Editing XML files; or the ones I need to

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Jim 777, May 25, 2010.

1. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

I searched for an hour and decided to just ask.

I'm at a stand still with the latest mod to the dialer. Since there are only two PNG files for the tabs (selected and unselected) I can't swap in four different pics for them so I went with replacing the icons that are normally there.
    I'm shooting for having a picture populate the text area and the tabs. The four tabs would make up pieces of the picture. I've made the images (both selected nad unselected) and put in place. However, even though I removed the PNGs that are the gray and dark gray tabs, they still show up behind the images I made. Wouldn't be too bad, but something is resizing my images down to what I think is the size of the original icon files. I'm thinking this is through one of the xml files.

So that brings me to my question, what is a simple program I can download to edit the files? I can open in like Dreamweaver or HxD Hex Editor (which I downloaded to try out) but they are still gibberish. What do I need?

Here's where I'm at now, you can see what I mean.

[​IMG]
  2. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

Well, upon further inspection, it seems this may be the least of my worries.

When I go to contacts, or favorites, and I choose a contact, I get android.process.acore force closes everytime.

What messed that up?
  3. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

Just to keep the one-way conversation going, restored to after I modded the buttons on the dialer as I knew everything functioned.

So then I went step by step..... backwards! until I got to where it should have worked, and it didn't. But I backed up the Contacts.apk first and once I put that back in, it worked again.

So I trashed all the files on the desktop and brought that one over to try again. I put in the nose of the bike in to the text area and the slightly grayed over image for when you are typing and it still works (remember it didn't when going backwards before).

So I just back ed up and now try the tab edits again. If they kill it, well, then I'm just lost.
  4. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

In case anyone is actually following this thread, it's all working agian. The only thing I can come up with as being the issue, is because I was working on numerous themes for the dialer, and they are all on my desktop, I renamed the drawable-hdpi-finger folders to keep things straight. I was dragging them in to the opened 7zip windows, deleting the existing folder and renaming the one I just drug in. I think this process screwed something up somewhere. Doesn't make sense to me, but who knows.

I would like to bump a refocus to the OP as that still really interests me.
  5. Liquid Fusion

Liquid Fusion New Member

Amazing!!!!!! Great!!!!!!

Now all you need is flames / smoke / fire - to jet out from the images when you press a key / image at the top of dialer!!!
    Last edited: May 28, 2010
  6. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

I could do that. I decided to leave the images you see on press state the stock ones, but I could do something like that.
Search tags for this page
android edit xml app
android xml edit

android xml editor

download xml editor for android
edit and save platform xml file android

edit android xml

edit android xml files
edit platform.xml on droid razr m
google android xml editor for windows

how to edit android xml files

how to edit file platform.xml on android 4.2