Edit Videos

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
What do you guys, if you edit videos you shoot, edit them with? What is the default Google app? Do you use it? Do you use something else?

(Acci caps, forgive me, not fixing it - OK fixed it)

I don't think what comes on my Moto is stock. If it is...it sucks.
Trying to talk boss into Pixel. He really wants something to edit his clips like his brother does on the iPhone. HE DOES NOT WANT AN IPHONE! (caps-on-purpose). Love him for that.

Last edited:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I use Video Toolbox. I don't remember what I paid for it years ago but I got it to format videos on my standalone cameras to work on my phones before MX Player worked for whatever format standalone cameras use.
I use it to edit, shorten, as stitch as well as reformat.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I don't know that the stock Google option offers more than clipping of video.

I've tried these:
VivaVideo: Free Video Editor - Android Apps on Google Play
Video Editor - Android Apps on Google Play

This was about a year ago that I tried either. Neither would export more than something like 720p video. No full HD or above. Not sure if that's still the case.

Both allowed adding titles, splicing multiple videos together, etc.

I currently have this one PowerDirector Video Editor App - Android Apps on Google Play on my Pixel XL, but haven't really played with it enough to give a verdict on it in general. It does seem to be on-par with the others, but I believe it offers the ability to export in HD. May require an in-app purchase though. Can't recall.

I do some light YouTubing and I use my PC to edit all of those videos. Bigger screen, greater control over where the cursor is for clipping/splitting/etc.

For light video editing, those apps I listed above aren't bad, though.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Gee, this forum gets less traffic then the LG one. lol Not many Pixel people here?
Testing out PowerDirector. I'll report back.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Kind of a specific question. Pixel people or not, I'm sure there are plenty of Android phone owners who've never tried to "seriously" edit video other than some light cropping/etc that can be done with a basic app. On their phone, at least.

And, given the less than HD results I've seen with the ones I tried, not to mention the PITA it can be to work with these apps, especially when you want a clean cut at a specific spot, not 1 second before or after that spot, I can't say I blame them...

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
It's a phone not a video editor. They make these cool devices called computers for that.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I didn't want to ask generally because who knows what Sammy or LG put on their phones. He's not exactly looking to make pro videos. Just something at least as good as whatever Apple uses.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
It's a phone not a video editor. They make these cool devices called computers for that.

Wow, that was helpful. Aren't cell phones REALLY just tiny computers? We aren't looking to do high end full scale video editing here, although it looks like Power Director pretty much fits that bill. No need for a computer.

I really think he just wants to edit (crop) clips and maybe splice a little. I assume the default app can do that? Is it an actual app or is it all handled in the Google Photos app?

Come on, work with me here people. :D

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It's all handled in Photos.

If we do the legwork of your research for you, does that mean we can expect part of your paycheck in the mail? :p

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Spoken like an iPhone owner.
I haven't needed my desktop in years, including editing material.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><
As a VERY amateur YoutTuber, I've tried it both ways. Last time I made a video, I was ready to throw my PC against the wall because of the issues I was having with my editing software. I would still choose that method over the ones I've tried on my phone.

One thing I didn't like with PowerDirector when I started to try it out is that it converts 4k to 1080p for editing purposes. I totally get why they do that, but it doesn't do it in the background. If you tap on another part of the app while the status window is showing you the progress of the conversion, it stops the conversion and goes back to the app. It takes long enough to convert 5-10 minutes of 4k to 1080p that the second time I accidentally stopped it was enough to put me off of that app for a while.

I'll still try it out down the road for real, but I was doing that while dealing with my PC software giving me trouble as well, so I was done with videos that day and haven't had time to shoot anything more or play with editing since.

I did get a recommendation for some inexpensive PC software that I want to try out that day, too though.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><
I've never owned an Apple device. I'd love to see you guys do my job on a phone.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Remote Desktop FTW.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk