Elon Musk's Next Big Project will be a Robotic Maid

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
robot-house-maid.jpeg

The image above was found randomly on the web, and may not be representative of the topic.

It's a slow news Wednesday here at DF, so let's liven things up with an Off Topic topic.

Do any of you old timers remember "Rosie," the robotic maid from the 1960's animated cartoon The Jetsons? Apparently, a real life version of her is the next big project that Elon Musk is setting his sites on.

Elon Musk, Sam Altman, Ilya Sutskever, and Greg Brockton wrote the following in a post on the OpenAI blog, “We’re working to enable a physical robot (off-the-shelf; not manufactured by OpenAI) to perform basic housework.”

Apparently, the main problem with a house-maid robot isn't its physical characteristics and capabilities, but creating the Artificially Intelligent brain that runs it. Musk and team's goal will be to create a learning AI that not only can understand basic commands, but that can also ask questions when instructions are more complex. Here's another quote from the blog,

"We plan to build an agent that can perform a complex task specified by language, and ask for clarification about the task if it’s ambiguous. Today, there are promising algorithms for supervised language tasks such as question answering, syntactic parsing and machine translation but there aren’t any for more advanced linguistic goals, such as the ability to carry a conversation, the ability to fully understand a document, and the ability to follow complex instructions in natural language. We expect to develop new learning algorithms and paradigms to tackle these problems."

What do you guys think? Does Elon Musk have his big brain finger in too many pies, or is he just the guy to lead a charge and tackle this problem?

Lot of 10 - 2016 Great Britain 2 Pound 1 Troy Oz Silver Britannia Coins SKU38068

Last edited by a moderator:

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
He should stay focused on what's currently working programs, I have the Roomba for the floors, and that's all the robot I need or want, besides, I like employing someone to do the other cleaning, let's keep our people working and not replaced by cyborgs... ;)

Reactions: cr6

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
He should stay focused on what's currently working programs, I have the Roomba for the floors, and that's all the robot I need or want, besides, I like employing someone to do the other cleaning, let's keep our people working and not replaced by cyborgs... ;)
I agree, there's only so much a robotic maid would be able clean. It simply wouldn't be cost effective compared to hiring a human counterpart.
That's said, I do like that Musk continues to create and push the envelope in terms of his technological inventions. I thought for sure his Space X division would have bankrupted him by now.

S5 tap'n