Editorial: Is the Moto X Really Just a Droid Ultra in Sheep's Clothing?

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
With all the claims of customizable parts for the phone, it makes me think of toyota and the scion. But why do I want to customize the color of my phone when all i'm going to do is put it into a case??

You know that nobody is forcing you to customize, right?

Me, I appreciate the choice and I never use anything besides a screen cover.

EyeOWA

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I did this a month ago. It works. Haven't checked lately....no need to. Maybe Verizon has wised up.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Or you can just accept it takes a good 12-18 months to have a NOTICEABLE difference in tech, and buy used on EBAY for 1/3 retail.

I can get an S3 for $300 right now...is there really anything out there worth more money right now? Is there anything out there close to $300 that's noticeably better, right now?

Last edited:

azdrifter

Reaction score
I had wondered why I stayed away from these forums for so long,..and now I remember it never changes the same chatter all the time. Samsung is the God of smart phones Motorola just talks and never produces Android is the best. Never changes,but i see that most real people that I know barely know anything about rooting or roming their phones and are happy with just having the newest phones on the market whether or not they can unlock the bootloader or not.Samsung does have good software but their radios Suck! Motorola has good hardware but their software is behind Samsung all the time. And all other OEM phone builders are just way behind. Samsung is quickly becoming the New Apple and it's happening because everyone wants Motorola and all other phone companies to fail and only Samsung to be successful. I love android but lately I have been quite happy with using my Windows 8 phone mainly because everything works all the time and it doesn't require a software update every 3 days to fix all the bugs. I would like to see Google stick with one Build and perfect it before releasing it,that way your brand new phone doesn't have to be requiring a software update to be running the newest build 3 weeks after you pay Way too much money for it. But I guess that's just wishful thinking!
I know I'm going to get a lot of slack for writing this by all the Samsung and Google fan boys,but oh well sometimes the truth hurts !

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I think your correct! I also believe that all smart phones are being waaaay over priced!! I think a phone like the note 2 should be....400-450. Phones like this(sub 5 inch screen) should be around 300-350 depending on memory. I think a phones like the s4/one/z should be at 350-400.

phone should cost less vs tablets, screens are a HUGE expense.
i agree. in china, phones that would be considered top of the line as selling for half the price of what we're being charged for mid range phones. china needs to flood us with their phones to bring some competition to the states.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
i agree. in china, phones that would be considered top of the line as selling for half the price of what we're being charged for mid range phones. china needs to flood us with their phones to bring some competition to the states.

Please no. The U.S. should build their own phones and compete with China...some how. I don't want the market flooded with cheap phones from China. Actually...I guess that has already happened: Samsung, LG, Huawei, Pantech Casio, ZTE...ugh. No Mas.

I love android but lately I have been quite happy with using my Windows 8 phone mainly because everything works all the time and it doesn't require a software update every 3 days to fix all the bugs. I would like to see Google stick with one Build and perfect it before releasing it,that way your brand new phone doesn't have to be requiring a software update to be running the newest build 3 weeks after you pay Way too much money for it. But I guess that's just wishful thinking!
I know I'm going to get a lot of slack for writing this by all the Samsung and Google fan boys,but oh well sometimes the truth hurts !

What would America be if we couldn't respect a difference of opinion? I like Windows phone too. It was between that an an iPhone for the wife, and I opted for the iPhone, because I knew that better to help her with technical questions.

rza49311

Reaction score
You know that nobody is forcing you to customize, right?

Me, I appreciate the choice and I never use anything besides a screen cover.

Yes, I should have worded it better. I really just meant for it to be an observation.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Please no. The U.S. should build their own phones and compete with China...some how. I don't want the market flooded with cheap phones from China. Actually...I guess that has already happened: Samsung, LG, Huawei, Pantech Casio, ZTE...ugh. No Mas.
samsung, lg and pantech are korean companies, casio is japanese. huawei and zte i've yet to see in person in the states.

we need more competition in the states to bring prices of the phones down. same as nexus tablets are bringing the prices of tablets down. look at what was going on in tablet market before nexus released their 7. tablets were $500+ a pop, now they're down to $200.

oppo, acer and lenovo would be a welcome addition to the competition.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
samsung, lg and pantech are korean companies, casio is japanese. huawei and zte i've yet to see in person in the states.

Yeah, I knew that when I was typing it out.
Should have know that wouldn't slip by though. :happy3:

My point was I don't want the market flooded with cheap phones from China. I'd rather we build quality merchandise here at home. This is why I really dig the Moto X.

Motorola's Moto X Phone Will Be Made in America - ABC News