1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Editing Framework-res (or, how I almost bricked my phone)

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by p0rk burn, Dec 16, 2009.

1. p0rk burn

p0rk burn New Member

Even though this originates from trying to change the appearance, I feel it fits better under Hacks than Themes. After rooting, installing the custom ROM, busybox, the transparent notification bar/shade, and custom boot animation, I decided to try to change some more things. Drunk on noob-juice, I thought that I could unpack framework-res, change the colors on some of the icons, and repack it and move back to the Droid.

My first clue should have been my icon was a different size than the original. After installing everything I rebooted only to find my phone stuck at the white M. Long story short, thanks to the SirPsychos custom rom, I was able to adb the original framework back into /system/framework and return the phone to working order.

Moral of the story: even if you think you know what you are doing you probably don't. If you are a fool and don't let minor details like that bother you make sure to install a ROM so you can fix what you will inevitably botch. I'm happy to say this was nothing more than a learning experience and I'm glad I was able to sort it out without having to plead for help.
  2. lvlln

lvlln New Member

Which version of the custom rom did you install? I've seen it go to 0.10 very quickly, and I'm waiting on a stable version before I try installing the custom image.
  3. cellulararrest

cellulararrest New Member

.11 is out. Why don't you just use nandroid? Near instantaneous restore to a perfectly working device no matter what you do (nearly). You don't even have to use ADB anymore.
  4. p0rk burn

p0rk burn New Member

I used .10 because I installed that was the most recent stable version two days ago when I installed it.

Is Nandroid out now?
  5. cellulararrest

it has been for a few releases. .11 was released this morning and includes menu options for backup and restore. You don't need to run it from ADB anymore. As easy as it gets.
  6. tdawg5480

tdawg5480 New Member

where can i find this ive searched for custom recovery .11 and can not find i found a .10.2 version though
  7. cellulararrest

8. tdawg5480

tdawg5480 New Member

thanks celluararrest I just googled droid-devs found the site with .11 but before i posted it wasnt must of been my browsers cache or suttin go figurethen time i go to download they are forewarning about downtime of the site grrrrr:icon_evil::icon_ banana:
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
Search tags for this page
framework res
framework tool bricked phone

framework-res

framework-res deäŸiåŸtirme sorunu
framework-res editor root
framework-rez
framework.res editing
how do i change the framework-res
how to edit framework-res
icon pack framework.res