Email Attachments

JNLemons

Reaction score
I am unable to open any attachments that are documents from my DINC. I searched for this same problem and did come across two other posts about it but no response to either one. i am just hoping that since they are old posts they had been forgotten. anyhow if anyone has any tips that would be great.

ezrider55

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG V30
Works for me

I sent an email from my DI with an attachment to my computer. I opened it and the attachment with outlook express on my computer. Was this your problem ?

OP
J

JNLemons

Reaction score
I sent an email from my DI with an attachment to my computer. I opened it and the attachment with outlook express on my computer. Was this your problem ?
no. sorry I wasnt very clear. Emails i recieve on my DI with attachments i am not able to view them on my DI.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
no. sorry I wasnt very clear. Emails i recieve on my DI with attachments i am not able to view them on my DI.

What email program are you using? What type of attachments are we talking about?

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
If you're using the regular e-mail program on the phone, you should see an arrow next to the attachments. Click the arrown and it will download the attachment to the phone. Then, click the paperclip and you should get the option to either view it, save to the SD card or save to phone memory.

Is that helping what you're looking for?

ezrider55

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG V30
jkhonea

Must have helped. Why dont people report back so that others know something is a solution. Maybe we need a sticky requesting responses.:yr1:

OP
J

JNLemons

Reaction score
If you're using the regular e-mail program on the phone, you should see an arrow next to the attachments. Click the arrown and it will download the attachment to the phone. Then, click the paperclip and you should get the option to either view it, save to the SD card or save to phone memory.

Is that helping what you're looking for?
i am using gmail. and im not sure exactly what attachments is wont let me see. It was a document last time and i havnt had much time to troubleshoot the issue. there is a paperclip in the email but when i click on it nothing happens. its like it knows there is an attachment but wont allow me to open it. also @ ezrider55 not all of us have time to go on forums everyday and check for responses. seeing as it has only been two days i think your comment may have been a bit premature.

ezrider55

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG V30
Jnlemmons

Sorry if it seemed I was talking about you. I should of started a new thread instad of putting coment in this one.:icon_ banned:

[email protected]

Reaction score
I have an HTC Android Incredible, and have been playing around with mail attachments. If I send myself an email with attachment (doc/xls) from my laptop to one of the email addresses that I have on the phone, the attachment (regardless of file type) gets converted from the file type I send to winmail.dat format on the phone. However, if my daughter sends me an email from her laptop (her email addresses use the same mail server as mine do) I get the files the way that they should be. Why can't I email myself an attachment without the phone changing the attachment file to winmail.dat?
Any help would be appreciated!!

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome! My sense is that the problem is your computer and not the phone. Typically, the winmail.dat is generated from Outlook Express, I think. What email client are you using on your computer? Is your daughter using the same client?

Mike

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Outlook will gen the winmail.dat file as well. I've been away from it for awhile so I do not recall the settings but see if you can compare the extensions with your computer and your daughters.

opcruzer

Reaction score
I am in the same boat, I can send the same attachments from the same email in outlook 2010 to my gmail account (setup just for my phone), and my normal work email and the gmail attachments come through fine and the work email ones come through as a winmail.dat file.

Given that this is a work phone and my co-workers have droids as well we would like the attachments to work (whether it be a picture, pdf, excel file or word document).

Any help???