[Editorial] Now That Samsung Was Found Liable, What are the Potential Ramifications?

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Aug 25, 2012.

1. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,003
    As far as Apple being a monopoly, that really requires a revision of the definition (and actually the DOJ has been struggling with that question, somewhat). But typically you need well over 80% of a market, even 90%+, to get broken-up. Apple is nowhere near that in any of its product lines. Actually where they have the most risk, and where the DOJ has been debating, is the combination of Itunes and App store.

2. jroc

jroc Silver Member

Ratings:
    +63
  3. GBH2

GBH2 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    This Samsung loss doesn't really mean very much at this point. This trial was a mess and this case will definitely be going to the US Court of Appeals.

The Android OS is safe and will continue to thrive and proliferate. All things considered, Apple has a lot to worry about in the future, especially with Googlerola stepping up to the plate and taking them on with their own legal challenges.

4. MissionImprobable

MissionImprobable Silver Member

Ratings:
    +169
    The other important point that has been mentioned is that this was for damages; it technically doesn't validate Apple's baseless patent claims yet.

5. sargentmajord

sargentmajord Silver Member

Ratings:
    +16
    I remember this an this is exactly what apple is doing. Plus apple will fall when motogoogle files a lawsuit against apple an they find out that half the patents that apple is claiming to have are actually owned an created by moto ie. Gps lock, swipe to scroll, radio software architecture to name a few

6. cybertec69

cybertec69 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +318
    Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

7. silverfang77

silverfang77 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +75
    The patent system as it is now allows the rich to fatten themselves at others' expense.

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk.

8. acousticshade

acousticshade Active Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Well, this is about to go in circles for awhile. Especially since one of the jurors basically admitted that they skipped over the whole prior art issue because they just couldn't agree on it. Jury of peers eh? More like jury of boneheads.

9. Beardface

Beardface Active Member

Ratings:
    +117
    If thats the case, the verdict is outrageous, cause thats the basis of a hung jury.

If they can't agree on the main argument that Samsung was presenting, then they did not come to a unified conclusion. They couldn't agree on the subject, so they threw it out of consideration, basically telling Samsung that this whole trial was a screwjob?

Thats horsecrap. Its bad enough that the judge disallowed most of Samsung's evidence in court, but now we find out that of the remaining information that they were allowed to present, the jury completely ignored it? Who in the hell did Apple pay off to get this?

10. GAstorino

GAstorino Active Member

Ratings:
    +26
    I am curious if people are thinking what I am that Apple might end up being forced to be broken up as a monopoly being it is getting too big and taking too large a share of the market. I think it keep putting itself out there as a target for such things. Instead of pushing out new technology it seems their whole marketing goal is one of lawsuits now. They didn't create the GUI, they didn't create a phone, they didn't create the mp3 player. They were near banckruptcy till Microsoft bailed them out with loans and created Office for the Mac. All they did was put a cleaner spin on someone elses inventions and patent ideas not actual product. All my friends have now said the lawsuit clinched it for them they are not buying into the new Apple phone and they are getting Androids. I think all these judges and juries around the world are being blinded by the GLITZ and mystic of Apple the company and not really looking at the realities. I hope they get knocked down a peg or two and come back to earth.

11. cybertec69

cybertec69 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +318
    Well, Samsung just lost $12 Billion in market share due to this court case, the market is hammering them big time.

12. silverfang77

silverfang77 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +75
    It's no less than Apple deserves. I hope they have a PR nightmare that ruins them. I looked forward to Google and Apple duking it out honorably in the free market, but after these dirty deeds, I hope Apple dies a withering death.

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk.

Search tags for this page

is the iphone 34 being recalled due to competitors law suit?