editing XML - 2 questions

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by jntdroid, May 4, 2010.

1. jntdroid

jntdroid DF Super Moderator Premium Member

Ratings:
    +292
    I run a "pure" stock root (i.e. adb). The past few days I've been learning a lot about editing and applying themes, mainly through the framework-res.apk images, etc. (thanks to 928droid, who's latest MM theme is very slick)

I want to learn more about how the xml files tie into the theming b/c I'd like to be able to basically do with my phone exactly what I want (I don't expect any of my stuff to be interesting enough to share :)), like something as small as adding a different image to the status drop down background. But for the life of me I can't open any of the existing xml files in any of the xml editors I've tried - I get error messages every time. So, my two questions:

1. What am I missing on opening the xml files? Do they need to be edited another way? I'm sure it's something stupid, but like I said, still learning...
    2. Do I even need to mess with the xml files, or do all of you who create themes just edit the image files and not mess with the xml?
    Thanks!

2. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I created my own themes and such by pulling my whole system/app and the framework-res to my PC and changing all the PNG files, then pushing the files back. Vending.apk is an issue since there was an update that is on the data/app - which I am having trouble editing. I also pulled all my apps from data/app and changed the ones I wanted, re-signed the APK, and reinstalled them. Some have issues, others work flawlessly. Great for custom icons.

Ad for XML, you need a Hex Editor, and I tried to get into that but it was like learning Spanish in high school, I failed... read up on it, its confusing!

3. jntdroid

Ratings:
    +292
    Ok, so the hex editor will read the binary data, or the "raw" data of the files... but I thought XML and HTML were kind of like cousins, and that XML could be edited like HTML? What is it about these files? And Spanish probably isn't a good comparison, I'd say more along the lines of some ancient unknown dialect... :)

4. thebowers

thebowers Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    For XML's you need a hex editor like HxD. These xml' are not in raw format but in binary. If you want to see the raw of the xml there is a tool called AXMLPrinter2.jar and is also available in GUI now. There is lots more to do and look at. So, search away and read, read, reread, read, read, try, read and keep at it.

5. jntdroid

Ratings:
    +292
    ok cool - i appreciate the info