Email.apk Without Exchange Security

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Tvo14, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Tvo14

Tvo14 Member

Ratings:
    +0
  2. SirHenryXI

SirHenryXI New Member

Ratings:
    +0
  3. Tvo14

Tvo14 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks but it fails on me like all the other email APK's I have tried. I have a rooted Samsung Fascinate with Froyo. Do I need to get rid of the old Email first? If so, how do I remove it?

4. SirHenryXI

SirHenryXI New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You should be able to navigate with root explorer to /system/app/ (or similar) and find and delete the email.apk. (note: you'll have to mount R/W, just hit the gray box at the top, in root explorer to delete the apk) Then install the new .apk.

This worked for me on my moto droid. I do not have a Fascinate to try this with though. :(

5. Tvo14

Tvo14 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I give up. I can't delete email.apk
    I used Root Explorer, Super Manager. Super manager says it deletes it and it comes back.
    Root Explorer shows the files in the path and grey little box just says Remount as R/O so I assume its already in R/W mode. I'm a bit of newb with phones but pretty technical but for the life of me cant figure this out

6. SirHenryXI

SirHenryXI New Member

Ratings:
    +0

Sorry I couldn't be of anymore help, that's the only way I know of. :/ I'm sure there's a way to delete it using ADB. Although I personally don't know how to do it. :(

Sorry man!

7. Phatdaddyz01

Phatdaddyz01 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Search for Enhanced Email on the market. Its the updated version of that app. You'll have to
    Pay for it though, but it should install for you with no problems & you don't have to delete the stock email app.

8. raidzero

raidzero n00b.
    Theme Developer Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +3
    I can provide simple instructions for deleting all the exchange policy stuff from the APK's java code itself - via smali if you don't want to do it in java source... should work with any phone or ROM, since we will be working with the email.apk from your device. basic overview: just pull the file with adb, baksmali the classes.dex, basically nullify two methods in SecurityPolicy.java (remove all code in the methods and just return true or false - trick the device into thinking policy has been applied) then smali, reinsert into apk, reboot to recovery, push email.apk back onto system and that's it.

ORIGINAL SecurityPolicy.java (from 2.3.3_r1a): http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=pl...a;hb=4ff77b1e4f746aec45a7857ae3bd770173281bfa

DETAILS: the methods we want to nullify are called IsActive, and IsActiveAdmin...

IsActive:
    Code:
    .method public isActive(Lcom/android/email/SecurityPolicy$PolicySet;)Z
        .registers 9
        .parameter "policies"

.prologue
        const/4 v6, 0x1

const/4 v5, 0x0

.line 216
        if-nez p1, :cond_8

.line 217
        invoke-virtual {p0}, Lcom/android/email/SecurityPolicy;->getAggregatePolicy()Lcom/android/email/SecurityPolicy$PolicySet;

move-result-object p1

.line 220
        :cond_8
        sget-object v1, Lcom/android/email/SecurityPolicy;->NO_POLICY_SET:Lcom/android/email/SecurityPolicy$PolicySet;

if-ne p1, v1, :cond_e

move v1, v6

.line 252
        :goto_d
        return v1

.line 223
        :cond_e
        invoke-direct {p0}, Lcom/android/email/SecurityPolicy;->getDPM()Landroid/app/admin/DevicePolicyManager;

move-result-object v0

.line 224
        .local v0, dpm:Landroid/app/admin/DevicePolicyManager;
        iget-object v1, p0, Lcom/android/email/SecurityPolicy;->mAdminName:Landroid/content/ComponentName;

invoke-virtual {v0, v1}, Landroid/app/admin/DevicePolicyManager;->isAdminActive(Landroid/content/ComponentName;)Z

move-result v1

if-eqz v1, :cond_5b

.line 226
        iget v1, p1, Lcom/android/email/SecurityPolicy$PolicySet;->mMinPasswordLength:I

if-lez v1, :cond_2a

.line 227
        iget-object v1, p0, Lcom/android/email/SecurityPolicy;->mAdminName:Landroid/content/ComponentName;

invoke-virtual {v0, v1}, Landroid/app/admin/DevicePolicyManager;->getPasswordMinimumLength(Landroid/content/ComponentName;)I

move-result v1

iget v2, p1, Lcom/android/email/SecurityPolicy$PolicySet;->mMinPasswordLength:I

if-ge v1, v2, :cond_2a

move v1, v5

.line 228
        goto :goto_d

.line 231
        :cond_2a
        iget v1, p1, Lcom/android/email/SecurityPolicy$PolicySet;->mPasswordMode:I

if-lez v1, :cond_44

.line 232

invoke-virtual {v0, v1}, Landroid/app/admin/DevicePolicyManager;->getPasswordQuality(Landroid/content/ComponentName;)I

move-result v1

invoke-virtual {p1}, Lcom/android/email/SecurityPolicy$PolicySet;->getDPManagerPasswordQuality()I

move-result v2

if-ge v1, v2, :cond_3c

move v1, v5

.line 233

.line 235
        :cond_3c
        invoke-virtual {v0}, Landroid/app/admin/DevicePolicyManager;->isActivePasswordSufficient()Z

move-result v1

if-nez v1, :cond_44

move v1, v5

.line 236

.line 239
        :cond_44
        iget v1, p1, Lcom/android/email/SecurityPolicy$PolicySet;->mMaxScreenLockTime:I

if-lez v1, :cond_59

.line 241

invoke-virtual {v0, v1}, Landroid/app/admin/DevicePolicyManager;->getMaximumTimeToLock(Landroid/content/ComponentName;)J

move-result-wide v1

iget v3, p1, Lcom/android/email/SecurityPolicy$PolicySet;->mMaxScreenLockTime:I

mul-int/lit16 v3, v3, 0x3e8

int-to-long v3, v3

cmp-long v1, v1, v3

if-lez v1, :cond_59

move v1, v5

.line 242

:cond_59
        move v1, v6

.line 249

:cond_5b
        move v1, v5

.line 252
    .end method

isActiveAdmin:
    Code:
    .method public isActiveAdmin()Z
        .registers 3

.prologue
        .line 598
        invoke-direct {p0}, Lcom/android/email/SecurityPolicy;->getDPM()Landroid/app/admin/DevicePolicyManager;

move-result-object v0

.line 599
        .local v0, dpm:Landroid/app/admin/DevicePolicyManager;

invoke-virtual {v0, v1}, Landroid/app/admin/DevicePolicyManager;->isAdminActive(Landroid/content/ComponentName;)Z

move-result v1

return v1
    .end method

as you can see, these methods are doing stuff, editing lockscreen timeouts, password requirements, etc. This is the part we want to get rid of. So to "hack" it, just replace all the code in both of these methods (at the end they return either true or false - 1 or 0 depending on how the above code executed.) with a return value. they become as follows:
    Code:
    .method public isActive(Lcom/android/email/SecurityPolicy$PolicySet;)Z
        .registers 1
        .parameter "policies"

.prologue
        const/4 v0, 0x1

return v0

explanations of things changed:

.registers directive sets how many registers the method needs to have allocated to run, in our case, the only register is true/false, so just 1. the .line directives are not used by the assembler, so I don't include them in my mods thy are just there to help find java code from the bytecode, since that's what the .line directive point to. set v1 to 1 (true) and then return that value and that's it.
    and
    Code:
    .method public isActiveAdmin()Z
        .registers 1

.prologue
        const/4 v0, 0x0

return v0
    .end method

same as above, but return false...

so when it goes to check this stuff, it just automatically assumes the policies have been applied correctly and moves on with life. enjoy!

9. tannor

tannor Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for this great info!

One question once I am done and used smali to create new dex file, how do i reinsert into email.apk?

do I just copy it to the original email.apk that i extracted using 7zip, and then rezip it and change extension to apk?

Thanks

10. dschu012

dschu012 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all of the info, I am kind of new to this and am having issues following you steps. On my device the email.apk does not have a classes.dex but I do have a email.odex. I tried using baksmali and am getting
    Code:
    C:\andriod>java -Xmx512m -jar baksmali-1.3.0.jar -a 12 -d framework -x apps/Email.odex

Error occured while loading boot class path files. Aborting.
    org.jf.dexlib.Code.Analysis.ClassPath$ClassNotFoundException: Could not find interface Ljava/awt/datatransfer/Transferable;

That class is in rt.jar in my JRE, why wouldn't it be found....

11. raidzero

raidzero n00b.
    Theme Developer Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +3
    you must deodex your ROM first, cannot disassemble odex files.

12. dschu012

dschu012 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. Didn't need to deodex ROM. Just had to run that command I was running with the -I flag. I was then able to make the changes you suggested in the previous post and it is working well.

Search tags for this page
android 2.3.6 email.apk
android 2.3.6 gingerbread e-mail apk
apk email 2.3.6
cm7 email.apk exchange security

email apk gingerbread

email.apk without exchange security
hacked email apk
razr i orginal mail.apk
samsung email .apk
samsung galaxy s4 email apk