word is RARELY!

I saw it on posts preplanning when my droid was on the way...like u know the "must have apps" and such...

w/o it though...it locks up my email account...i cant check my email while at home!

I dont hit kill all or anything....it just is running and i believe closes stuff when my screen goes blank...I think?

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
w/o it though...it locks up my email account...i cant check my email while at home!

If you don't use the task killer you don't get email? Usually it's the other way around. Well, if it works for you then that's great. Keep on truckin'! :smile:

OP
B

budhisetiawan

Reaction score
no no....i dont get it at home (on pc)....because the phone keeps the line open

all night i got no emails....but at home i got like 12....

OP
B

budhisetiawan

Reaction score
No...I don't want. To forward

Using outlook to check my charter....ibnever use my gmail