Email apps not pulling up browser when selecting links in emails

dawnlauryn

Reaction score
Hi everyone, my Email apps (both pop3 and gmail) just stopped pulling up a browser when selecting links in emails. Since its consistent across all email applications it seems the problem is either with one of my browser or os settings. Obviously my os is Droid (honeycomb) and I have chrome and yahoo browser apps. Any ideas how to fix?

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
I'm trying to think what ur Xoom is doing, I'm using mine now. When ur clicking on that web link in ur email, is it force closing? Does it not open? What does it do? In application settings, do u have Unknown sources checked?

manolo2111

Reaction score
I have the same problem

Hi everyone, my Email apps (both pop3 and gmail) just stopped pulling up a browser when selecting links in emails. Since its consistent across all email applications it seems the problem is either with one of my browser or os settings. Obviously my os is Droid (honeycomb) and I have chrome and yahoo browser apps. Any ideas how to fix?
I have the same problem.When I bought my Xoom, the Android version was 3.0, later I installed 3.1, 3.2 and 3.2.1.I tried to reboot, remove all browers but I have the problem yet.Now I only have installed the starndard browser, but some times, when I click in some link on email or in some app, not always open the browser.Anyone with the same problem? Anyone with the solution :DThanks in advance.

AznGothic

Reaction score
I purchased my Motorola Xoom with Honeycomb 3.2.2 already installed. This is the new 4G model (not the 3G that can be upgraded to 4G). Everything use to work fine but now I am experiencing problems where clicking items do not automatically open the associated app. This is not limited to the email/web browser although that also doesn't work. Again, everything use to work. I have not gone through any system updates. To clarify, its when I click an item in one app that should open another app. For instance, clicking a link in your email should open your browser. Clicking a video in your gallery should open the video player. If you have more then one app installed that handles this, it should dim your screen and show a pop up window asking which app you would like to handle the request. For browsing, I have both the stock browser and Dolphin browser. When I click a link in my email, it dims the screen as if it is going to ask me which browser I would like it to use, but doesn't show a pop up window with the options. It just sits there with a dimmed screen.

For videos, I have MX video player installed. I don't know much about the Honeycomb OS so I have no clue what the stock video player is, if it even has one...as I'm sure it does, but have not yet been able to find it (I found two video apps that came preinstalled, one called video and the other called movie studio. Neither of them will play any of my video files but this is a different topic.) Because I could not figure out if or how to use the stock video player, I installed MX video player (I love that player on my Samsung Fascinate Froyo 2.2.2). Now when I click a video file in my gallery, it should either open up a video player or dim the screen to show a window offering my choices of apps. It dims the screen, but no window pops up. If I manually open MX player and browse to my video file, it plays just fine. If I manually open up the stock Video app (assuming this is the stock video player) I can click the video file but it just dims the screen as if its going to offer me a choice of apps to open with but never shows any window with choices nor does it play the video file.

I have this problem with other things as well but these two are the most notable. Nothing force closes when this happens. Simply clicking on the screen again goes back to full brightness and allows me to use what ever app I was in again. I do not have "unknown sources" checked but I have tried clicking links with it checked and unchecked. It does not make a difference to the outcome. I have also tried uninstalling MX video player thinking perhaps Honeycomb was having an issue with pulling up non-stock apps as an option but this did not change anything either. I will try uninstalling Dolphin and see if the links in my gmail work and post the outcome. I hope this info is detailed and accurate enough to answer any questions anyone might have but feel free to ask any questions you do have. Obviously, I have not been able to figure out what is causing this type of behavior yet.

EDIT: I've also tried rebooting both ways and it changes nothing. (Both normal shut down and holding volume up with power button for soft reset)

AznGothic

Reaction score
Well after typing that loooooooooooooong post I found the answer on another forum....Apparently its a bug in the app selector. When you click a link and the screen dims but doesn't show the selection window, just rotate your display. This refreshes the screen to show the app selector. After doing this once I didn't have to do it again for any future app selector screens. The app selector now shows every time I click something. I think its a safe assumption that this is only a temporary fix. With given time or a reboot, you will probably experience the dimmed screen with no app selector again. At which point, just rotate your screen and it will work fine again. Credit goes to xoomforums.com (where I found this solution.)

EDIT: They've also stated on those forums that if you have an app specified as the default app (for instance if you have more than one browser installed, make one of them the default) you never run into this bug since the bug only affects the app selector and does not affect actually opening an app. So either have only one app that handles the function or set one as a default.

Last edited:

biggusjimmus

Reaction score
Thank you

Registered just to say thanks for posting your solution!

I spent WAY too much time trying to figure that out before I found this post

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
this thread is an interesting read.. my xoom didnt have this problem but i guess i wouldnt notice if it did.