Editorial: Is the Moto X Really Just a Droid Ultra in Sheep's Clothing?

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
MotoX-unlockr-leaked-press-shot-black.png
droid-ultra-unlockr-leaked-press-shot-black.jpg

Much has been ballyhooed in the media about how the new Moto X is a mid-high ranged device with a price designed to conquer the emerging markets. The rumored aggressive pricing model for the Moto X is also likely meant to drive down prices of Android phones in other markets like the U.S. and the UK. Yet, if you dig a little and start putting all of the "rumint" together, you start to see a pattern emerge. If you investigate this pattern a bit deeper, you start to see that there is more to this beast than meets the eye.

At a precursory glance it's easy to see similarities with another device, namely the new Motorola Droid Ultra. However, what if the devices where more than just similar? In fact, perhaps the Moto X is really just a Motorola Droid Ultra in disguise. Take a look at the comparison evidence below suggesting that the two phones are really identical except for the obvious aesthetic differences.

Verizon earlier this week debuted the new Motorola Droid Ultra. Here's a list of some primary specs and software features revealed at the launch:
  • 5″ 720p OLED Display
  • 8-core processor architecture called X8 Mobile Computing - includes 2 application processor cores, 4 graphics process cores, 1 contextual computing core, and 1 natural language core.
  • 10-megapixel camera
  • 2GB Ram
  • Touchless controls
  • Active Display with Active Notifications
  • New Motorola Camera Software
  • Enhanced "Google Now" Voice Controls
Here's a list of all the intel (relevant to this discussion) we have gathered so far on the new Moto X:
  • A (dual-core) Qualcomm S4 Pro MSM8960DT 1.7GHz CPU, Adreno 320 (Quad-Core) GPU, 1 unspecified contextual computing core, 1 unspecified natural language core.
  • 4.7" 720p
  • 2GB of RAM
  • 10MP rear camera with flash
  • TouchLess Control
  • Active Display and Active Notifications
  • New Motorola Camera Software
  • Enhanced "Google Now" Voice Controls
Now, obviously, the display is slightly different here, but that is merely a result of dimensions and shape, not technological limitations. The evidence strongly suggests that both devices share the identical skeleton and guts. This is much like when comparing certain automobiles with different brands that are owned by the same parent company. GM is famous for using the same frame, engine and transmission across many of their different lines of cars.

Could this be the same business model, only this time it's in a smartphone? And, if this is true, does that make the Moto X a tremendous value (if the $300-350 pricing rumor turns out to be accurate)? Or, does that make the new Motorola Droid Ultra an over-priced device? Share your thoughts in the thread.

Source: MotoXForums.com

Last edited:

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Yes sir, I do believe once August 1st rolls on by we will be looking at the Droid Ultra in a X's body. Unless some new rumor pops up between now and then, that totally contradicts the rumored specs and features, I'm sticking to this assessment.

combatmedic870

Reaction score
I think your correct! I also believe that all smart phones are being waaaay over priced!! I think a phone like the note 2 should be....400-450. Phones like this(sub 5 inch screen) should be around 300-350 depending on memory. I think a phones like the s4/one/z should be at 350-400.

phone should cost less vs tablets, screens are a HUGE expense.

Last edited:

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
@Motorola
:work3:
It wouldn't surprise me that Moto would pull a stunt like that. Any company can throw around the word "innovation" but how many of them really get what it means and can actually deliver?

Some of the innovations that motorola scrapped:

Slide-out physical keyboard.
Removable, user-swap-able battery.

(an embedded battery is not an innovative idea, Apple did it with the very first iPhone and every model thereafter)
A better idea might be to make the battery slide in like an sdcard or game cartridge and then just have a small cover or flap. From the front the Moto X looks a bit to much like a Samsung device. I like the unique corner design of the Droid 4 an some of the other device moto released around the same time. I thought the point of different brands and devices was to set your company apart from the competition not mimic them.

Even without a physical keyboard it's looking more and more likely that my next phone will be a Samsung; they're the only ones still pushing the envelope.

Last edited:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think your correct! I also believe that all smart phones are being waaaay over priced!! I think a phone like the note 2 should be....400-450. Phones like this(sub 5 inch screen) should be around 300-350 depending on memory. I think a phones like the s4/one/z should be at 350-400.

If folks will pay $600 for something, the manufacturer is sure to price it accordingly and grab all the $ they can while they can.
Someone, imo, is seeing a price saturation point (bubble) coming soon and counteracting it much like with tablets. It's like the housing bubble. Folks paid WAY too much for new homes, creating a huge bubble that the sudden shockingly large increase in fuel prices, which in turn also led to real world inflation across the spectrum, popped the it with a loud crash. Many analysts saw it but either refused to speak out or were told to sit down and shut up The new share plans and rent a phone plans are the needle in the smartphone price bubble and I'm glad someone is forward thinking for once and being listened to.

Support Our Troops! !!!
<><
From a Beano

comk4ver

Reaction score
I too was beginning to wonder the point of releasing the moto x and the droid family. But it could be that the droid x is the droid ultra for all other carriers with Verizon having exclusivity for three months on the mid range and lower range phones.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Errr... I think the Droid Ultra is slightly better hardware wise, and it looks awesome! Moto X is nothing to sneeze at, but compared...meh. Give me a screen guard to protect against screen damage, and the world can see my Kevlar in all it's glory.

However, money does talk. If I could get a Moto X for about the same price as the Ultra, without it being subsidized, then count me in.

rza49311

Reaction score
With all the claims of customizable parts for the phone, it makes me think of toyota and the scion. But why do I want to customize the color of my phone when all i'm going to do is put it into a case??

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
However, money does talk. If I could get a Moto X for about the same price as the Ultra, without it being subsidized, then count me in.

Actually, most of the intel is indicating that the Moto X will sell unsubsidized for half the price of the Droid Ultra ($300 versus $600), so you will likely get your wish.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
If folks will pay $600 for something, the manufacturer is sure to price it accordingly and grab all the $ they can while they can.

Except not many people are actually paying $600 for phones - they pay $200-$300 and then the carrier throws in a subsidy. I don't believe phones would sell for $600+ if not for the carrier subsidies skewing the market.

comk4ver

Reaction score
I think the most important part is if it'll sell for Verizon at $350 unsubsidized.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

1coopgt

Reaction score
So if you want a Droid Ultra and you want to keep your Unlimited data plan what do you do ..... $600. Unless you want to add a second line at 1gig(subsidized) then turn off the data then move the new phone over to the unlimited line ( how much do you pay for the second line at that point ?) .

sb1831

Reaction score
So if you want a Droid Ultra and you want to keep your Unlimited data plan what do you do ..... $600. Unless you want to add a second line at 1gig(subsidized) then turn off the data then move the new phone over to the unlimited line ( how much do you pay for the second line at that point ?) .

Not sure this works anymore. Had a friend recently try to sneak an upgrade by adding an additional line and then switching it out to a "dumphone" he was told he'd be billed the remainder of the unsubsidized price if he chose to do so...