editing Build.prop

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by woodyman, Jan 27, 2010.

1. woodyman

woodyman Senior Member Developer

Ratings:
    +4
    Im currently using a rooted motorola droid running 2.1, and saw this while browsing the internet earlier today..

Android 3.1 On HTC Phandroid Phone! | Android Phone Fans

idk how many people would like to change what the phone says, but i would personally like to know how change this on my phone..

i already copied the original build.prop onto my SD card and made a new one with what i would like it to say, but i have no idea how to replace the original one on my phone with my modified one, i have a terminal emulator installed and need help from there...

any suggestions.?

2. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Woody,

You have two things to do. You need to rename the one on the phone to phone.prop.bak or something, and move the new one over.

To do so you are gonna need adb on the pc, or one of the explorer programs that have su access to change permissions and/or copy to the system. I use Root Explorer or SUFSB. You need these or adb to copy the file over, change permission (chmod) and to change the r/w status of the system. Astro will not work.

Craig

3. woodyman

Ratings:
    +4
    I have a terminal emulator app on my droid, how do I go about doing all that, I've never used adb shell before and need help.. thanks

4. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Woody,

Here's a portion of the script file that I use in terminal to move my files. This assumes you have the build.prop at root in your sd card, and your busy box works. PLEASE BE WARNED that the rm command renames your existing file to a bak file where it cannot be read by the phone. I can only image the ugliness that will happen to your phone if you rename this file, and get hung up with the rest of the files before getting a functioning one on your phone. DO NOT reboot your phone until you confirm you have build.prop back in /system from your sd card. Probably a boot loop if you do not, or brick. If you do not have adb working, you are climbing a cliff with no safety rope. Heck, I am climbing with you by even posting this.

su
    mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    mv /system/build.prop /system/build.prop.bak
    cd sdcard
    busybox cp -R build.prop /system
    chmod 644 /system/build.prop
    mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    sync
    reboot

Craig

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  5. woodyman

Ratings:
    +4
    Yeah its not important enough to risk that, but thanks for you help.. i don't think im willing to take that chance quite yet..

6. forkup

forkup Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I can only imagine the ugliness of using the rm command which REMOVES a file when they wanted to rename it which is the command mv (move to new filename).

7. Finnstang

Finnstang Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have seen that mistake on this site multiple times.

8. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Fork,

good catch, as it was part of a larger script file. The command was to delete a file that may or may not have been on his system, a backup file, not the actual phone prop file, and would not created any kind of problem in either case. I tested it out. Just wanted to be sure that his current working prop file had a home to go to in the event he needed to restore it.

He did say 2.1 rom, and some of the folks are incorporating the video hack as part of the installation. I am not up on all roms and how they deal with the/a backup prop file if incorporating the video hack.

I went ahead and edited my post, just in case a terminal return of no file found confuses anyone.

Craig

9. sycomix

sycomix New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    does anyone have a copy of the stock frg22d build.prop i can take a look at please?
    Never mind, i found what i was looking for.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  10. xkape

xkape Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +37
    uh, correct me if I am wrong here but you can change all that by editing the framework-res.apk file? One of those xml's has a list of what it says. Except maybe I am thinking about the wrong line and say instead of it saying baseband it says "You da man" or something.

11. MohanadMK

MohanadMK New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Great !!

Bear in NM
    I just registered to tell you thank you, your codes were helpful to me.
    And for other new HTC Flyer users, to have S-OFF or unlock your phone simply follow the "simple steps" on http://www.htcdev.com
    H
    ave it rooted by SuperOneClick , (Shell root, worked for me with the option of psneuter exploit) you may also need to check the thread for updates.

Great stuff !!

Regards.

Search tags for this page
android build.prop

build.prop

build.prop android location
build.prop location
edit build.prop
how to edit build prop android
how to edit build.prop
how to modify build.prop
where is build.prop