[Editorial] Now That Samsung Was Found Liable, What are the Potential Ramifications?

ekolis

Reaction score
No. They would just be banned from being sold.

So essentially it would create a black market in used Android devices (assuming it would be illegal to resell existing devices - otherwise just high resale prices)?

edit: oh dear, and what about retailers' and other distributors' stocks of existing new devices? They would be completely worthless unless dumped in some third-world country... o_O

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Apple will NEVER see another penny from me (though they haven't for years now already). Apple is screwed up, the courts are screwed up and most of all, the patent office is FUBAR.

ekolis

Reaction score
The problem isn't really that patents are too easy to get - they're quite expensive to apply for! But the rewards are too great, and inventors are easily exploited by corporations, who can afford the patent applications and lawsuits. "You can't possibly produce and market this cancer drug on your own, Dr. Genius! The only way you can do so is if you let us do it - but we demand the full ownership of the patent to it, otherwise millions will die!"

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
I thought monopolizing was illegal. It's quite clear that's the direction Apple is going with all of this childish nonsense. All of this should be making Apple look bad, as they are really acting childish. I've said it many times before, but Apple is really going to put a damper on the advancement of mobile technology at this rate.

npro1464

Reaction score
I think the glimmer of hope is that this could be "the worst is behind us." The first Galaxy devices aesthetically looked like iPhones. Early on, many of us even here admitted the resemblance and scoffed at the notion of getting a Samsung phone. Every other Android device has more originality. I also think this will force Google into litigation finally. Also, this should force reform within the US patent system.

Since its a civil suit, I guess there is no hope of a Supreme Court ruling that would immediately change the US patent system. I think its time tech manufacturers gang together and lobby Congress to change these stupid laws that allow patents on wedges and squares and allow companies to patent someone else's ideas. I just hope when the dust settles, we'll be able to have Android devices still. If not, I will stop using smartphones. I will never settle for a Windows phone and I will never own an iPhone.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
So essentially it would create a black market in used Android devices (assuming it would be illegal to resell existing devices - otherwise just high resale prices)?

edit: oh dear, and what about retailers' and other distributors' stocks of existing new devices? They would be completely worthless unless dumped in some third-world country... o_O

It isn't that big of a deal. Devices have been banned before. Back in like May or June HTC devices got banned for a bit. Also, like I put in my original post it would only be certain Samsung phones. Mainly the GS, GS2, and GN.

mantispid

Reaction score
I wonder if, at the end of all this, Apple ends up opening itself up to antitrust action. I wonder how well Apple's unified product philosophy will work if they're broken up into several companies.

Valvoline

Reaction score
It's sad that innovation lost. A company with inferior product claims the "top spot" in the industry. What a joke. It's like the makers of tft computer screens beating flat panel screens in court. Woohoo, suck wins! Apple really believes they can be the only tech company in the world. No cross licensing etc, complete bans??? Really? Besides buying my wife a nano (which she now hates although I warned get about iTunes) I have never in my life nor will i ever again spend a penny on Apple and I continue to ridicule and challenge the Apple fan boys. As a matter of fact I will pay to make Apple go away. Apple is a bully, and build get what they deserve in the end. (Side note: how in the world did they find 12 jury members that do not use android or Apple smart phones? Are they all on dumb phones or Windows? If they did use Apple or android, wouldn't they be biased?) Puck Apfle!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
As far as Apple being a monopoly, that really requires a revision of the definition (and actually the DOJ has been struggling with that question, somewhat). But typically you need well over 80% of a market, even 90%+, to get broken-up. Apple is nowhere near that in any of its product lines. Actually where they have the most risk, and where the DOJ has been debating, is the combination of Itunes and App store.

GBH2

Reaction score
This Samsung loss doesn't really mean very much at this point. This trial was a mess and this case will definitely be going to the US Court of Appeals.

The Android OS is safe and will continue to thrive and proliferate. All things considered, Apple has a lot to worry about in the future, especially with Googlerola stepping up to the plate and taking them on with their own legal challenges.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
The other important point that has been mentioned is that this was for damages; it technically doesn't validate Apple's baseless patent claims yet.

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
jroc said:
Thanks for this. Interesting read.

I remember this an this is exactly what apple is doing. Plus apple will fall when motogoogle files a lawsuit against apple an they find out that half the patents that apple is claiming to have are actually owned an created by moto ie. Gps lock, swipe to scroll, radio software architecture to name a few