Email app?

boomerang

Reaction score
I don't like Kb mail or the stock app. Any other suggestions?

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Here is a writeup I did for a Battery Saving thread. It offers you another option (I've been doing this for 7-8 months now):

[FONT=&quot]Emails: I don't know what email app you use, but try this. It saves battery power and in some cases emails arrive quicker. This scheme will have you using only the Gmail app on the phone for all email accounts whether they are pop3 accounts or Gmail. Go to the Google Gmail inbox on your computer and log into the Gmail account. On the top right of the screen is an option called Settings. In there is an option to have the Gmail program poll your regular, non-Gmail accounts (From the inbox; Settings/Accounts & Import/ Check mail using POP3). Provide the email address and the password. The Google Gmail program will then poll your other accounts on a frequency from 1-5 minutes and push the email immediately to your phone. The polling frequency is determined by each account's activity - more emails = faster polling. This saves battery power because on the android OS pop3 accounts are polled at a frequency of 1-30 minutes and that really eats battery. Because the phone goes and checks those accounts for mail whether there is mail there or not.[/FONT]

OP
B

boomerang

Reaction score
Thanks! So this is diff than having a hotmail account emails forwarded to gmail? I was not getting my emails with the two accounts linked.

dirty6

Reaction score
...Emails: I don't know what email app you use, but try this. It saves battery power and in some cases emails arrive quicker. This scheme will have you using only the Gmail app on the phone for all email accounts whether they are pop3 accounts or Gmail...

To tie into a previous conversation I saw on this forum, note that this will NOT work with AKO (US Army) email/webmail. Because this technique involves storing your AKO credentials on Google's GMail servers, AKO won't allow your GMail account to act as a POP or IMAP 'web-client.'

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thanks! So this is diff than having a hotmail account emails forwarded to gmail? I was not getting my emails with the two accounts linked.

Not sure if there is any difference. If you can forward and leave a copy on the server, then there may not be a difference.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
...Emails: I don't know what email app you use, but try this. It saves battery power and in some cases emails arrive quicker. This scheme will have you using only the Gmail app on the phone for all email accounts whether they are pop3 accounts or Gmail...
To tie into a previous conversation I saw on this forum, note that this will NOT work with AKO (US Army) email/webmail. Because this technique involves storing your AKO credentials on Google's GMail servers, AKO won't allow your GMail account to act as a POP or IMAP 'web-client.'

Yes, it will not "universally" work for everyone. My daughter's .edu account would not work.

dirty6

Reaction score
Yes, there's a difference...what this thread is suggesting is using GMail's ability to actually go and get your email...imagine that your gmail has a basic 'outlook' built right into it, so it can go to the email server you tell it to and grab your emails for you.

That's different than telling hotmail to send your stuff to Gmail.

madonnell

Reaction score
Alternative - k9mail

If you want to try a totally different mail program, try k9mail. I used the stock mail program for a couple of months, then tried k9. Not that it does anything radically different, but I like it better.