1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Email Attachments

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions & Site Assistance' started by dshattuck@comcast.net, Mar 29, 2011.

1. dshattuck@comcast.net

dshattuck@comcast.net New Member

I have an HTC Android Incredible, and have been playing around with mail attachments. If I send myself an email with attachment (doc/xls) from my laptop to one of the email addresses that I have on the phone, the attachment (regardless of file type) gets converted from the file type I send to winmail.dat format on the phone. However, if my daughter sends me an email from her laptop (her email addresses use the same mail server as mine do) I get the files the way that they should be. Why can't I email myself an attachment without the phone changing the attachment file to winmail.dat?
    Any help would be appreciated!!
  2. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Welcome! My sense is that the problem is your computer and not the phone. Typically, the winmail.dat is generated from Outlook Express, I think. What email client are you using on your computer? Is your daughter using the same client?

Mike
  3. dshattuck@comcast.net

dshattuck@comcast.net New Member

I use Outlook 2003. my daughter and I have identical laptops and Office programs
  4. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Outlook will gen the winmail.dat file as well. I've been away from it for awhile so I do not recall the settings but see if you can compare the extensions with your computer and your daughters.
  5. opcruzer

opcruzer New Member

I am in the same boat, I can send the same attachments from the same email in outlook 2010 to my gmail account (setup just for my phone), and my normal work email and the gmail attachments come through fine and the work email ones come through as a winmail.dat file.

Given that this is a work phone and my co-workers have droids as well we would like the attachments to work (whether it be a picture, pdf, excel file or word document).

Any help???
Search tags for this page
email attachment send by samsung s3 corrupted
extract .dat files on galaxy s4
galaxy 3 is recieving word documents as winmail
galaxy 3 receives pdf as dat

galaxy word document comes with .dat

how can i open winmail on android s3
how do i forward attachments on my galaxy 3
receiving gs3 email attachments as winmail.dat files
samsung galaxy s4 converting received files to windat
sending email from outlook to gmail attachments come through