eFuse in the new DX

gte6495

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new here, decided to post a little sumthin sumthin to get welcomed and ask a quick little question to you die-hard Android-ers.
Right now I have... *gulp* a Samsung Alias...:icon_eek:
Yeah, it really blows.

But anyways, I just today went to the VZW store and bought the X, as my first Android. Heard it was a great OS, decided I might try it out.
But I read about this eFuse thing put into the X, is it something to worry about? By not having the ability to root my new droid (which will hopefully arrive by next week) am I missing out? Or can I still do most of what Android is about without hacks?

mike919

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new here, decided to post a little sumthin sumthin to get welcomed and ask a quick little question to you die-hard Android-ers.
Yeah, it really blows.

But anyways, I just today went to the VZW store and bought the X, as my first Android. Heard it was a great OS, decided I might try it out.
But I read about this eFuse thing put into the X, is it something to worry about? By not having the ability to root my new droid (which will hopefully arrive by next week) am I missing out? Or can I still do most of what Android is about without hacks?

the X is not going to be rooted for some time. and when it IS rooted, the bootloader is signed so the ability to flash custom ROMS is not going to be there until some unlocks the bootloader.

The eFuse is NOTHING to worry about. all it does is prevent custom ROMS from being installed onto the device. If a ROM is attempted to be loaded onto the phone, the eFuse kicks in and reboots the phone into recovery and will not load until a valid signed OS is loaded back onto the phone.

cypherx82

Reaction score
Yeah, it really blows.

the X is not going to be rooted for some time. and when it IS rooted, the bootloader is signed so the ability to flash custom ROMS is not going to be there until some unlocks the bootloader.

The eFuse is NOTHING to worry about. all it does is prevent custom ROMS from being installed onto the device. If a ROM is attempted to be loaded onto the phone, the eFuse kicks in and reboots the phone into recovery and will not load until a valid signed OS is loaded back onto the phone.

This.

In a way, eFuse is there to keep you from breaking the phone.

Besides, you're really only missing out on tethering, OCing, some themes, and a little else with rooting. It's mostly for those who like to tinker with their phones constantly. I rooted my Droid, but then unrooted it with 2.1. It didn't interest me too much.

OP
G

gte6495

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! Ah, man 10 days is too many to wait...
At least I know that eFuse isn't the "self destruct" implementation that all the blogs and whatnaught had, and I really won't miss out on anything anyways. :yahoo: