[EITR] Death Of TouchPad (WebOS) And 3 Major OS Left

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Interesting article about WebOS:

AnandTech - It's Not Qualcomm's Fault: Dispelling TouchPad Myths

I never used it before. Last year I heard that WebOS just needed better hardware. Well...seeing how HTC Android devices and MS use Snapdragon for WP7 exclusively right now..and the magic they get out of it for Sense UI on Android devices and WP7...it seems this article might be on to something.

BoxcuttaStyle

Reaction score
I picked one up from B&N also. Although I won't feel completely comfortable until it ships. I can't imagine it will be long before android is available. Hopefully my order holds...

bendystrawboy

Reaction score
removing webOS and installing g bread on this would be a crime.
better application support and web is would be the perfect tablet os.

its scary to think the graphics aren't even hardware accelerated yet.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
removing webOS and installing g bread on this would be a crime.
better application support and web is would be the perfect tablet os.

its scary to think the graphics aren't even hardware accelerated yet.

There is a dev working to port Alien Dalvik to webOS. So Android apps can run on it. Same thing was done to the BB playbook. So there's two routes being taken, I hope both succees :D

end of line...

darkmatter

Reaction score
There is a dev working to port Alien Dalvik to webOS. So Android apps can run on it. Same thing was done to the BB playbook. So there's two routes being taken, I hope both succees :D

end of line...

In my other post, this is more what I was hoping than porting android onto it. slap android market on it and I'll be happy. Just ordered from barnes and noble, hopefully it will go through. I noticed the 32gig was still full price though.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
In my other post, this is more what I was hoping than porting android onto it. slap android market on it and I'll be happy. Just ordered from barnes and noble, hopefully it will go through. I noticed the 32gig was still full price though.

Someone else said that too about the 32gb. Odd.

Yeah I think I'd got for just being able to run Android apps and keep webOS. After a couple days with it I kinda like it.

end of line...

i can read

Reaction score
I am and engineering student and I was wondering if there was a way I could put autocad or chemcat onto it and use it that way and not carry around a laptop?

6bolt2g

Reaction score
Ordered a total of 4 over the weekend , all from different retailers. Will have to wait and see if I get any of them. I will be like christmas over the next two weeks.dancedroid I too am looking forward to the android port. But for most things I think the webOS will probably work fine. It seems quite smooth, at least on the demo model at the store.

Diab210

Reaction score
WebOS might not be dead from an app PoV, but the OS itself won't be seeing any updates now that HP canned it? I haven't looked too deeply into it, but some reviews I was reading seemed to show the CPU having issues keeping up with the OS (which, similar to what someone else already posted I don't see the dual core snapdragon is having any problems...)

npro1464

Reaction score
Is there any way to run Honeycomb on webOS? I know people have put Android on their iPads before, but if I could get it on the touchpad, it would be a viable Android tab for a bargain price.

Reaction score
Is there any way to run Honeycomb on webOS? I know people have put Android on their iPads before, but if I could get it on the touchpad, it would be a viable Android tab for a bargain price.

Honeycomb wouldn't run ON WebOS. It would replace it. Think wiping an install of Windows 7 to install Linux. Same deal here. WebOS is the Operating System not the hardware.

And yes it is being worked on. I suspect we will see Gingerbread on it first.

darkmatter

Reaction score
I think the touchpad might have succeeded, or at least have lasted longer than a couple months, if it had android market. IMO, people are willing to try new OSes,but don't want to start over on apps and stuff they've already purchased. Especially at this point, with iOS and android with established markets. I think there's room on the market for more operating systems, but not for markets.

Then again, I'm not sure how the playbook fits into my argument...

Reaction score
IMO, people are willing to try new OSes,but don't want to start over on apps and stuff they've already purchased.

Then they are not willing to try a new OS. The average end user doesn't know(or care) what an OS is. But they understand "you can't run your iPhone apps on this device". I've had a few customers of mine run out and on impluse buy a Mac only to discover none of there software would load on it. They really did not understand WHY that was the case. So for them Mac sucks. Yet most would argue that Mac is far superior to Windows.